Another wonderful prediction from foxsports.com

southsideirish71

Dont worry this turd of a reporter will be swearing how he predicted that the sox would be the team to beat come August if we are in first. These are almost getting comical.

Another Moronic prediction

3. White Sox

It's been another unfocused and generally harmful off-season for GM Kenny Williams. They achieved a nifty upgrade with the A.J. Pierzynski signing, but the Carlos Lee trade will be a low-grade disaster. Jermaine Dye was not a sage addition, and the small-ball tactics of manager Ozzie Guillen will hurt the offensive attack.

The rotation is a potential strength in terms of its one-through-five depth, but there's little else to get excited about. Frank Thomas' health concerns are another source of concern. Another garden-variety 82-win season is probably in the offing. They're the quintessence of a third-place club without a real prayer of winning the division.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Mar 19, 2005 -> 10:43 PM)
Dont worry this turd of a reporter will be swearing how he predicted that the sox would be the team to beat come August if we are in first.  These are almost getting comical.

Another Moronic prediction

3. White Sox

It's been another unfocused and generally harmful off-season for GM Kenny Williams. They achieved a nifty upgrade with the A.J. Pierzynski signing, but the Carlos Lee trade will be a low-grade disaster. Jermaine Dye was not a sage addition, and the small-ball tactics of manager Ozzie Guillen will hurt the offensive attack.

The rotation is a potential strength in terms of its one-through-five depth, but there's little else to get excited about. Frank Thomas' health concerns are another source of concern. Another garden-variety 82-win season is probably in the offing. They're the quintessence of a third-place club without a real prayer of winning the division.

This is the worst one yet. Absolutely pathetic. Where have these guys been living the last 6 months?

Sox acqusitions never once mentioned:

Hernandez

Iguchi

Hermanson

Podsednik & Vizcaino (not by name)

The Sox are a very iffy team. They could be a division winner or they could finish in 3rd like this "expert" prognosticator wrote. Crede, Dye, Posednik, El Duque, Conteras, Iguchi are all counted on to produce. I'm not sure every one of them will. The way I see it, we have two solid starters and three question marks. The bullpen should be solid. Lots of maybes in the starting lineup. Ozzie got the team revamped the way he wanted it. Now we'll just have to see how it all turns out.

There's no question it's a sink or swim team. They'll either be a 90+ win team or they'll be an 80- win team.

I agree with him wholeheartedly with the Lee trade. Lee got it done at home & on the road. One of the few players who did. When you compare his #'s over 162 gms to Koney he was clearly the White Sox MVP last year. When you trade your most consistent hitter you're hurting.

We are banking on Pods+Dye > LF(04)+RF(04). Not since 2001 has Dye performed at a level to believe in that. Most likely we will suffer a drop-off in that combined production.

We are banking on Iggy > Harris. I think that's a legitimate assumption.

There are several quality LH starters in the ALC now. Those will be momentum games.

Everett should hold the fort at DH until Thomas returns but it's still a drop off. Especially in OBP. That drop-off could impact Koney. If you look at the years Frank's been on the DL Koney's production drops significantly.

Especially on the road. It's even at best.

AJP's a major upgrade & he did make reference to that.

What he failed to mention is the pen. This is where the swim vs sink comes into play the most. The Sox have the potential to have the best 6 man pen in the ALC. The additions of Herm, & Vizc represent a major improvement over what was there. That should make both Marte & Shingo even better because of the change in styles between the 4 & because of less pressure. It's rounded out with Politte & Cotts (my guess). Politte much improved as the season wore holding the 7th inning. Cotts showed improvement as well.

I agree his failure to mention anything about the pen was moronic.

I think we are different, not better. We will need a couple breaks, pitching stays healthy, Frank returns quickly and at 100%, balls bounce the right way, etc.

I could write a prediction finishing 1-3 possibly even 4. The problem I have with a 3 or 4th place finish is it presupposes that Cleveland and Detroit have leapfrogged us. I do not see it. I think we easily kept pace with Cleveland and Detroit had a longer way to go.

Spring Training is too damn long. Let's count them.

Our starting rotation is better than last year.

Our bullpen is better than last year.

Our defense is better than last year.

Our speed is better than last year.

Will our offense be that much worse to offset all these gains? I don't know.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Mar 20, 2005 -> 10:31 PM)
Our starting rotation is better than last year.

Our bullpen is better than last year.

Our defense is better than last year.

Our speed is better than last year.

Will our offense be that much worse to offset all these gains?  I don't know.

no...cuz even if the offense was a tad worse(which it is in a way but not a lot) our pitching and defense makes up for the would be losing margins in games...

With many teams, if not ALL teams, there are optimistic ways to evaluate a team as well as pessimistic ways. Both can be valid.

For example, the Cardinals look loaded on offense and with starting pitching, BUT if you look at them pessimistically they're a bit long in the tooth, their middle infield defense took a hit, their bullpen is thinner and their starters have injury histories. So in print that would look worrisome.

I generally like the way the team has looked in spring when the guys who will go north have played, and we've already seen some depth develop in the pitching ranks ( McCarthy, Walker and so on ), so I'm leaning towards optimism.

QUOTE(TheBlackSox8 @ Mar 20, 2005 -> 10:20 PM)
the dude lost all credibility with me after he said radke and santana were the best one-two in the majors.  Hmmmm....Schilling and Martinez I think were probably the best....Or maybe Oswalt and Clemens....

Pedro is with the Mets now...

Santana's halve's:

Pre-AS 00: 1W 2L 6.85ERA Pos-AS 00: 1W 1L 6.05ERA

Pre-AS 01: 1W 0L 4.74ERA Pos-AS 01: 0W 0L 9.00ERA

Pre-AS 02: 4W 1L 2.45ERA Pos-AS 02: 4W 5L 3.31ERA

Pre-AS 03: 4W 2L 3.00ERA Pos-AS 03: 8W 1L 3.13ERA

Pre-AS 04: 7W 6L 3.78ERA Pos-AS 04: 13W 0L 1.21ERA

Playoffs 04: 1W 0L 0.75ERA, ST 05: J Santana 1W 0L 0.00ERA 9.0IP

Who are we kidding? The guy is poised to pick up where he left off.

Santana-Radke are the best 1-2 in the AL on the strength of Santana alone. RJ-Mussina, Schilling-Clement are challengers but not favorites.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 21, 2005 -> 08:18 AM)

I think thats why he said were, and not are :huh

I mean, what baseball fan doesnt know Pedro signed with the Mets, thats all I can make from that.. and if he didnt know, wow, BlackSox.. :P

Edited by T R U

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 21, 2005 -> 08:18 AM)

Brad Radke and Johan Santana — the best one-two punch in the game last season

he said last season.....Pedro was on the Redsox last season. And as i think about it more....Oswalt and Clemens were better by far. so they were the best last season....and probably this season to start.

QUOTE(T R U @ Mar 21, 2005 -> 11:44 AM)
I think thats why he said were, and not are  :huh

I mean, what baseball fan doesnt know Pedro signed with the Mets, thats all I can make from that.. and if he didnt know, wow, BlackSox..  :P

You and SS2k5 didn't read the article right on what i was stating about it......He said they were the best in the game last season. I said Schilling and Pedro, or Oswalt and Clemens were. And guess what....they were. Pfft....Radke, give me a break.

I knew what i was talking about, did you?

:lolhitting