Willie over Iguchi?

DBAHO

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Mar 15, 2005 -> 01:57 PM)
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-cubs-headlines

- Harris has better range than Igs

- Igs made errors in the A's game that cost the Sox the game

- Igs is struggling with inside fastballs

- Harris' 4 hits are scattered over his 19 abs going 1 for 3 vs Cubs

- Igs 5 hits were all in the 1st wk in ST & he's struggled since

I'm still a big fan of Igs but I thought Ozzie was a little zealous at penciling him in as the #2.  I always felt Igs needed to hit near the end of the lineup to get better adjusted to MLB pitching.  It's common sense that the guys hitting 7-9 in the lineup will on avg face fewer ab's vs starters than the top 6.  That should help Igs somewhat.

If I were the GM I would tell Igs he might want to try check swinging for hits on the inside fastballs.  With his speed he might be able to steal a hit & in doing so force the pitchers to go away from that spot more often.  It seems right now they smell blood & are just daring him to hit that pitch.

I can't believe no one's pitched inside to him before so I'm thinking he could be struggling with the dry air of AZ as well.  I doubt he's faced any weather conditions like that in his career to date.  Once he figures it out I think that's going to help him challenge pitchers a lot more effectively.

He was 5 for his first 15, then went 0-4 in one bad game against the A's and RICH HARDEN. I wouldn't call that struggling for a week. I'd call it struggling for one game. Everybody does that.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 15, 2005 -> 08:10 PM)
He was 5 for his first 15, then went 0-4 in one bad game against the A's and RICH HARDEN. I wouldn't call that struggling for a week. I'd call it struggling for one game. Everybody does that.

True, but with Iguchi, we have no prior knowledge as to how he'll do in the major leagues. We simply don't know how Iguchi will do (not saying that you know how others will do, but usually one has a general range...).

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 15, 2005 -> 02:15 PM)
True, but with Iguchi, we have no prior knowledge as to how he'll do in the major leagues.  We simply don't know how Iguchi will do (not saying that you know how others will do, but usually one has a general range...).

I agree. ANd if he sucks through the end of May we can think about replacing him, but as of right now I think he is doing great considering the circumstances and for KW to say that Willie is catching up to him puts a lot of uneeded pressure on him. I just think it's a stupid thing for KW to say.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 15, 2005 -> 08:25 PM)
I agree. ANd if he sucks through the end of May we can think about replacing him, but as of right now I think he is doing great considering the circumstances and for KW to say that Willie is catching up to him puts a lot of uneeded pressure on him. I just think it's a stupid thing for KW to say.

While the writer of the article hinted towards Kenny saying that Harris is catching up, Kenny actually didn't say that.

What he says in the article is that Ozzie should play the better player, regardless of money. He's saying that whoever Ozzie feels gives the team a better chance to win, that's who should play...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 15, 2005 -> 02:32 PM)
While the writer of the article hinted towards Kenny saying that Harris is catching up, Kenny actually didn't say that.

What he says in the article is that Ozzie should play the better player, regardless of money.  He's saying that whoever Ozzie feels gives the team a better chance to win, that's who should play...

Yah, I see what you are saying. Maybe its just hte media. I think Iguichi is going to be really good though, but I think platooning him to start off the season won't do him any good because he needs to see live batters in real competition on a consistent basis, whether he struggles or not, to get a good read on him. It almost sounds like Farmer and Rooney and KW and everybody want Willie to start over Iguchi. Who knows though. I just hope he gets named the starter here coming up.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 15, 2005 -> 08:43 PM)
Yah, I see what you are saying. Maybe its just hte media. I think Iguichi is going to be really good though, but I think platooning him to start off the season won't do him any good because he needs to see live batters in real competition on a consistent basis, whether he struggles or not, to get a good read on him. It almost sounds like Farmer and Rooney and KW and everybody want Willie to start over Iguchi. Who knows though. I just hope he gets named the starter here coming up.

For the record, I think Iguchi deserves the spot to start off the season too. I think his upside is a .300 hitter with good gap-power, and a pretty solid eye at the plate.

I just think that Harris shouldn't be tossed aside, because he is an asset -- he can hit righties pretty well -- and if Iguchi proves incapable of handling a full time job, I think it would best serve the team if he was platooned with Harris.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 15, 2005 -> 02:46 PM)
For the record, I think Iguchi deserves the spot to start off the season too.  I think his upside is a .300 hitter with good gap-power, and a pretty solid eye at the plate. 

I just think that Harris shouldn't be tossed aside, because he is an asset -- he can hit righties pretty well -- and if Iguchi proves incapable of handling a full time job, I think it would best serve the team if he was platooned with Harris.

Oh yah, I definately agree with that. Have Willie, Ozuna, and Iguchi, and then start Iguchi when the season starts and if he doesn't get it done, you can platoon.

I just would hope that Ozzie wouldn't stop him from starting if he hits .280 in the spring while willie hits .250 or so. Who knows though. Numbers don't mean much in ST. I think we are all ready for the season to get here. Haha.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 15, 2005 -> 08:51 PM)
I just would hope that Ozzie wouldn't stop him from starting if he hits .280 in the spring while willie hits .250 or so. Who knows though. Numbers don't mean much in ST. I think we are all ready for the season to get here. Haha.

I definitely agree with that. :cheers