Willie over Iguchi?

DBAHO

Interesting little piece here from the Southtown;

It's been assumed from the start of spring training that Tadahito Iguchi would be the White Sox's starting second baseman on Opening Day.

Sox general manager Ken Williams put a little doubt in that assumption Monday.

Despite the fact Iguchi was hitting .263 entering Monday's game against the Cubs — compared to a .176 mark by Willie Harris — Williams said Harris has not only closed the gap between the two, but has put himself in position to leapfrog Iguchi.

Williams also said he told manager Ozzie Guillen to play the best player and not be concerned if Iguchi, who was signed as a free agent this offseason and will be paid nearly $5 million over the next two years, begins the season on the bench.

"I told Ozzie I don't care what the contracts are," Williams said. "That's my fault, not his fault. All I care about is winning."

Asked if second base could become a platoon situation, Williams didn't discount that idea.

"All I know is that I have two pretty good players over there and Ozzie has the latitude to use them however he wants," Williams said. "They'll dictate who plays. The reason (the Iguchi) move was made was the last couple of months of the season I challenged Willie, told him exactly what was expected of him, and did not feel comfortable going into (the 2005) season with that being our only option.

"The other guy (Iguchi), if it all comes together, he's a level up (over Harris),'' Williams added. "But there is an adjustment period that he has to go through."

One thing Williams did notice is Harris finally is playing with some urgency this spring.

"Yeah, and I like it," Williams said. "He came in here with a great attitude, the desire, the determination to prove me wrong and I love it. Sometimes these guys forget that I traded for them. You don't think I want them to do good? Ozzie is good about finding guys that are playing well; he's good about finding (playing) time for them."

Harris is maintaining the attitude the job is Iguchi's, and that if Harris wants it, he has to earn it.

"I'm still looking at it as he's the guy," Harris said. "In order for me to play, I've got to change their minds. 'Guch" is a great guy, makes a lot of money. I want to play just as bad as he does.

"I think it's going to come down to me facing all the adversity and going out and getting the job done. If I can work my way back in there, that will be wonderful for me. My goal will be accomplished. We still have two weeks left and my goal is to get after it every day."

Harris said the Iguchi signing lit a fire under him.

"I was (ticked) off, to be honest with you," Harris said. "The move didn't surprise me at all, but I felt that it was just my turn to play, to get a shot. But they signed him to make the team better.

"I didn't have a great year last year. I can understand why they did it. It got to the point where I said to myself, 'Just play the game, tune everything out.' That's what I'm doing. I'm working hard and trying to change minds. That's what I'm focusing on.

"I know the situation. The guy makes millions of dollars, he's got to play, and he's going to play. I hope he does well. I don't wish anything bad upon him. We're not here to beat upon each other. We're here to beat up on other teams. With the type of manager we have, you're going to get your chances to play."

He's encouraged with Willie's 4-19, but upset with Iguchi hitting 5-21, starting agianst 3 or 4 very good right handers, in his first two weeks seeing American pitching? What am I missing? They ahven't even let Iguchi see a left hander yet. What a strange statement from KW.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 15, 2005 -> 07:07 AM)
He's encouraged with Willie's 4-19, but upset with Iguchi hitting 5-21, starting agianst 3 or 4 very good right handers, in his first two weeks seeing American pitching? What am I missing? They ahven't even let Iguchi see a left hander yet. What a strange statement from KW.

The little things. Harris has actually been doing what he should have been doing for years now. Iguchi has looked rough, including some bad defense thus far. This could be as simple as KW trying to wake up Tad, the sameway he sent a message to Shingo last year, by warning that people who thought they were guarenteed a spot on the team, were not.

QUOTE(black jack @ Mar 15, 2005 -> 07:11 AM)
he's just trying to boost willie's trade value.

that's all I can think of with this article. heard levine yesterday said look for the whitesox to trade for a SS/3B but he said no names yet.

QUOTE(bulokis @ Mar 15, 2005 -> 07:42 AM)
that's all I can think of with this article. heard levine yesterday said look for the whitesox to trade for a SS/3B but he said no names yet.

Levine is such a wind bag. I'm stunned when he actually knows the players currently on the team, forget players who we might acquire.

he's just trying to boost willie's trade value.

Bingo! This is pretty obvious. Iguchi's contract indicates that he will be our starting 2nd baseman. Kenny is just trying to hype Willie up as our starter even though he's having a crappy spring to make teams offer up more for him in a trade. And with the way Pablo Ozuna has been playing, it looks more and more like we need a backup 3rd baseman to cover Crede's sorry ass. Rob Mackowiak anyone?

Edited by Jabroni

It sounds a lot like KW being tired of questions about 2b--not slamming either willie or Tadahito. --"it's up to the manager" spiel but testy with the media. Interesting that only the Sun times had anything remotely resembling 2b up for grabs.

Iguchi has probably shown enough that willie could be showed the door. [and a trade get a SS/ 3b man who could take over for Uribe if he or Iguchi gets hurt or are terribly slumping].

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 15, 2005 -> 07:38 AM)
The little things.  Harris has actually been doing what he should have been doing for years now.  Iguchi has looked rough, including some bad defense thus far.  This could be as simple as KW trying to wake up Tad, the sameway he sent a message to Shingo last year, by warning that people who thought they were guarenteed a spot on the team, were not.

I thought that was directed towards Wunsch...?

KW is telling Oz to manage, I like that.

KW is taking responsibility for the contracts, I like that.

I love competition and if Ozzie believes Harris is the starter, I like the fact that KW has given OZ the green light to play a guy based on merit not paychecks.

we need tad to start because hes a perfect number 2, willie would bat 9th.....KW is impressed by willies attitude? who the f*** cares about his attitude, he only has four hits!

Iguchi all the way. :headbang

>why would the sox want a backup I/f? ozuna, thus far, has earned the job.

:gosox1:

QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 15, 2005 -> 11:41 AM)
KW is telling Oz to manage, I like that.

KW is taking responsibility for the contracts, I like that.

I love competition and if Ozzie believes Harris is the starter, I like the fact that KW has given OZ the green light to play a guy based on merit not paychecks.

I read that quote and I thought, "Of course, that's the way it should be." But way too often it's not. That was something I kind of took for granted. But actually. it's something you RARELY hear from the front office, because they want to have their greasy mits on everything. Great post, Tex. It made me take notice and give it some thought.

Edited by YASNY

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Mar 15, 2005 -> 01:52 PM)
Bingo!  This is pretty obvious.  Iguchi's contract indicates that he will be our starting 2nd baseman.  Kenny is just trying to hype Willie up as our starter even though he's having a crappy spring to make teams offer up more for him in a trade.  And with the way Pablo Ozuna has been playing, it looks more and more like we need a backup 3rd baseman to cover Crede's sorry ass.  Rob Mackowiak anyone?

I'm pretty sure major league baseball clubs are smarter than judging a guy based upon about 20 AB's...

It's unfortunate that we won't be getting a defensive upgrade in Iguchi, too. I'm hoping Gooch is able to begin adjusting to the grass ASAP, because from what it sounds like from our radio voices of Farmer and Rooney, they aren't impressed at all...

A platoon might be just what benefits the team the most, but Iguchi will probably get the majority of the starts. I'd just like to see Ozzie get Willie in there against tough righties...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 15, 2005 -> 11:56 AM)
I'm pretty sure major league baseball clubs are smarter than judging a guy based upon about 20 AB's...

It's unfortunate that we won't be getting a defensive upgrade in Iguchi, too.  I'm hoping Gooch is able to begin adjusting to the grass ASAP, because from what it sounds like from our radio voices of Farmer and Rooney, they aren't impressed at all...

A platoon might be just what benefits the team the most, but Iguchi will probably get the majority of the starts.  I'd just like to see Ozzie get Willie in there against tough righties...

I'm confused. You say people shouldn't judge on 20 ABs, and yet you say Iguchi can't be an upgrade at 2B when he has played their for 6 or 7 games in a totally foreign country. How can you make that judgement when he is a gold glover in Japan, but already judge what he is on defense after 6 or 7 SPRING games, when we know he was a gold glover in Japan, after you just said you can't judge someone on a small sample size.

1KW is telling Oz to manage, I like that.

2KW is taking responsibility for the contracts, I like that.

1. Should Ozzie then tell KW how to be a GM? Granted he needs help but not from a Manager.. Let KW f*** up his own job not someone elses

2. This is a first.. But, lets see a seasons end if things don't go well who he blames for this year? Manage, players, Fans,. Jimmy the hotdog vendor?

3. Why Sign Gooch then if Willie "The Failure" Harris is your starter? Thats like Signing Eldque and then telling Bmac he has a shot at the rotation.

For the last few months the biggest knock on Harris was not his talent, it was his attitude.

Thus if his attitude has improved, the White Sox are probably not as interested in getting rid of him. He is cheap, very good defensively, fast, and patient at the plate. He will mature and become better as his ability to read pitchers gets better.

Iguchi we hope can do good, but he has not played 1 game at the ML level.

SB

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Mar 15, 2005 -> 12:47 PM)
1. Should Ozzie then tell KW how to be a GM? Granted he needs help but not from a Manager.. Let KW f*** up his own job not someone elses

2. This is a first.. But, lets see a seasons end if things don't go well who he blames for this year? Manage, players, Fans,. Jimmy the hotdog vendor?

3. Why Sign Gooch then if Willie "The Failure" Harris is your starter? Thats like Signing Eldque and then telling Bmac he has a shot at the rotation.

1.) Read slower. I know you thought you saw a chance to rip KW and probably rushed a bit.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 15, 2005 -> 06:39 PM)
I'm confused. You say people shouldn't judge on 20 ABs, and yet you say Iguchi can't be an upgrade at 2B when he has played their for 6 or 7 games in a totally foreign country. How can you make that judgement when he is a gold glover in Japan, but already judge what he is on defense after 6 or 7 SPRING games, when we know he was a gold glover in Japan, after you just said you can't judge someone on a small sample size.

Simply put, Harris is one of the best defensive second basemen in the majors.

It's not a knock (yet -- like you said, can't really judge a guy when I've seen him play once) on Iguchi, more of a compliment of Harris.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-cubs-headlines

- Harris has better range than Igs

- Igs made errors in the A's game that cost the Sox the game

- Igs is struggling with inside fastballs

- Harris' 4 hits are scattered over his 19 abs going 1 for 3 vs Cubs

- Igs 5 hits were all in the 1st wk in ST & he's struggled since

I'm still a big fan of Igs but I thought Ozzie was a little zealous at penciling him in as the #2. I always felt Igs needed to hit near the end of the lineup to get better adjusted to MLB pitching. It's common sense that the guys hitting 7-9 in the lineup will on avg face fewer ab's vs starters than the top 6. That should help Igs somewhat.

If I were the GM I would tell Igs he might want to try check swinging for hits on the inside fastballs. With his speed he might be able to steal a hit & in doing so force the pitchers to go away from that spot more often. It seems right now they smell blood & are just daring him to hit that pitch.

I can't believe no one's pitched inside to him before so I'm thinking he could be struggling with the dry air of AZ as well. I doubt he's faced any weather conditions like that in his career to date. Once he figures it out I think that's going to help him challenge pitchers a lot more effectively.