Least Favorite Chicago Tourist Spot?

Texsox

Taking all things Cub out of the equation, what is the one place you dislike the most in Chicago? That place or thing to do that when you are showing someone around and they ask to see/do it that makes you wanna :chair :puke

I was thinking Water Tower Place as I was writing. I am planning a trip back and planning on meeting up with a friend from Miami and she wants to go there. I thought it was about the worse suggestion.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 15, 2005 -> 04:02 PM)
I was thinking Water Tower Place as I was writing. I am planning a trip back and planning on meeting up with a friend from Miami and she wants to go there. I thought it was about the worse suggestion.

Yeah, but at least you're in striking distance of the Clark Street Ale House. Mmmmm beer...

I think that craptacular Al Capone's themed dinner show place (near Hard Rock and the Wells and Ontario 50s/60s McDonald's - is it still even there anymore?) was a pathetic eyesore. I never went, but I had a couple people ask to go there when we went in for a visit. I slapped them around for the stupid suggestion of course.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Mar 15, 2005 -> 03:11 PM)
Yeah, but at least you're in striking distance of the Clark Street Ale House.  Mmmmm beer...

I think that craptacular Al Capone's themed dinner show place (near Hard Rock and the Wells and Ontario 50s/60s McDonald's - is it still even there anymore?) was a pathetic eyesore.  I never went, but I had a couple people ask to go there when we went in for a visit.  I slapped them around for the stupid suggestion of course.

Yeah, R&R McDonald's and Hard Rock. :puke

Of course, I was going to say Wrigley first.

QUOTE(mreye @ Mar 15, 2005 -> 03:15 PM)
Yeah, R&R McDonald's and Hard Rock.  :puke

Of course, I was going to say Wrigley first.

Hard rocks are essentially a joke. If you have been in one, you have seen them all. The only thing they are worth is getting a glass from them from each city.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 15, 2005 -> 03:18 PM)
Hard rocks are essentially a joke.  If you have been in one, you have seen them all.  The only thing they are worth is getting a glass from them from each city.

Geek!

I'd have to go with Navy Pier. It's nice that they decided to use it for something back in the early '90s but, unless you really like ferris wheels, it's just a crowded tourist trap.

When I entertain friends in the city, I like to take them up to 96th floor of the Hancock building for drinks at dusk. The view is spectacular.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ Mar 15, 2005 -> 04:30 PM)
I'd have to go with Navy Pier.  It's nice that they decided to use it for something back in the early '90s but, unless you really like ferris wheels, it's just a crowded tourist trap.

When I entertain friends in the city, I like to take them up to 96th floor of the Hancock building for drinks at dusk.  The view is spectacular.

I love telling them we'll be having drinks at the tip of the (Han)cock

:ph34r:

Without a doubt, unquestionably, the most overrated tourist things to do in Chicago are the Chicago Auto Show, the Taste of Chicago, Billy Goat Restaurant.

The way the local media covers these events, you would think we lived in Pig Slop, Mississippi, and we have nothing else to offer.

The Auto Show: A bunch of cars. That's it, no big deal. No reason for every local TV station to have hour-long shows showing you the cars.

Taste: Nothing like some 350-lb temporary worker sweating over your over priced turkey leg in 100 degree heat, while fighting through 1 million people, most of whom smell like they haven't showered in a decade.

Billy Goat: s***ty, crappy, overpriced, miniscule burgers. f*** Sam Siannis and his uncle's dumb curse. I think the reason I would not want the Cubs to ever win has more to do with not wanting to see that old bastard and his girlfriend (some goat they got from Lincoln Park Zoo), than anything about the baseball team.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Mar 16, 2005 -> 09:09 AM)
Billy Goat: s***ty, crappy, overpriced, miniscule burgers. f*** Sam Siannis and his uncle's dumb curse. I think the reason I would not want the Cubs to ever win has more to do with not wanting to see that old bastard and his girlfriend (some goat they got from Lincoln Park Zoo), than anything about the baseball team.

The popularity is mostly from the SNL bit with Belushi, Akroyd and company.

Cheeseburger, Cheeseburger, Cheeseburger, no fries, cheeps, no Coke, Pepsi!

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Mar 16, 2005 -> 03:09 PM)
Taste: Nothing like some 350-lb temporary worker sweating over your over priced turkey leg in 100 degree heat, while fighting through 1 million people, most of whom smell like they haven't showered in a decade.

Disagree, I love Taste. It's the only time I get a Rainbow Cone, b/c I'm rarely in Chicago, and even then I'm not going to drive all the way to the sw side for an ice cream. Plus, the concerts were fun when I was in hs.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 16, 2005 -> 09:33 AM)
Disagree, I love Taste.  It's the only time I get a Rainbow Cone, b/c I'm rarely in Chicago, and even then I'm not going to drive all the way to the sw side for an ice cream.  Plus, the concerts were fun when I was in hs.

Rainbow cone? None for me. I'm a Republican! :lol:

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Mar 16, 2005 -> 06:33 PM)
I grew up 5 blocks away from Rainbow Cone, and it's still one of the first places I go to when I go back to visit.  Yummm!

Lucky. Only place I've ever had it is at Taste. I keep planning on making a trip there when I'm in Chicago in the summer, but then I think to myself, I'm going to drive 45 min each way (at least) for ice cream???

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 15, 2005 -> 09:18 PM)
Hard rocks are essentially a joke.  If you have been in one, you have seen them all.  The only thing they are worth is getting a glass from them from each city.

I agree and every city has that 'touristy neighborhood' that are pretty much clones.

You have to get into the neighborhoods and the underground and meet the people to see the real city.