Congressional hearing thread

rangercal

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 06:59 PM)
Selig said theyd turn in someone who used steroids...

Didnt they have a percentage of players caught using???  WHY WERENT THEY TURNED IN?!?!?!

Can anyone clear that up?

Supposedly 96 players in 03, and 12 last year. None turned in that I'm aware of.

Everyone must have been ignorant of this steroid issue. If you believe MLB goons.

Supposedly, Canseco didn't push steroid reform, and neither did any MLB officials (esp. Selig, MLBPA officials) until- out of the blue- Selig decides stringent policy is needed. What a f***ing dope.

This is becoming irritating. I'd respect Selig right now if he would simply admit problems were ignored for financial purposes.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 06:59 PM)
Selig said theyd turn in someone who used steroids...

Didnt they have a percentage of players caught using???  WHY WERENT THEY TURNED IN?!?!?!

Can anyone clear that up?

I am in NO WAY defending Selig, but the question was would he hand anyone over to the authorities who was caught selling or participating in the distribution of illegal drugs. Not using steroids.

Edited by RibbieRubarb

I just tuned in again & you guys are right. This is getting good.

Manfred puts a paragraph in the bottom of the document he sent to congress before the hearings that Congress prioritized the economic aspect of the game over all else after the strike. This was during the hearings on the strike.

Selig echoed those sentiments saying none of you were talking to me about steroid abuse in 1994-1995.

I just loved how MLB shifted the blame to Congress back then.

Ah, but Congress has smart & hard working people. One Congressman quotes an article in the LA Times in 1995 on the growing use of steroids in MLB. Selig basically claimed ignorance & said we had no basis to believe what it said.

Another clue that they are covering for Sammy.

Manfred eluded that Mexico & the DR have a relaxed culture & laws wrt to steroid usage. It was in the DR where Sammy supposedly lost his 25K paper bag of cash.

Manfred = Pathetic. That's the general consensus of the people on the comm.

But you know something? Sometimes having a pathetic person in that capacity is the best thing for business. Sad but true.

Congress should just call an audit on MLB & do away with this crap.

Manfred keeps telling Congress how they operate with nothing substantiated in a written document. What other business gets away with that crap?

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 07:16 PM)
Watch the aides, they are just waiting to point to the Congressmen what MLB is screwing up.

;)

SB

They have been handing them papers all day long. They are on the ball.. pun intended. :lol:

It's getting boring again & the NCAA's are on. I think we can conclude that the comm is pretty pissed at Manfred for creating such pathetic documents.

There will be a later hearing by the commerce comm that pretty much controls the anti-trust exemption & if Manfred hasn't improved the documents by they will not be kind to this panel.

Despite getting dirty Selig achieved what he wanted:

We want tougher testing. Fehr likes his progressive discipline approach.

Talk to him. He's the road block.

QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 07:44 PM)
For those not watching anymore.. Issa just told them that if they don't do something more... and swiftly... congress WILL step in and do it for them.

And Lynch follows up with a...

"I'm not convinced you all will do anything more and we shouldn't wait any longer.. " :o