Congressional hearing thread

rangercal

Did you guys know that suicide rates were so high with roid users?

I knew there was a link from the WWE studies but I had no idea it was that high in withdrawal. I think the hearings are proving their worth now.

I think when most of us think of roid users we think of greedy, cheaty players at whatever level they play. But the hearings are painting a different picture. This really is drug abuse that is associated with an addiction. Once you are juiced it's very hard to get un-juiced for some.

Speaking of the WWE did any of you see that Real Sports special on HBO where McMahon was interviewed? The death rates & suicide rates of WWE stars in the Hogan era was alarming. I wonder if they are going to bring that up at these hearings. McMahon of course disavowed any responsibility for those deaths.

One star that came to mind when I was a kid because he resembled something of a comic book character was the Ultimate Warrior. The guy never reached the age of 40.

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those just joining us...

Get your pencils and scorecard ready

Here is the line-up

PANEL ONE

Sen. Jim Bunning (R-Ky.)

PANEL TWO

Mr. Ray and Dr. Denise Garibaldi

Mr. Donald Hooton Sr.

Dr. Nora D. Volkow

Dr. Gary I. Wadler

Dr. Kirk Brower

Dr. Eliot J. Pellman

PANEL THREE

Jose Canseco

Mark McGwire

Rafael Palmeiro

Curt Schilling

Sammy Sosa

Frank Thomas

PANEL FOUR

Bud Selig

Donald Fehr

Sandy Alderson

Kevin Towers

And I just don't understand Pellman... if he's the medical advisor.. and he's stating this info, which I assume he's told MLB... why in the hell is the policy not stronger...?? Oh wait.. he's got a "but"....

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 11:33 AM)
Did you guys know that suicide rates were so high with roid users?

I knew there was a link from the WWE studies but I had no idea it was that high in withdrawal.  I think the hearings are proving their worth now.

I think when most of us think of roid users we think of greedy, cheaty players at whatever level they play.  But the hearings are painting a different picture.  This really is drug abuse that is associated with an addiction.  Once you are juiced it's very hard to get un-juiced for some.

Speaking of the WWE did any of you see that Real Sports special on HBO where McMahon was interviewed? The death rates & suicide rates of WWE stars in the Hogan era was alarming. I wonder if they are going to bring that up at these hearings.  McMahon of course disavowed any responsibility for those deaths.

One star that came to mind when I was a kid because he resembled something of a comic book character was the Ultimate Warrior.  The guy never reached the age of 40.

Not disagreeing with your point, Jugg, but Jim Hellwig, aka The Ultimate Warrior, is very much alive. There was a wCw lookalike called the Renegade who killed himself, some say at least in part from steroid withdrawal.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 11:33 AM)
One star that came to mind when I was a kid because he resembled something of a comic book character was the Ultimate Warrior.  The guy never reached the age of 40.

He's not dead

I've not heard any one advocate yet that MLB needs to spend $ to produce tv spots to publicly condemn the use of illegal drugs. I think this would do more to help the cause then slowly strengthening the drug testing policy in MLB.

This to me makes the best sense. A commitment to pay for & air such spots during every MLB telecast this year would hurt the pocket books of both the owners & players. Make the MLBPA & MLB produce their own spots with their own money.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 11:45 AM)
I've not heard any one advocate yet that MLB needs to spend $ to produce tv spots to publicly condemn the use of illegal drugs.  I think this would do more to help the cause then slowly strengthening the drug testing policy in MLB.

This to me makes the best sense.  A commitment to pay for & air such spots during every MLB telecast this year would hurt the pocket books of both the owners & players.  Make the MLBPA & MLB produce their own spots with their own money.

No. We need to get it out of the game. That's just window dressing on the problem. I would help, but not much.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 11:48 AM)
No. We need to get it out of the game. That's just window dressing on the problem.  I would help, but not much.

Agree. It's already known that it's not condoned.. at least they say so...

QUOTE(Whitesoxfan56 @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 11:48 AM)
thanks alot, this makes it easier now, i dont have to keep on clicking though 11 pages of posts

thanks again.

BTW, click the 'reply' button under the post you want to quote. :D

Edited by Iwritecode