Frank releases advance copy of steroid testimony!

Jabroni

I just got my Sirius radio up and running at work...and it has espn radio and espn news, so I should be able to listen live...YES.

And what a statement by Frank. If he reads that, at the end of the day, after all these asses have been pleading the fifth, he will make them all look silly.

Hey Sosa and Big Mac :finger

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 07:58 AM)
Does anyone know the lineup?

What order each of the people will testify in?

I have tried to find it, but found nothing.

Will it be on radio at all?

Here you go:

LINEUP CARD

Several television networks plan to cover the congressional hearing today on steroids in baseball. C-SPAN3 will air the hearing from gavel to gavel beginning at 9 a.m. ESPN and ESPNEWS also plan to cover the entire proceeding, though both networks might cut away to other programming. Comcast SportsNet's coverage is scheduled to begin at 11:30, with the possibility it might cut away to other programming. CNN plans to cover the event periodically.

Among those expected to testify, in order of appearance:

Sen. Jim Bunning (R-Ky.), a major-league pitcher from 1955 to '71; elected to the Hall of Fame in 1996.

Raymond and Denise Garibaldi, parents of a college baseball player who committed suicide after steroid use.

Donald Hooton Sr., father of a high school baseball player who committed suicide after steroid use.

Jose Canseco, who hit 462 home runs from 1985 to 2001; his recent book, Juiced: Wild Times, Rampant 'Roids, Smash Hits, and How Baseball Got Big, has drawn Congress' attention.

Mark McGwire, the retired slugger who ranks sixth in major-league history with 583 career homers; hit then-record 70 homers in 1998.

Rafael Palmeiro of the Baltimore Orioles; ranks 10th in major-league history with 551 homers.

Curt Schilling of the Boston Red Sox; helped pitch the team to last season's World Series championship, its first in 86 years; called to testify because he has been quoted speaking out against steroid use.

Sammy Sosa of the Baltimore Orioles and formerly of the Cubs; only player in major-league history to hit 60 homers in three seasons; ranks seventh in baseball history with 574 career homers.

Frank Thomas of the White Sox; two-time American League Most Valuable Player; will testify from Tucson, Ariz., via video conference.

Bud Selig, commissioner of Major League Baseball.

Donald Fehr, executive director of the Major League Baseball Players Association.

Here is the official lineup from CSPAN:

Restoring Faith in America's Pastime

Evaluating Major League Baseball's Efforts to Eradicate Steroid Use

Thursday, March 17, 2005 10:00 AM

Media Coverage for March 17th Hearing Into Steroids in Major League Baseball

The Committee will hear testimony from the following witnesses:

Panel One

The Honorable Jim Bunning, United States Senator (Kentucky) and member of the Major League Baseball Hall of Fame

Panel Two

Mr. Raymond and Dr. Denise Garibaldi, Parents of former USC baseball player, Rob Garibaldi, who committed suicide after steroid use

Mr. Donald Hooton, Sr., Director, Chairman, and President of Taylor Hooton Foundation, and father of high school baseball player, Taylor Hooton, who committed suicide after steroid use

Dr. Nora D. Volkow, Director, National Institute on Drug Abuse, National Institutes of Health

Dr. Gary I. Wadler, Associate Professor of Clinical Medicine, New York University School of Medicine

Dr. Kirk Brower, Associate Professor of Psychiatry, University of Michigan Medical School, and Executive Director, Chelsea Arbor Addiction Treatment Center

Dr. Eliot J. Pellman, Medical Advisor to Major League Baseball

Panel Three

Jose Canseco - former Oakland Athletic and Texas Ranger

Mark McGwire - former Oakland Athletic and St. Louis Cardinal

Rafael Palmeiro - current Baltimore Oriole and former Texas Ranger

Curt Schilling - current Boston Red Sox

Sammy Sosa - current Baltimore Oriole and former Chicago Cub

Frank Thomas - current Chicago White Sox

Panel Four

Commissioner Allan H. Selig, Major League Baseball

Accompanied by: Robert D. Manfred, Jr., Executive Vice President Labor and Human Resources, Major League Baseball

Don Fehr, Executive Director and General Counsel, Major League Baseball Players Association

Sandy Alderson, Executive Vice President of Baseball Operations, Major League Baseball and former General Manager, Oakland Athletics

Kevin Towers, General Manger, San Diego Padres

They will either plead the 5th, or deny using roids.

I love this idea that people always have to tell the truth under oath.......so help them God. It assumes they believe in God and that they worry about the after life over saving their ass in this one. 'May I remind you that you are under oath Mr Sosa". "Like I said, I have never used steroids".

This could be the greatest day for Frank and be the thing the puts him squarely in the hall of fame without a doubt. The guilt by association thing is great. Having his own venue and time can allow him to be at the front of a nationwide crusade against steroids. THe posterboy for the clean and sober athelete. If he was in Boston or NY he would be all the rave. They showed him on WGN this morning, man the guy is a monster.

QUOTE(HSC's Biggest Fan @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 09:15 AM)
This could be the greatest day for Frank and be the thing the puts him squarely in the hall of fame without a doubt.  The guilt by association thing is great.  Having his own venue and time can allow him to be at the front of a nationwide crusade against steroids.  THe posterboy for the clean and sober athelete.  If he was in Boston or NY he would be all the rave.  They showed him on WGN this morning, man the guy is a monster.

Frank is not going be "the news". The media will gravitate to the scandal, not the guy who is clean.

Great news! I'm so glad they accomodated him.

If Congress is smart about this they can still get value from the players taking the 5th by posing hypotheticals at the players.

Mark McGuire, you owned the single-season HR record until Barry Bonds surpassed you. How would you feel if it was determined that Bonds was juiced during that historic season?

Sammy Sosa, you were neck & neck with McGuire for the single-season HR record. How would you feel if it determined that McGuire was juiced during that season?

I hope they spend considerable time focusing on high school athletes. Across the nation the money flowing into high school sports programming is growing quickly. Where the $ flows the pressure builds.

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Mar 16, 2005 -> 08:03 PM)
"I have been a major league ballplayer for 15 years. Throughout my career, I have not used steroids. Ever."  That is Beautiful... Take that Giambi :finger

I remember hearing someone on AM 1000 about a month ago saying that Frank has admitted to using steroids for a month or so in high school, but quit because it screwed up his swing.

I'm glad that he realized it was a bad idea.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 03:52 PM)
I remember hearing someone on AM 1000 about a month ago saying that Frank has admitted to using steroids for a month or so in high school, but quit because it screwed up his swing.

I'm glad that he realized it was a bad idea.

That is not true.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 08:46 PM)
I doubt it is true as well but how do you know that it isn't?  Just curious.

Frank donated bone marrow to his sister who ended up dying from Lukemia.. there is no way he could have donated if he had been taking them. This was between the time Frank was 13 to his early 20's.

I found a statement Frank made after the testimony.

http://chicago.comcastsportsnet.com/view_c..._0p.asp?ID=6002

It was an honor to share my experiences with Congress. I have always felt that steroids have no place in baseball. I am honored to have been asked by Congress to co-chair a special Task Force aimed at eliminating steroid use by young people. I look forward to working actively with the Task Force to get out the message that athletes and young people should steer clear of steroids.

I fully support the Committee’s work and the efforts of both Major League Baseball and the Players’ Association to address the dangers of performance enhancing drugs. It is my hope that today we have sent a powerful message to our nation’s youth not to mess with these dangerous substances.

QUOTE(Grebeck Fan Club @ Mar 18, 2005 -> 10:00 AM)
There was almost no mention of Big Frank in the stories I read about the testimony.  He made such a good impression that he was forgotten.  Oh well, it sure beats negative press.

Because he didn't do anything other than make an opening statement. The feed was lost after the break so he was excused from the remainder if the hearing.

QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 18, 2005 -> 11:07 AM)
Because he didn't do anything other than make an opening statement. The feed was lost after the break so he was excused from the remainder if the hearing.

Oh, is that what happened? I was reading the paper today, trying to find out what happened to Frank...and I couldn't find an explanation.