Welp, Sosa is clean!

Six past or present star players including Mark McGwire and Jose Canseco were subpoenaed to appear before the House Government Reform Committee (news - web sites) later Thursday, and Sammy Sosa told the panel, "I am clean."

"Everything I have heard about steroids and human growth hormones is that they are very bad for you, even lethal," Sosa said in his prepared testimony. "I would never put anything dangerous like that in my body."

"To be clear," Sosa added, "I have never taken illegal performance-enhancing drugs. I have never injected myself or had anyone inject me with anything. "

That's from Yahoo News.

That is yahoo news.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 07:12 PM)
That's from Yahoo News.

That is yahoo news.

Read that again, he's not lying. "Illegal", as in not allowed in baseball. He did not use anything that was illegal at the time. He didn't inject, so he either injested pills or used a cream or ointment.

From the 'save your ass 'perspective, great comment.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 02:12 PM)
Read that again, he's not lying. "Illegal", as in not allowed in baseball. He did not use anything that was illegal at the time.

He didn't say "illegal according to MLB's rules" and steroids certainly have been illegal outside of baseball ever since he's been playing. In fact, I believe that steroid use has technically been illegal in MLB as well. MLB was simply not allowed to test for it under the terms of the CBA.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 03:46 PM)
He didn't say "illegal according to MLB's rules" and steroids certainly have been illegal outside of baseball ever since he's been playing.  In fact, I believe that steroid use has technically been illegal in MLB as well.  MLB was simply not allowed to test for it under the terms of the CBA.

Roids aren't illegal in most of the central and south american countries.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 05:59 PM)
HEY!!! Congrats man! But you might not want to swear once you get your Pope-hat! But good luck to ya!!! :P

I was wondering if they would take to a beer swilling and sailor like mouth as a pope? I guess I play nice until I get the new hat... then I let it out on em and see how it goes lol

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 09:46 PM)
He didn't say "illegal according to MLB's rules" and steroids certainly have been illegal outside of baseball ever since he's been playing.  In fact, I believe that steroid use has technically been illegal in MLB as well.  MLB was simply not allowed to test for it under the terms of the CBA.

From my understanding steroids are NOT illegal to TAKE or to have, however it IS illegal to sell or traffic steroids without the proper credentials to do so. Someone else here is also correct. In Mexico steroids can be bought at the local drug store like aspirin, so I am sure it is very legal in the Dominican Republic.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 06:02 PM)
I was wondering if they would take to a beer swilling and sailor like mouth as a pope? I guess I play nice until I get the new hat... then I let it out on em and see how it goes lol

You'd still be closer to Heaven than many popes... :ph34r:

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 18, 2005 -> 10:23 AM)
I sure do.

Sosa seemed nervous and gave short, one-word answers, from what I saw. Not only this, but he went back to not knowing English that well (he seems to do this when it's convenient for him).

Sammy is a lying, fake, out for himself prick and there really he can do to change my opinion of him.

:fight

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 09:46 PM)

Exactly, he left the language vague so that it's open for him to able to clean it up later, if he needs to. That's not a statement that can be proven to be a lie.

By the way, I'm not suggesting Sammy is clean.

Edited by LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 18, 2005 -> 11:33 AM)
Exactly, he left the language vague so that it's open for him to able to clean it up later, if he needs to. That's not a statement that can be proven to be a lie.

By the way, I'm not suggesting Sammy is clean.

After re-reading it, you guys are right....this statement is worded very vaguely and could be explained if hard evidence came out against him. Interesting...not that any statement would ever convince me he wasn't putting roids into that balloon head of his.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Mar 18, 2005 -> 04:43 PM)
After re-reading it, you guys are right....this statement is worded very vaguely and could be explained if hard evidence came out against him.  Interesting...not that any statement would ever convince me he wasn't putting roids into that balloon head of his.

He was also careful to say "...everything that I've HEARD about.....".

Very slick and great comment.

Mac should have said the same thing and he wouldn't have gotten roped like he did.

QUOTE(BaseballNick @ Mar 18, 2005 -> 04:22 PM)
Anyone else think he's full of s*** despite being under oath???

I totally do, Lester Munson was on the Score this morning and felt that his attorney read the statement because it is so carefully worded that they couldn't take the risk of Sosa going off script at all.