Congressional hearing thread

rangercal

The moron from Indiana just asked the researcher if "the research on animals showed an improvement in hand-eye coordination" becuase this would benefit baseball players more.

How would you test this? Last time I checked animals do not have hands.

Edited by ptatc

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(ptatc @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 12:10 PM)
The moron from Indiana just asked the researcher if "the research on animals shoed an improvement in hand-eye coordination" becuase this would benefit baseball players more.

Knuclehead

Yeah our rat has been hitting Roger Clemens like fastballs ever since we started him on roids... what a f***ing dope...

QUOTE(ptatc @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 12:10 PM)
The moron from Indiana just asked the researcher if "the research on animals shoed an improvement in hand-eye coordination" becuase this would benefit baseball players more.

Knuclehead

Indiana. :headshake

:lolhitting Relax! I'm kidding.

No. We need to get it out of the game. That's just window dressing on the problem.  I would help, but not much.

I disagree. They just asked the parents of the dead children if they believe their kids would be alive today if MLB players had made public statements against steroid abuse when their kids were playing sports. All of them said yes.

Try to imagine the impact of those spots day in & day out during every game. Those spots could include %'s of fatalities, suicides, & other characteristics brought up in these hearings. That data being associated with iconic players of heroic stature would have a definite impact on high school players.

Now try to imagine players in the game getting caught at the same time these ads are airing daily. PR death.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 12:14 PM)
I disagree. They just asked the parents of the dead children if they believe their kids would be alive today if MLB players had made public statements against steroid abuse when their kids were playing sports.  All of them said yes.

Try to imagine the impact of those spots day in & day out during every game.  Those spots could include %'s of fatalities, suicides, & other characteristics brought up in these hearings.  That data being associated with iconic players of heroic stature would have a definite impact on high school players.

Now try to imagine players in the game getting caught at the same time these ads are airing daily.  PR death.

If MLB does nothing beyond "window dressing" it won't amount to a hill of beans.

I disagree. They just asked the parents of the dead children if they believe their kids would be alive today if MLB players had made public statements against steroid abuse when their kids were playing sports.  All of them said yes.

Try to imagine the impact of those spots day in & day out during every game.  Those spots could include %'s of fatalities, suicides, & other characteristics brought up in these hearings.  That data being associated with iconic players of heroic stature would have a definite impact on high school players.

Now try to imagine players in the game getting caught at the same time these ads are airing daily.  PR death.

GMAFB... they already know roids are bad and wrong. No need to say don't do them... slap the s*** out of the players doing them.. make them an example.. and scare the s*** out of the kids that want to be ball players by letting them know that if they do them they will NOT make it into professional sports.

QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 12:17 PM)
GMAFB... they already know roids are bad and wrong. No need to say don't do them... slap the s*** out of the players doing them.. make them an example.. and scare the s*** out of the kids that want to be ball players by letting them know that if they do them they will NOT make it into professional sports.

Thank you. You said it so much better than I did.

I do agree with Juggernaut mostly. Sure I think steriods shouldn't be around the game, but it's not because of the players that took them. Sure maybe there was an indirect influence, but that's just like watching the show Tilt and going and gambling and losing all your money, then killing yourself. The show Tilt didn't say anything about gambling your money away.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 12:20 PM)
"Baseball's new policy is designed to silence the critics and not to solve the problem."

Great great observation.

I absolutely love Lantos. He was awesome during the tobacco hearings also.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 12:21 PM)
I do agree with Juggernaut mostly. Sure I think steriods shouldn't be around the game, but it's not because of the players that took them. Sure maybe there was an indirect influence, but that's just like watching the show Tilt and going and gambling and losing all your money, then killing yourself. The show Tilt didn't say anything about gambling your money away.

I didn't say it wouldn't help. But that doesn't need to be the backbone of the policy.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 12:22 PM)
I didn't say it wouldn't help. But that doesn't need to be the backbone of the policy.

I guess what I'm getting at is sure steriods are wrong and shouldn't be used. But it's not like the players are forcing kids to use them. Players shouldn't be blamed for the death of those kids.

QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 12:17 PM)

I don't think this is necessarily true. They routinely do surveys in the NFL and ask the players "if you know steriods will take 10 years off your life will you still do them. " Most years over 50% said they will still do them because where else can I make millions of dollars for myself and my family.

I think they need to get the example and education out to the kids also.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 01:21 PM)

What?

That's not a good comparison at all.

Steroids affect moods negatively, which can lead to suicide.

Watching Tilt (all joking aside, as it is lame) doesn't affect you and make you want to commit suicide.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 12:21 PM)
I do agree with Juggernaut mostly. Sure I think steriods shouldn't be around the game, but it's not because of the players that took them. Sure maybe there was an indirect influence,

Hu...?? It's not the players fault..? "Maybe" it's an indirect influence...??

Kids wanting to be like pro ball players.. take the drugs pro players take.. but the players are not "directly" responsible...?

I apologize if I am misunderstanding, and if so could you please correct me.

Thanks.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 12:23 PM)
I guess what I'm getting at is sure steriods are wrong and shouldn't be used. But it's not like the players are forcing kids to use them. Players shouldn't be blamed for the death of those kids.

Yes! The players do need to accept some of the responsibilty. They are showing by example that this the way to get the big bucks, get the chicks (Chiks love the long ball) and to get to the HOF. They damn sure should hold some of the blame.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 12:23 PM)

WT... do you know anyone who wants to, or has the potential to be a profossional ball player..? I've known several and know a few HS and college ones currently.. you would not believe the influence pro players have over them.