Possible Trade

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Mar 15, 2005 -> 10:25 PM)
Just a hunch, the phone isn't ringing off the hook with teams inquiring about Borchard as their power hitting OFer.

You sure?? My high school was lookin for one and i could've sworn they talked to KW about sending him the rights of the next Canseco...

Yeah, the good one, Ozzie Canseco...

Edited by Pauly8509CWS

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a hunch, the phone isn't ringing off the hook with teams inquiring about Borchard as their power hitting OFer.

You would be wrong then. Yesterday on ESPN 1000, Bruce Levine said that there were a few teams interested in Borchard. Other teams have scouts at every Sox game to look at Borchard, Willie, and Adkins.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Mar 15, 2005 -> 10:30 PM)
You would be wrong then.  Yesterday on ESPN 1000, Bruce Levine said that there were a few teams interested in Borchard.  Other teams have scouts at every Sox game to look at Borchard, Willie, and Adkins.

Bruce levine also has a very good track record.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Mar 15, 2005 -> 10:58 PM)
There were also news articles saying that the Sox were close to signing Vizquel.  Vizquel himself said that he was almost a White Sox but signed with the Giants at the last minute.

Another favorite of mine... ''my sources tell me that alex ccora has signed with the indians''. Four days after everyone in the world knew about it.

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE(soxman35 @ Mar 15, 2005 -> 09:31 PM)
this is a stupid argument i know what he can and cant do and i think we need to get some one new and 3 base thats what i think

A "baseball expert" (because he knows what he can and can't do) that doesn't know that "errors" is not spelled or pronounced "airs". Significant credibility damage alert.

QUOTE(soxman35 @ Mar 15, 2005 -> 09:16 PM)
makes alot of airs on defence we got to get rid of him

Spelling errors aside, you should check your facts before making such a broad statement.

Joe Crede was 2nd in the AL in Fielding PCT. (.965) for Third Basemen and made only 12 errors. Thats less than Casey Blake, Melvin Mora, Hank Blalock, Eric Munson, Bill Mueller, Eric Chavez, and Alex Rodriguez.

We ALL agree his hitting needs to improve, but he has NEVER taken a hitting slump onto the field.

A few things:

*the sox won't trade a SP. B mac is good insurance in case someone gets hurt or starts stinking up the joint. The sox know how bad it is not to have 5 SP's. They trade a SP, bring up Bmac, someone goes down, they're back in the same boat of not having a dependable 5th starter. If contreras has an ERA in the mid 5's and isn't winning any games come June, then Bmac could be called up. But throwing in AAA for the first time isn't exactly wasting away

*Crede deserves a shot for the first few months. If he hasn't hit better than .239, then the sox might look for a better bat.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Mar 16, 2005 -> 06:29 AM)
A few things:

*the sox won't trade a SP. B mac is good insurance in case someone gets hurt or starts stinking up the joint. The sox know how bad it is not to have 5 SP's. They trade a SP, bring up Bmac, someone goes down, they're back in the same boat of not having a dependable 5th starter. If contreras has an ERA in the mid 5's and isn't winning any games come June, then Bmac could be called up. But throwing in AAA for the first time isn't exactly wasting away

*Crede deserves a shot for the first few months. If he hasn't hit better than .239, then the sox might look for a better bat.

I agree...he should be given a shot this season and if he fails...He Gone!

i think the trade for Mackowiak would be a great trade. I don't get all this nobody wants Borchard or harris talk. Borchard may never be a great for average hitter but hes gonna hit home runs. Dunn on the reds can't hit for average but as long as hes hitting 40 plus home runs hes gonna be starting. Borchard is like a poor man's Dunn. Nobody thought that any body in there right mind would want Jose Valentin, but he's starting third baseman for the Dodgers. So you can always work trades. I mean Mackowiak is good and i would love to have him, but he's not Scott Rolen, so i think a trade for him or of his caliber is not so far fetched.

You need to think about this logically. The Sox have injury-prone El Duque who has averaged < than 130 IP the past 3 yrs in their rotation. That's a substantial risk. You won't to get as much out of El Duque first before you consider changing the rotation.

I agree that if El Duque is still feeling & going strong in June & BMac is getting in done at Charlotte then Jon & Jose are expendable. But that's still a big IF & you need to wait it out.

You need to think about this logically. The Sox have injury-prone El Duque who has averaged < than 130 IP the past 3 yrs in their rotation. That's a substantial risk. You won't to get as much out of El Duque first before you consider changing the rotation.

I agree that if El Duque is still feeling & going strong in June & BMac is getting in done at Charlotte then Jon & Jose are expendable. But that's still a big IF & you need to wait it out.

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Mar 16, 2005 -> 04:28 AM)
You sure?? My high school was lookin for one and i could've sworn they talked to KW about sending him the rights of the next Canseco...

Yeah, the good one, Ozzie Canseco...

Come on now, Tom.

We all know teams are foaming at the mouths to get their hands on Joe Borchard.

(No green needed for obvious sarcasm).

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Mar 16, 2005 -> 11:25 AM)
You need to think about this logically.  The Sox have injury-prone El Duque who has averaged

I agree that if El Duque is still feeling & going strong in June & BMac is getting in done at Charlotte then Jon & Jose are expendable.  But that's still a big IF & you need to wait it out.

Ok, here's logic, based on this post.

Our rotation now ... Buerhle, Garcia, El Duque, Contreras, Garland.

Our rotation based on the above post ... Buerhle, Garcia, El Duque, BMac and ... and ... and ... ?????

Ok, here's logic, based on this post.

Our rotation now ... Buerhle, Garcia, El Duque, Contreras, Garland.

Our rotation based on the above post ... Buerhle, Garcia, El Duque, BMac and ... and ... and ... ?????

I'll be glad to fill in the pcs for you :D

Koney + Contreras/Garland to AZ for Vazquez.

Basis: This was the highly rumored trade in the off-season & AZ did not upgrade at 1B. KW pulled that trade off the table. Not AZ. Money-wise it makes sense for both teams.

I expect Contreras to have better numbers than Garland by mid Jun so I think it's more likely Contreras. If you asked KW whether he would want to upgrade the staff by swapping Contreras for Vazquez at the expense of Koney if Thomas is productive by then I think he says yes. If Contreras is really pitching well we might even get some $ to offset Vazquez salary.

So that gives us Buerhle, Garcia, Vazquez, El Duque, BMC for the rotation.

Potential to be the best in the majors. Period. Locked up for 06 & most are locked up for 07.

Next we have our hole at 3B. Crede represents nothing more than a patch to hold the fold until Fields is ready. The Sox could do well to upgrade that Patch with Mike Lowell of the FLM. He's owed a little more than 8M/yr for 3 more yrs. I expect the Marlin's to throw in some cash to drive that cost down to 21M for 2.4 yrs for the ChiSox. In return they get Crede & Garland. For a team that lost 20M last year Garland is a good investment. His potential in the NL has always been much higher than the AL. Crede still has sizeable upside. Hopefully both are playing well enough to bolster this trade. The better their playing the more cash FL has to throw in.

Obviously you can't pull the Lowell trade unless El Duque still looks to be in good health. You're not going to take that risk. But the Lowell trade is one that can wait until the trade deadline. That gives the Sox about 5 BMC starts in the bigs as well to decide whether to do it.

The additions of Vazquez, BMC, Gload, & Lowell as 1st stringers will help much more than Contreras, Garland, Koney, & Crede.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Mar 16, 2005 -> 01:03 PM)
I'll be glad to fill in the pcs for you :D

Koney + Contreras/Garland to AZ for Vazquez. 

Basis: This was the highly rumored trade in the off-season & AZ did not upgrade at 1B.  KW pulled that trade off the table.  Not AZ.  Money-wise it makes sense for both teams. 

I expect Contreras to have better numbers than Garland by mid Jun so I think it's more likely Contreras.  If you asked KW whether he would want to upgrade the staff by swapping Contreras for Vazquez at the expense of Koney if Thomas is productive by then I think he says yes.  If Contreras is really pitching well we might even get some $ to offset Vazquez salary.

So that gives us Buerhle, Garcia, Vazquez, El Duque, BMC for the rotation.

Potential to be the best in the majors.  Period.  Locked up for 06 & most are locked up for 07.

Next we have our hole at 3B.  Crede represents nothing more than a patch to hold the fold until Fields is ready.  The Sox could do well to upgrade that Patch with Mike Lowell of the FLM.  He's owed a little more than 8M/yr for 3 more yrs.  I expect the Marlin's to throw in some cash to drive that cost down to 21M for 2.4 yrs for the ChiSox.  In return they get Crede & Garland.  For a team that lost 20M last year Garland is a good investment.  His potential in the NL has always been much higher than the AL.  Crede still has sizeable upside.  Hopefully both are playing well enough to bolster this trade.  The better their playing the more cash FL has to throw in.

Obviously you can't pull the Lowell trade unless El Duque still looks to be in good health.  You're not going to take that risk.  But the Lowell trade is one that can wait until the trade deadline.  That gives the Sox about 5 BMC starts in the bigs as well to decide whether to do it. 

The additions of Vazquez, BMC, Gload, & Lowell as 1st stringers will help much more than Contreras, Garland, Koney, & Crede.

lollercoaster.gif

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Mar 16, 2005 -> 08:51 AM)
Dunn on the reds can't hit for average but as long as hes hitting 40 plus home runs hes gonna be starting. 

Nothing wrong with a .266 average, especially when you're getting on at a .388 clip.

And a career average of .249 is pretty bad...but his career OBP of .382 is something to write home about. Career OPS of .893 is fairly solid too.

Borchard, on the other hand, only had an OBP-AVG was only 75(meaning his .249 OBP is only 75 points higher then .174 average)...which isn't nearly good enough for a .170 hitter to play in the majors.