BMI talk from Congressional hearings thread

Steff

I eat like a horse..literally. Always have and have never weighted more than 122 lbs in all my life. I didn't start working out to lose anything. I've just always done it. But I will admit.. if I didn't do it I do wonder if I would get fat..

Not gonna stop to find out though. LOL.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 18, 2005 -> 06:36 PM)
I eat like a horse..literally. Always have and have never weighted more than 122 lbs in all my life. I didn't start working out to lose anything. I've just always done it. But I will admit.. if I didn't do it I do wonder if I would get fat..

Not gonna stop to find out though. LOL.

Who knows.

I know there have been a few times where I've stopped for like a month or two and have dropped like 10 lbs. and gained no fat. It's all genetics. There are people I see at the gym who work out hard, eat well and can't seem to lose. :huh

QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 18, 2005 -> 12:36 PM)
I eat like a horse..literally.

Literally??

You stick your face into a bucket????

( NOTE that I actually am not 100% sure if horses stick their faces into buckets to eat, as I am not now NOR have I ever been a horse....a pig or mule, maybe....but it sounded funny to me anyway....on the advice of my attorneys, I respectfully decline to continue this joke..... )

QUOTE(The Critic @ Mar 18, 2005 -> 12:40 PM)
Literally??

( NOTE that I actually am not 100% sure if horses stick their faces into buckets to eat, as I am not now NOR have I ever been a horse....a pig or mule, maybe....but it sounded funny to me anyway....on the advice of my attorneys, I respectfully decline to continue this joke..... )

:lolhitting

What a scumbag. I real man would stand up and finish the joke.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Mar 18, 2005 -> 06:40 PM)
Literally??

Refusing to talk about the past eh? Good move.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 18, 2005 -> 12:42 PM)

What a scumbag.  I real man would stand up and finish the joke.

ROTFLMAO!!!! OMG Critic... thanks I needed that laugh.

Mike.. maybe you want to separate out the BMI stuff...? The hearing info is excellent reading (IMO) for those that didn't see it and I apologize for hijacking it. :ph34r:

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 18, 2005 -> 12:42 PM)

What a scumbag.  I real man would stand up and finish the joke.

Witty retorts, lesson 1:

Grammatical errors diminish the "sting" of an attempted witty retort.

The retort ( and by extension, the "retorter" ) seem less witty if they are unable to use proper phrases and terms.

Students, this WILL be on the final exam.....

Edited by The Critic

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 18, 2005 -> 12:32 PM)
I'm not bragging here, cuz I'm just plain lucky genetically.  I'm the guy everyone hates. Eat whatever I want, thin as a rail. 6'1", 180 lbs, 32 inch waist. 

Brian - is that you?! lol

Brian is just like that. Drives me up a damned wall.

I started working out about 4 months ago and watch what I eat. It wasn't that I was getting fat, I just wanted to tone up. It is driving me nuts that I work out 4 days a week (at 1 - 1.25 hrs a time) and while I have toned up, I'v only lost about 6 lbs.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Mar 18, 2005 -> 12:46 PM)
Witty retorts, lesson 1:

Grammatical errors diminish the "sting" of an attempted witty retort.

The retort ( and by extension, the "retorter" ) seem less witty if they are unable to use proper phrases and terms.

Students, this WILL be on the final exam.....

If I didn't leave you some opennings it wouldn't be fair now would it :P

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Mar 18, 2005 -> 06:51 PM)
Brian - is that you?!  lol

Brian is just like that. Drives me up a damned wall.

I started working out about 4 months ago and watch what I eat.  It wasn't that I was getting fat, I just wanted to tone up.  It is driving me nuts that I work out 4 days a week (at 1 - 1.25 hrs a time) and while I have toned up, I'v only lost about 6 lbs.

Like you said, don't worry so much about the weight. Are you getting toned?

Edited by LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 18, 2005 -> 01:05 PM)
Like you said, don't worry so much about the weight. Are you getting toned?

My legs are much better than they were. Not much looseness anywhere on 'em. Now if I can get my arms to comply, I'd be happy. My midsection is slowly coming along, but I have to do the pilates a little more regularly.

QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 09:35 PM)
OT.. is a BMI of 14.4 good for a 31 year old..???

I don't like that formula, it's a one size fits all thing, doesn't take into account bone structure or anything else for that matter. In any case, congratulations for being 5'6'' and 114 lbs. I'm built like an NFL offensive lineman, only about a foot shorter. As a matter of fact I'm getting ready to pump some more iron so the bullies in cyber world and the "real" world don't pick on me. :D

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Mar 18, 2005 -> 07:13 PM)
My legs are much better than they were. Not much looseness anywhere on 'em.  Now if I can get my arms to comply, I'd be happy.  My midsection is slowly coming along, but I have to do the pilates a little more regularly.

I'm no expert, but I see the kind of workout the trainers at my gym make women do. It's mostly weights, with enough resistance to able to do 4 sets of like 12-15 reps. Supposedly, this makes you more cut and defined and doesn't add muscle bulk. I'm sure they do cardio too. :huh

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 18, 2005 -> 01:16 PM)
I'm no expert, but I see the kind of workout the trainers at my gym make women do. It's mostly weights, with enough resistance to able to do 4 sets of like 12-15 reps. Supposedly, this makes you more cut and defined and doesn't add muscle bulk.  I'm sure they do cardio too.    :huh

I do more cardio than weights, but I work on arms one visit and then legs the next on the weights. I am pleased with my progress on my legs, but my arms and middle need a little more work (mid section is coming along nicely, but I am having a really tough time on the arms though).

I don't like that formula, it's a one size fits all thing, doesn't take into account bone structure or anything else for that matter.

The luv handles vs pot belly thing on men I think is mostly genetic. Some men have

pots but no handles, some have handles but no pots, most have some pots & some handles.

That's why in men you look at chest size vs waist size & BMI as a better indicator.

The chest size is a good representation of bone structure & muscle mass.

I think Steff's agreeing with me that for woman it's probably hips vs waist & BMI.

The hips on a woman are a good representation of bone structure & muscle mass.

In general as you enter the 30's & beyond it's best to be more considered about working out to increase blood flow through the heart, arteries, & other organs than building muscle mass or losing weight. I'll take great circulation over a few extra pds any day.

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Mar 18, 2005 -> 06:06 PM)
This thread refuses to die :D

Now that we're on to BMI I just want to add a few things.  Don't become a slave to this number.  It's not a one size fits all. 

I have a BMI that fluctuates around 25.  I am 6'3" 210#.  I have a 46-48in chest, 36-37in waist, & 36in inseam.  Am I overweight?  Everyone who knows me thinks of me as being thin.  All of us have fat & as we get older the biggest battle is the stomach & lats (luv handles).  I think that applies to both sexes.  Your metabolism is like a big oven.  When you're young it runs at very high temps than can burn fat quickly.  As you get older the temp keeps dropping & you have to run the oven longer to burn the same amount of fat.

As a general rule for real men if your chest size is 25% bigger than your waist size you're not overweight.  For real women it's probably a similar function between hips & waist size but don't quote me on this.

By definition real men are those men who can at least bench their own wt 3 times ;)

How many times can you bench 210 lbs.??

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 18, 2005 -> 01:00 PM)
If I didn't leave you some opennings it wouldn't be fair now would it :P

Hmmm....making the poor spelling skills seem intentional.....very interesting tactic.....your interpreter must've whispered that in your ear..... :D

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 18, 2005 -> 12:32 PM)
I'm not bragging here, cuz I'm just plain lucky genetically.  I'm the guy everyone hates. Eat whatever I want, thin as a rail. 6'1", 180 lbs, 32 inch waist. In fact, I have to eat a LOT, drink protein shakes and work out just to build mass so that I don't wither away. I think if I didn't, in 2 months I'd be down to like 140 lbs. :puke

Maybe I should juice.......... ;)  trying to get us back on track.

Im like that too...

im 6'1 210 and my waist is 34

but when I do a BMI test it says that I am obese because of the fact it doesnt take in account muscle or stuff like that, so its not the best tool

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 18, 2005 -> 07:51 PM)
I just took this life expectancy test, and found out I had a BMI of 14.68 which was too thin (of course)  :lol:, and that I would live to 71.7 years.

http://www.agingresearch.org/calculator/quiz.cfm

My life expectancy was 76.3 and this is what it told me about my BMI

"Significantly overweight, meaning you are at significant risk for obesity-related illnesses such as heart disease, high blood pressure, stroke, diabetes and cancer."

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 18, 2005 -> 07:51 PM)
I just took this life expectancy test, and found out I had a BMI of 14.68 which was too thin (of course)  :lol:, and that I would live to 71.7 years.

http://www.agingresearch.org/calculator/quiz.cfm

Your calculated health span is 93.9 years. Below, please find the reasoning behind the questions, which you answered that made your score less than it should be:

I was completely honest... even about the smoking. :ph34r: