Cotts or Walker as LH Setup man?

beck72

52 members have voted

1. 1. Cotts or Walker as LH Setup man?

• Neal Cotts
    • Kevin Walker

QUOTE(beck72 @ Mar 20, 2005 -> 06:55 PM)
I agree. People see Neal's high ERA and often use it say he wasn't very good. His keeping inherited runners from scoring was over 70%. Where his ERA soared was when others gave up his inherited runners [though Neal like to get runners on base to start on inning--I kept hoping the Sox would only use him when there were runners on. Yet the Sox didn't have many options in the pen]. Neal's ERA should definitely be lower this year.

I agree that his numbers weren't very reflective of how he did last year. I believe that he did an average job (which I don't think Walker should have much of a problem duplicating). I just think both Cotts and the Sox would be better off if he worked at starting down in Charlotte. The only real disagreement we have here was how good Cotts was last year. Besides that, I basically agree with you guys. If Walker isn't as good as Cotts in the relief role, I have no problem going with the better pitcher. :cheers

Then again Walker has retired 17 of the first 18 hitters he's faced in AZ.

2000 63IP, vs RH .165A/601OPS, vs LH .257A/632OPS

2001 12IP, vs RH 095/507, vs LH 150/461

2002 8IP, 2003 7IP, 2004 2IP

He put in a full yr with the Padres in 2000, broke camp with them in 2001.

2002 & 2003 he was a late season call-up & 2004 he broke camp with SF.

I think the fact that he made the 25 man roster is meaningful.

ST 2005

K Walker 0.00ERA, 6.0IP

N Cotts 1.80ERA. 5.0IP

I'd say Walker's earned the final pen spot. Neal's pitched fine but Walker's 2000 yr is a lot more impressive than anything Neal's accomplished at the ML level. If he's back to his 2000 form Kenny might have lucked out here.

QUOTE(thomsonmi @ Mar 20, 2005 -> 09:45 PM)
Isn't this debate mute if the Sox keep both Osuna and Harris on the roster?

Since when did we bring back Antonio Osuna?

I don't think the roster is near finalized so it is still up in the air how many pitchers they will break camp with.

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Mar 20, 2005 -> 03:04 PM)
Since when did we bring back Antonio Osuna?

I don't think the roster is near finalized so it is still up in the air how many pitchers they will break camp with.

I obviously meant infielder Pablo Ozuna. Seems to me the decision is easy, there's no need for 12 pitchers during the first couple weeks of the season.

QUOTE(thomsonmi @ Mar 20, 2005 -> 10:11 PM)
I obviously meant infielder Pablo Ozuna.  Seems to me the decision is easy, there's no need for 12 pitchers during the first couple weeks of the season.

No one is saying 12 pitchers.

Buehrle

Garland

Garcia

Contreras

El Duque

Shingo

Marte

Cotts

Vizcaino

Hermy

Politte

Burke/Davis

Pierz

Konerko

Gload

Iguchi

Crede

Ozuna

Harris

Uribe

Everett

Pods

Rowand

Dye

Perez

25 on my count, with Harris going down (organizational standpoint) when Thomas comes back.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 20, 2005 -> 09:56 PM)
I still think that a lot of us are taking way, way too much out of a couple of ST appearances...

Usually, I'd agree with you. Especially when it comes to the performances of the regulars. But in this case, the job for the last relief spot seems pretty open. And Ozzie has said himself that Walker has made a strong case to come north with the club. I'd say that the performances of both Cotts and Walker this spring will have a great deal to do with who stays and who goes.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Mar 20, 2005 -> 10:26 PM)
Usually, I'd agree with you.  Especially when it comes to the performances of the regulars.  But in this case, the job for the last relief spot seems pretty open.  And Ozzie has said himself that Walker has made a strong case to come north with the club.  I'd say that the performances of both Cotts and Walker this spring will have a great deal to do with who stays and who goes.

True, but I don't necessarily think that that's the correct approach to take. But no doubt, in Ozzie's mind, he'll go by who he likes, with some exceptions...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 20, 2005 -> 09:56 PM)
I still think that a lot of us are taking way, way too much out of a couple of ST appearances...

Walker can barely cut it in the minors.  The spot is, and should be, Neal's.

The only opinion that matter are Ozzie and the coaches. So far Ozzie is impressed with Walker.

From the Daily Herald:

On a roll: In addition to Brandon McCarthy, left-hander Kevin Walker also has stepped up this spring and is making an unexpected push for a roster spot.

After pitching 1º scoreless innings Sunday, the 28-year-old Walker is still unscored upon in 6 Cactus League relief appearances, covering 7º innings.

Hes opened a lot of peoples eyes, Guillen said. Hes the talk of the day right now. He impressed me a lot. He throws strikes and is never behind the hitters. We are going to keep looking.