Buerhle Injury Update

quickman

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if our pitching is truly as deep as they claim it is, we should be able to hold our own until Mark returns, and at that point, it would put us over the top and we can go on a surge...

Freddie, Contreras, Duque, Garland and (hopefully) Bmac need to step it up while Big Hurt and Mark are MIA...and when both return, it will boost the team huge.

If it's only a hairline fracture, he could be back in 4 weeks, +2 for getting into game shape, so we are looking at May 1st or thereabouts...that is only about 4 starts...so for what it's worth, although it sucks, we cannot just give up on the season because one or two players go down...this team needs to rise above that type of adversity if we plan on going anywhere.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Mar 21, 2005 -> 10:04 AM)
Exactly!!!!

We have to hope to stay about .500 until June 1 when he should be back to form.

Exactly!!!!

We have to hope to stay about .500 until June 1 when he should be back to form.

Not June! May. At least it will only affect April.

Apr 4,off,6,7: vs CLE Garcia, Hernandez, BMac vs Westbrook, Milwood, Lee

We can win this series.

Apr 8, 9, 10 @ MIN: Garland, Garcia, Hernandez vs Lohse,Santana,Radke

Should scrape out a win.

Apr 11,12,13, off @ CLE: BMac, Garland, Contreras vs Sabathia, Lee, Davis

Should scrape out a win.

Apr 15,16,17 vs SEA: Garcia, Hernandez, BMac vs ?,?,?

We can win this series.

Apr 18,19 v MIN: Garland, Contreras vs Lohse,Santana

We'll be swept.

Apr 20,21 @ DET: Garcia, Hernandez vs ?,?

We can win this series.

Apr 22,23,24 @ KCR: BMac, Garland, Contreras vs ?,?,?

We can win this series.

Apr 25,26,27,off @ OAK: Garcia, Hernandez, BMac vs ?,?,?

We can win this series.

Apr 29,30, May 1 vs DET: Garland, Garcia, Buehrle vs ?,?,?

We can win this series.

It's not as bad as some of you think. Assuming BMac doesn't suffer the curse of rookie starter for the ChiSox :pray

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

I have an alternative to B-Mac coming up.

Hermanson comes in as the emergency 5th starter for 6 weeks (his versatility is part of the reason we signed him, is it not?) Now Kevin Walker can take the vacant spot in the pen bc he's been tearing it up in ST.

I think calling up B-Mac is our best move, but but for all of those who dont think he's ready just yet the Hermanson Walker thing might be a nice alternative.

Worst case scenario: Mark isn't back till' May, struggles to return to form, doesn't get completely healthly and in the swing of things until June. In an attempt to plug the hole in the rotation, the Sox bring up McCarthy who gets bombed in the MLB and struggles with confidence after that. Sox get off to a slow start and have to play catch-up.

Best case scenario: Um...I'll get back to you later.

This is bad, f'ing news.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Mar 21, 2005 -> 10:22 AM)
Worst case scenario: Mark isn't back till' May, struggles to return to form, doesn't get completely healthly and in the swing of things until June.  In an attempt to plug the hole in the rotation, the Sox bring up McCarthy who gets bombed in the MLB and struggles with confidence after that.  Sox get off to a slow start and have to play catch-up.

Best case scenario: Um...I'll get back to you later.

This is bad, f'ing news.

Best case scenario is that he heals quickly and BMac pitches well in between that time.

This sounds serious and I don't care if it's June or July, give MB all the time he needs. With a tender foot you can alter your throwing motion and then wreck your arm, like what happened to Dizzy Dean a long time ago. This news sucks and that's the only way to put it. I don't expect young B Mac to come in and be Rookie of the Year, although it would be nice if he could. He probably needs another year or so in the minors. Lights out in spring training isn't the same as lights out when the games really count. This is very discouraging. I'd say if I had to pick one player the Sox could least afford to lose it would be Mark Buerhle.

So are we positive BMac will be the in the rotation. I would assume so like everyone else, I just don't want to see Cotts get the call for it. This news has really putten a damper on my day already.

ESPN radio said they we're already leaning in that direction because Contreras looks pretty bad. BMac's a lock now. Assuming he finishes ST strong he's probably our #3.

The plus side: BMac in rotation. If he can get through April with a winning record, we will be all the stronger for it. Jon & Jose have got to see the writing on the wall now.

If BMac gets it done one of them is not likely to remain on the team when Mark returns. They are competing against each other to stay in the rotation. Garland has substantially more trade value than Contreras because of his price tag. But the best case for the ChiSox would be to trade Contreras.

I hope Kenny gives BMac a chance & doesn't lose his cool & overpay greatly to acquire another accomplished starter.

Yahoo Sports

Official, Bmac gets the slot.

All things considered, could be a blessing in disguise.  If Bmac dominates, we could be looking at something special in the making, with 5 solid starters and a fallback in Conteras.

-y2

I'll wait & see what Ozzie says but I'd be surprised if BMac is the 5th. They were already leaning towards BMac in the rotation because Contreras looks confused.

It wouldn't make sense to give Contreras the extra start or two.

QUOTE(El Piervizdyeguchansodnik @ Mar 21, 2005 -> 10:28 AM)
Best Case Scenario: BMac shines and becomes our #3 when Buehrle comes back and our 1-3 is phenomenal.

This could be a blessing in disguise if BMac comes up and makes it impossible to send him back down when Mark comes back.

This is what I'm praying for.

I would like to nominate this for the worst thread of the year.

Just a thought on rotation. Why not pitch B-Mac in the first series? Give him the #3 spot. He's the hottest arm we have.

I hope this Oh s*** moment doesn't cause him to start thinking and tinkering. He needs to keep is 20 year old head on straight.

I'm drinking the koolaid and think Dontrell time :cheers

He needs to practice this phrase

I never wanted to make the team this way. I hope Mark returns quickly and completely. Until then I just want to help the team and pitch well when they hand me the ball.

Edited by Texsox

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Mar 21, 2005 -> 10:31 AM)
ESPN radio said they we're already leaning in that direction because Contreras looks pretty bad.  BMac's a lock now.  Assuming he finishes ST strong he's probably our #3.

The plus side: BMac in rotation.  If he can get through April with a winning record, we will be all the stronger for it.  Jon & Jose have got to see the writing on the wall now.

If BMac gets it done one of them is not likely to remain on the team when Mark returns.  They are competing against each other to stay in the rotation.  Garland has substantially more trade value than Contreras because of his price tag.  But the best case for the ChiSox would be to trade Contreras. 

I hope Kenny gives BMac a chance & doesn't lose his cool & overpay greatly to acquire another accomplished starter.

OK, that's good to hear for BMac. If there is a positive in this, it's going to be seeing him pitch in the regular season.

Since it looks like Buehrle will definitely miss all of April, I'm happy they didn't trot out the lame "we'll just go with a 4 man rotation" line.

They should still pick somebody up (a starter) who's willing to pitch at AAA, you can never have enough depth and freak injuries prove it. In about 10 days, there will be some guys available. If any of Garcia-Contreras-Garland-Hernandez-BMac have problems they'll need a guy.

Sox are deep in bullpen fill ins but not starters.

QUOTE(JimH @ Mar 21, 2005 -> 10:42 AM)
Since it looks like Buehrle will definitely miss all of April, I'm happy they didn't trot out the lame "we'll just go with a 4 man rotation" line.

They should still pick somebody up (a starter) who's willing to pitch at AAA, you can never have enough depth and freak injuries prove it.  In about 10 days, there will be some guys available.  If any of Garcia-Contreras-Garland-Hernandez-BMac have problems they'll need a guy.

Sox are deep in bullpen fill ins but not starters.

Another route is stretching Cotts out. We still have a couple starters that have shown AAA flash in the system.