BMI talk from Congressional hearings thread

Steff

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(ptatc @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 09:43 PM)
I assume your refrring to yourself?  If you are it's good for a female. For male it should be a little lower.

Yea.. myself. I got a BMI analysis done reciently and from it, and it claims for my height and weight I should have a BMI in the 18 to 20 range....?? :huh

QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 09:46 PM)
Yea.. myself. I got a BMI analysis done reciently and from it, and it claims for my height and weight I should have a BMI in the 18 to 20 range....??  :huh

Like most of the standards in use today they are out of date and don't apply to reality. My favorite is the % body fat scale at 5'8' I should weigh about 160 pounds. I run marthons and I haven't been below 175 since 8th grade.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 09:49 PM)
Like most of the standards in use today they are out of date and don't apply to reality. My favorite is the % body fat scale at 5'8' I should weigh about 160 pounds. I run marthons and I haven't been below 175 since 8th grade.

I'm 5'6" and some of those weight things say I should weigh 130... if I weighed 130 I would kill myself. :o

QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 09:50 PM)
I'm 5'6" and some of those weight things say I should weigh 130... if I weighed 130 I would kill myself.  :o

Exactly, those things are decent for references but a healthy lifestyle with regular health check ups is the most important thing.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 09:53 PM)
Exactly, those things are decent for references but a healthy lifestyle with regular health check ups is the most important thing.

Well.. I weigh 114 and according to those I am underweight but according to a physical I'm in great health. They should update them if they are that far off.

Anyway... back to the topic. Thanks for the info.

QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 18, 2005 -> 02:55 PM)
Well.. I weigh 114 and according to those I am underweight but according to a physical I'm in great health. They should update them if they are that far off.

Anyway... back to the topic. Thanks for the info.

I only weigh a little over 100 pounds myself (yes I know I'm tiny), but my family is just very small, my mum and sister would weigh less than me. But I'm happy and healthy so that's all that matters.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 10:02 PM)
I only weigh a little over 100 pounds myself (yes I know I'm tiny), but my family is just very small, my mum and sister would weigh less than me. But I'm happy and healthy so that's all that matters.

All you folks are tiny down there.. :P

QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 09:46 PM)
Yea.. myself. I got a BMI analysis done reciently and from it, and it claims for my height and weight I should have a BMI in the 18 to 20 range....??  :huh

BMI also has to do with your build..

My BMI says im "obese" but it doesnt take in account muscle or anything like that, so it can be a little off

Edited by T R U

QUOTE(T R U @ Mar 18, 2005 -> 10:53 AM)
BMI also has to do with your build..

My BMI says im "obese" but it doesnt take in account muscle or anything like that, so it can be a little off

I say I'm average.. the doctor says I am petite. :huh When I think of petite.. I think if a little 4'6" 90lb Asian girl... :lol:

This thread refuses to die :D

Now that we're on to BMI I just want to add a few things. Don't become a slave to this number. It's not a one size fits all.

I have a BMI that fluctuates around 25. I am 6'3" 210#. I have a 46-48in chest, 36-37in waist, & 36in inseam. Am I overweight? Everyone who knows me thinks of me as being thin. All of us have fat & as we get older the biggest battle is the stomach & lats (luv handles). I think that applies to both sexes. Your metabolism is like a big oven. When you're young it runs at very high temps than can burn fat quickly. As you get older the temp keeps dropping & you have to run the oven longer to burn the same amount of fat.

As a general rule for real men if your chest size is 25% bigger than your waist size you're not overweight. For real women it's probably a similar function between hips & waist size but don't quote me on this.

By definition real men are those men who can at least bench their own wt 3 times ;)

I have approximately a 15% increase from my waste to hips.. (just over 3"). I definitely don't count on, or am a slave to the BMI. I really just got into even considering it because I have always been slim and didn't have to do any target working out. Now I run more and lift less - not that I lifted much in the past.. but now I use less weight and increased any lifting I do by 10 to 15 reps. I only used to run 9 to 10 miles a week (3 or so miles 3X a week). Now I am doing 16 to 20 (4 miles 4 or 5 time a week) mainly because I feel better when I run.

Do men have more problems with the love handles than women...? I can barely get a pinch of skin back there.. :huh

I'm not bragging here, cuz I'm just plain lucky genetically. I'm the guy everyone hates. Eat whatever I want, thin as a rail. 6'1", 180 lbs, 32 inch waist. In fact, I have to eat a LOT, drink protein shakes and work out just to build mass so that I don't wither away. I think if I didn't, in 2 months I'd be down to like 140 lbs. :puke

Maybe I should juice.......... ;) trying to get us back on track.

Edited by LosMediasBlancas