White Sox Player Will Be The First To Go?

AddisonStSox

Which of these Sox will be the first to get traded?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these Sox will be the first to get traded?

• Jon Adkins
    • Joe Borchard
    • Jamie Burke
    • Felix Diaz
    • Willie Harris
    • Other
    • None

Just because a team may make one bad deal (and we don't even know who they're dealing for Encarnacion), doesn't mean they're going to make another one for the hell of it. Dave Littlefield's pulled some good ones in his time as GM, and they're not going to trade an excellent utility guy for a guy who's probably not even going to be their 5th starter, now and in the long - term.

You seem to forget that it all comes down to money with the Pirates. That's why Littlefield was robbed in the Aramis Ramirez trade. That's why he traded Jason Kendall. And that's why he would likely be open to dealing Mackowiak. Mackowiak may not even be a starter for the Pirates this year. Even though Mackowiak's $1.5 million salary sounds dirt cheap to us, he is still only under a 1-year contract and will be set to earn even more money next season.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Mar 18, 2005 -> 02:33 PM)
You seem to forget that it all comes down to money with the Pirates.  That's why Littlefield was robbed in the Aramis Ramirez trade.  That's why he traded Jason Kendall.  And that's why he would likely be open to dealing Mackowiak.  Mackowiak may not even be a starter for the Pirates this year.  Even though Mackowiak's $1.5 million salary sounds dirt cheap to us, he is still only under a 1-year contract and will be set to earn even more money next season.

They'll have money to pay him next season if they want. Lawton's and Santiago's salary will come off the books, and they can make some more moves to free up payroll if that's what they want to do. Also, with the likes of Ty Wigginton at 3B, and Castillo/Hill at 2B, and Lawton at CF, an excellent utility guy like Machowiak becomes all the more important to them, even though right now he's probably their RF (unless they trade for Encarnacion).

The thing is, Harris and Diaz isn't enough of an upgrade for them to consider dealing Machowiak. Harris isn't enough of a difference to take over everyday from Castillo and Hill, while like I've said already, they've got other options (and probably better) to use instead of Diaz. If Pitssburgh is going to move Machowiak, it's going to be for a better deal (most likely prospects).

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Mar 18, 2005 -> 03:33 AM)
You seem to forget that it all comes down to money with the Pirates.  That's why Littlefield was robbed in the Aramis Ramirez trade.  That's why he traded Jason Kendall.  And that's why he would likely be open to dealing Mackowiak.  Mackowiak may not even be a starter for the Pirates this year.  Even though Mackowiak's $1.5 million salary sounds dirt cheap to us, he is still only under a 1-year contract and will be set to earn even more money next season.

Why, then, would we want him? I think his value is right around what he's making right now -- and next year, he's going to get more money, a lot more money than he's worth.

For this year, yes -- it'd be nice, if we can get him for a bag of balls. But not for Harris + Adkins/Diaz...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 09:50 PM)
Why, then, would we want him?  I think his value is right around what he's making right now -- and next year, he's going to get more money, a lot more money than he's worth.

For this year, yes -- it'd be nice, if we can get him for a bag of balls.  But not for Harris + Adkins/Diaz...

Hopefully we'd be able to package two of those guys with someone else for a deadline deal and not a backup 3B. I'd rather we held out and hoped these guys have solid seasons and would service us better by using them in a deadline deal.

They'll have money to pay him next season if they want. Lawton's and Santiago's salary will come off the books, and they can make some more moves to free up payroll if that's what they want to do. Also, with the likes of Ty Wigginton at 3B, and Castillo/Hill at 2B, and Lawton at CF, an excellent utility guy like Machowiak becomes all the more important to them, even though right now he's probably their RF (unless they trade for Encarnacion).

The thing is, Harris and Diaz isn't enough of an upgrade for them to consider dealing Machowiak. Harris isn't enough of a difference to take over everyday from Castillo and Hill, while like I've said already, they've got other options (and probably better) to use instead of Diaz. If Pitssburgh is going to move Machowiak, it's going to be for a better deal (most likely prospects).

It's spelled Mackowiak. ;) Also, the Pirates are expected to start the season with Wiggington at 3B, Jason Bay in LF, Tike Redman in CF, and Matt Lawton in RF. Mackowiak will be their super-sub off the bench.

I don't think Willie is a stud by any means but he is more talented than an overpaid stiff like Juan Encarnacion. The fact that the Pirates would even consider Encarnacion just proves my point about Littlefield's questionable moves. Also, Adkins is looking great in camp and could be a decent 5th starter. If he had no trade value why are there scouts at camp looking at him? I honestly think Willie and Adkins would be more than enough for Mackowiak.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Mar 18, 2005 -> 12:29 AM)
It's spelled Mackowiak. ;) Also, the Pirates are expected to start the season with Wiggington at 3B, Jason Bay in LF, Tike Redman in CF, and Matt Lawton in RF.  Mackowiak will be their super-sub off the bench.

Bay will be in right lawton in left.

Edited by qwerty

Bay will be in right lawton in left.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...guenum=&id=5511

Latest News  Dec. 12, 2004 - 12:57 am et

The Pirates' current plan is to play Matt Lawton in right field and Craig Wilson at first base.

The Pirates must not have seen Lawton's arm lately. If the Pirates enter next year with a lineup of Lawton, Jack Wilson, Jason Bay, Wilson, Ty Wigginton, Tike Redman, Jose Castillo and Lousy Catcher, they'll be fortunate to lose just 89 games again. Adding a 1B/RF bat and making Redman a reserve should be a must.

Source:  Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Edited by Jabroni

He will be their right fielder. I don't care about how they start the season. He will not last in right field for five straight games until he is moved to left.

Ummm, left field in PNC Park is tougher to play than right field. PNC Park's left field is a cavern...

dimensions.gif

Edited by Jabroni

I'll try again. Ben Davis is the most likely to go next.

Before AJP: plan was to platoon C w Davis & Burke

After AJP: plan is to use Davis off the bench & Burke as a 3rd C, corner IF

Davis only offers speed off the bench. If they are planning to keep Harris he's a useless bench player. Burke on the other hand offers the strong RH bat they want.

Davis's career OPS is not much worse than many C's playing in the game.

There are several sporting a < 700OPS. A strong showing by Davis in CL play could entice several teams to roll the dice with him. He does offer better foot speed than most C's & is a switch hitter (relatively speaking).

The Sox would be looking to trade him for a solid glove bench player for 3B. I've yet to find any G played by Ozuna or Valdez at 3B. Asking Uribe to accept the burden of the extra AB's, G played, & responsibility of playing 3B risks burning him out by Sept. That leaves an ill-experienced glove to backup Crede at 3B. The Macwk trade seems plausible but not at the expense of Harris. They want to keep Harris as insurance against both Iggy & Pods. Two players that could sink or swim this year.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Mar 18, 2005 -> 06:29 AM)
It's spelled Mackowiak. ;) Also, the Pirates are expected to start the season with Wiggington at 3B, Jason Bay in LF, Tike Redman in CF, and Matt Lawton in RF.  Mackowiak will be their super-sub off the bench.

I don't think Willie is a stud by any means but he is more talented than an overpaid stiff like Juan Encarnacion.  The fact that the Pirates would even consider Encarnacion just proves my point about Littlefield's questionable moves.  Also, Adkins is looking great in camp and could be a decent 5th starter.  If he had no trade value why are there scouts at camp looking at him?  I honestly think Willie and Adkins would be more than enough for Mackowiak.

This isn't a spelling bee -- or B -- so who cares. It's about knowledge, and DBAHO is one of the most knowledgable posters on here.

And, giving up Harris and Adkins/Diaz isn't worth Mack.