Austin Bracket

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought this was funny. Esteemed blogger Aaron Gleeman has Utah beating UTEP, Oklahoma and Kentucky and making it to the Elite Eight. I wonder what the odds on those are.

http://www.aarongleeman.com/

My biggest second-round upset is Utah over Oklahoma. I'd feel a lot more comfortable with the pick if their point guard was healthy, so it's basically just an "Andrew Bogut is really, really good" pick.

And yes, I'm sticking with Bogut and the Utes to knock off Kentucky. Don't ask me why, because I really don't have a good reason. In fact, Utah isn't even a sure thing to win their round-one matchup with UTEP, yet I now have them in the Elite Eight.

I got this as my bracket where all the wierd s*** happens. I got Utah getting by UTEP and beating OU. After that, I think it gets really wierd. I have absolutely no faith in Kentucky, and I think they go down if they play Cincinnati. Both teams play some decent defense, but I like Cinci's scoring potential better. Hicks and Maxiell are tough inside, and I think they'll get enough scoring from the perimeter. I see Hayes and Azubuike struggling, so unless Sparks comes up with another monster game, I think they go down. I got them taking Utah also, but I have Cuse taking everyone on the other side of the bracket and going to the Final Four.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

I really don't think Duke will get out of the Sweet 16, whether it's Syracuse or MSU. Cuse's zone will make it tough for Williams to be a major factor, and one would assume that they will clamp down on Redick. If they can do both of those with some success, I don't think Duke's other players can win it for them. As for MSU, despite the fact that Duke beat them earlier, I think they can take them now. They were keeping up with Duke most of the game at Cameron, and Redick and Ewing shot the lights out in that game. On a neutral court without Dockery, I think MSU's depth gets them the win.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Mar 14, 2005 -> 05:47 PM)
I really don't think Duke will get out of the Sweet 16, whether it's Syracuse or MSU. Cuse's zone will make it tough for Williams to be a major factor, and one would assume that they will clamp down on Redick. If they can do both of those with some success, I don't think Duke's other players can win it for them. As for MSU, despite the fact that Duke beat them earlier, I think they can take them now. They were keeping up with Duke most of the game at Cameron, and Redick and Ewing shot the lights out in that game. On a neutral court without Dockery, I think MSU's depth gets them the win.

i too think that MSU can beat Duke now, but the problem is that they cant beat Cuse. which is why i got Cuse over them and Duke but losing to UNC.

QUOTE(shagar69 @ Mar 14, 2005 -> 04:41 PM)
Many people, including me are gettin on the Cuse bandwagon. Any of you guys (besides vitale) like Duke to make the final four?

I like Duke to win the bracket. I have 'cuse losing to the Coppentines, I think 'cuse is being way overrated going into the tourny but that's jmo.

QUOTE(shagar69 @ Mar 14, 2005 -> 02:59 PM)
i too think that MSU can beat Duke now, but the problem is that they cant beat Cuse.  which is why i got Cuse over them and Duke but losing to UNC.

My tough pick was Duke over MSU but I went with it. I have OU going down to Iowa. But I'm biased.

for this bracket i like the Cuse to take it all the way to the final four. The dookies just dont match up well against the orange.

I don't think their is any match-up problems for us. With that 2-3 zone, Redick will be able to get some good open looks, which he has grown accustomed to not getting anymore. Any inch of daylight that guy sees at the basket, will be automatic for him. We'll probably have melchionni on Warrick which will hurt us, but I don't see any problems coming for Mcnamara. We'll have Ewing on him, and just yesterday, Majerus compared Ewing's on-the ball defense to Chris Duhon; and we all saw how he was able to handle Ben Gordon in the Final Four.

As for Michigan State, we've faced them twice in 2 years with very similar teams. In the first game at Michigan State, we beat them by (I believe) 30 points. When we her home the game was decided in the middle of the 2nd half, but yet again we went cold at the end of the game, and they made a run to get it under ten points. Believe me, it wasn't as close as the score indicated. We never have problems with Tom Izzo and I don't expect that to happen now. I'd rather see Michigan State then Syracuse, even though, we will beat both.

As for Kentucky, I was so gald to see them in our bracket. First off, because they have really annoying, uneducated fans, and 2nd, because I think they are the most overrated team in the country right now. Would anyone hear actually take Azibuike over Shelden Williams? What about Sparks over Ewing? Do they have anyone who can guard Redick? They just don't match up very well against us.

As for Oklahoma, we played them on a neutral court already at the Garden and beat them pretty routinely. It was close at times, and they made a run at the end of the game, but I don't thinkany Duke fan was really worried too much. Williams had the advantage ober Bookout all night (Bookout-9 pts-2 rebounds), and Taj Gray was the one player who really gave us problems. Ewing also was able to play great defense on Lavender (8 points, 3 assists).

We're going to the Final Four.

I deleted a couple of anger induced posts here. I just want to say to Butter Parque that I, as a UK fan, have always respected Coach K and the Duke program and I resent your remarks about UK fans. Yes, Duke is a better team this year. Great, Enjoy it. Just don't be so f***ing classless.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 15, 2005 -> 07:29 AM)
I deleted a couple of anger induced posts here.  I just want to say to Butter Parque that I, as a UK fan, have always respected Coach K and the Duke program and I resent your remarks about UK fans.  Yes, Duke is a better team this year.  Great,  Enjoy it.  Just don't be so f***ing classless.

Its pretty much Duke fans calling the kettle black if you ask me. I admire the institution and the program that Coach K has put together, but I would be hard pressed to find a team I hate as much as Duke, and it is solely because of their fans. And I know there are many, many, many people who would agree with me.

I deleted a couple of anger induced posts here. I just want to say to Butter Parque that I, as a UK fan, have always respected Coach K and the Duke program and I resent your remarks about UK fans. Yes, Duke is a better team this year. Great, Enjoy it. Just don't be so f***ing classless

Obviously not every Kentucky fan is an idiot, and you probably aren't, BUT, I can show you some other boards with members that back up my statements, i can also show you some posts by UK members on there, that fully show how accurate my statement is.

i.e.)

And no, UK has no reason to be jealous of Duke considering we've had a far more successful program then them in College Basketball.

This is from a UK fan, now this statement is pretty true, they have more titles then us, lately we have been much better then them, but still, they are a more successful program then us. Now comes the response to that post by another KY fan:

Cats if you don't count cheating you are correct KY has been more successful than Duke.If cheating is counted obviously it's Duke over Ky.

This is where they begin to show their real colors, Cheating? When, the Corey maggette thing? You've got to be kidding me. That might be the weakest statement ever. Now someone questions his statement and he responds back:

Everyone knows Duke has "cheated" but just haven't been "caught". Talk to me when you guys get 7 National titles.

Now the fan feels he must continue these false statements.

This is from a KY fan inrespons to someone else's post in the same thread. (I must tell you that this is on Duke Boards!

Hey GAY tor you like them UK leftovers pretty godd up there in Loserville?You know the coach who A$$ got handed to him from UK this year.The coach who will never win another NC.The coach who only realy had good luck while @ UK.

BTW that 98 game was great.When that little Wojo acted like he was in the cobra and started acting like he was being ripped limb from limb while laying on the floor...Now that was funny stuff. Id like to see that pic again, that guy has to be the best midget actor in history....besides mini me!

Ah, now we're talking about a college student being ripped limb from limb. Show me the intelligence.

I'm not saying all KY fans are dumb, some are fine, and yes some Duke fans are arrogant. I don't think thats me, I just hate when everyone just says "F Duke :finger" and then leaves it at that. But, in my experiences with talking with other colleges' fans, I just believe that they show the most hatred, envy, whatever you want to call it, against Duke and College basketball in general.

Those quotes were taken from Devils Illustrated.

Edited by Butter Parque

And you don't think you could go and find the same kinds of posts from Duke fans on a Carolina board? All message boards have those kind of posts. Hell you could pick a half dozen posts of off this board just like that. But I guess that means we are all jealous Sox fans. :rolly

Like I said, its arrogence like your post, that makes me not able to stand Duke. You went out of your way to find the dumbest UK supporters you could and used that as evidence, with the connotation that only poor Duke fans have to put up with that. Please.

SS2K5 is 100% correct. There are many many Kentucky fans the REALLY KNOW THEIR s***. Your post was bordering on, no not bordering it in fact was, prejudous. It was making an assumption about a group of people, based on your experience with a select few. Now, if you want to talk about being ignorant, you sir, have supplied us with a perfect example of ignorance.

But, I won't make the assumption that all Duke fans are of the same caliber.