Congressional hearing thread

rangercal

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MLB is not the only one to blame. Kids in all sports are doping to get an edge. That goes for high school, college, minors, & majors. If there is anything substantial to come out of these hearings it's that those making $ from sports telecasts should be responsible for educating the public & using personalities to make doping the worst thing imaginable for a kid.

To me that is more important than developing testing standards that simply make it more difficult for athletes to cheat. I would like them to ask Jose Canseco, Jason Giambi, Brian Bosworth, Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa, & Mark McGuire whether they think any player could consistently look into the eyes of high school kids & tell them doping is horrible & then turn around & continue to dope themselves. I believe the answer would unanimously be no.

QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 12:37 PM)
BALCO took a while to be discovered..

Thats what I mean. Illegal producers won't be discovered unless someone turns them in, as the track coach did in the BALCO case. So it does very little good to look for all of the manufacturers becuase where there is a demand there is a market. We need to focus on the demand (players) and stop it there.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 12:43 PM)
MLB is not the only one to blame.  Kids in all sports are doping to get an edge.  That goes for high school, college, minors, & majors.  If there is anything substantial to come out of these hearings it's that those making $ from sports telecasts should be responsible for educating the public & using personalities to make doping the worst thing imaginable for a kid. 

To me that is more important than developing testing standards that simply make it more difficult for athletes to cheat.  I would like them to ask Jose Canseco, Jason Giambi, Brian Bosworth, Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa, & Mark McGuire whether they think any player could consistently look into the eyes of high school kids & tell them doping is horrible & then turn around & continue to dope themselves.  I believe the answer would unanimously be no.

Exactly, I guess that is what I've been tryingto say. Could you edit my next manuscript?

Frank Thomas, along with Shilling, will be sworn in and made a member of an official Congressional Taskforce to investigate Steroid abuse in MLB.

:o

This was just reported on ESPNNews by Bob Ley

What kind of wedge will this put between them and their teammates?!?

Edited by RibbieRubarb

QUOTE(Spiff @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 12:44 PM)
I was wondering that too, maybe after this second panel is done.

I hope so.. I'm starving.

Any word on ESPN the players stance if they don't get to them today..? I think this is running a bit longer than they expected. IIRC they end their day at 4pm and it's already almost 2.

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 01:47 PM)
Frank Thomas, along with Shilling, will be sworn in and made a member of an official Congressional Taskforce to investigate Steroid abuse in MLB.

I heard that. That's really awesome. Frank gets his cape today! :headbang

Holy s***! Sosa just made a statement of a 100% denial of everything!

Not just steroids! He made reference to all performance enhancement substances. He said he has never put any of them in his body.

I hope they ask him why he was carrying 10's of 1000's of dollars in a paper bag in that one reported incident. :headshake

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 12:47 PM)

What kind of wedge will this put between them and their teammates?!?

Ummm... I don't think I like that. Players should not be put into a position to tattle on other players. An independent pannel should be formed. People with nothing to gain from outing, or hiding, the players using.