piece on HBO's 'Real Sports'

LosMediasBlancas

I was watching a piece on Tommy John surgery last night. They were talking about how many teens and even younger kids are needing the procedure nowadays, some as young as 9 years old. This is mostly due to year round leagues which leads to overthrowing. Another reason is that more and more younger kids are throwing curve balls at a younger age. A Dr. on there said no one under the age of 19 should be throwing curves.

Anyone have kids or coach little leagues?

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 15, 2005 -> 10:28 AM)
I was watching a piece on Tommy John surgery last night.    They were talking about how many teens and even younger kids are needing the procedure nowadays, some as young as 9 years old. This is mostly due to year round leagues which leads to overthrowing.  Another reason is that more and more younger kids are throwing curve balls at a younger age. A Dr. on there said no one under the age of 19 should be throwing curves.

Anyone have kids or coach little leagues?

Not any more, but I always emphasized fastballs and change-ups. I wouldn't let my kids throw curves.

They had a kid on there who was showing his arm's motion when he throws his curve. Not only did he snap it off at the end, but his entire hand did this upward twist to where his palm was facing up when he released. It was painful to watch him move his arm that way just describing the motion.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 15, 2005 -> 11:35 AM)
They had a kid on there who was showing his arm's motion when he throws his curve. Not only did he snap it off at the end, but his entire hand did this upward twist to where his palm was facing up when he released. It was painful to watch him move his arm that way just describing the motion.

My Son is too young to do anything unnatural with his balls.

WAIT, that didn't sound right!!

:bang

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 15, 2005 -> 12:59 PM)
LOL.

WARNING  Obscene joke to follow:

What's the difference between Michael Jackson and acne?

Acne stops bugging (or should I say buggering) you when you turn 18?

QUOTE(Yoda @ Mar 15, 2005 -> 04:42 PM)
It sure does. I don’t want to go Off-topic, but the day before yesterday El Duque threw a very good Eephus pitch.  :headbang

That was awesome! :headbang

Speaking of arm problems, I'm having some right now. It's not so much my arm as it is my shoulder. I can't throw a baseball like I used to. Last summer I dislocated my shoulder, but it healed completely and I was throwing at full strength last fall. Then this winter in a basketball game, I was going up for a rebound and a kid pulled my arm backwards and my shoulder popped out of place. Since then, I haven't really gotten my shoulder back in track and can't throw the ball worth a damn. I thought it could be my rotator cuff because I hear a clicking sound anytime I do a throwing motion, but I'm not sure. I really should go to a doctor, but it doesn't hurt unless I throw a baseball. Any thoughts?