Hawk

TLAK

I, for one, think he is a major staple in sox baseball and viewing a game is made better with him on the broadcast. The only problem with him now is that he doesnt have a partner to bring him back to earth. But still, I dont know how you can call him the worst broadcaster just cause he is excited about the team and is a homer. Have you ever listened to bulls games?? Brewers Games??? Reds Games??? Harey Carey is belove by millions, and he was the biggest homer of them all. I think Hawk's experience in the game, his contacts during his career, and some of the best calls in baseball make him a top pbp guy by far.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On top of some of the reasons you guys have listed to not like Hawk, I have 1 more. IMO, the guys in the booth should kinda represent the city, the character of the team, it's fan base and that particular part of the city in this case. Hawk just doesn't fit, he just doesn't SOUND right. When I think of a typical, traditional, southside, Sox fan, sports fan Chicagoan, I don't think of a guy who says "cinch it up and hunker down' or 'he gaaawn' or whatever the hell it is. Give me a Mike North (WITH a brain) or a Superfan sounding guy. To me THAT represents Chicago, especially the southside. We have a clear identity, a lot of teams don't, we should embrace it.

Hawk is a 'good ole boy' who should be doing games for like the Braves, Astros or Rangers....anywhere in the south.

On top of some of the reasons you guys have listed to not like Hawk, I have 1 more.  IMO, the guys in the booth should kinda represent the city, the character of the team, it's fan base and that particular part of the city in this case. Hawk just doesn't fit, he just doesn't SOUND right. When I think of a typical, traditional, southside, Sox fan, sports fan Chicagoan, I don't think of a guy who says "cinch it up and hunker down' or 'he gaaawn' or whatever the hell it is. Give me a Mike North (WITH a brain) or a Superfan sounding guy.  To me THAT represents Chicago, especially the southside.  We have a clear identity, a lot of teams don't, we should embrace it.

Hawk is a 'good ole boy' who should be doing games for like the Braves, Astros or Rangers....anywhere in the south.

I really hope we never get a guy with as stupid sounding a voice as Mike North. I wouldn't enjoy my ears bleeding while watching a Sox game.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Mar 22, 2005 -> 04:45 PM)
I really hope we never get a guy with as stupid sounding a voice as Mike North.  I wouldn't enjoy my ears bleeding while watching a Sox game.

You only say that because North is stupid and he says stupid things. I can understand not being able to see around that. I don't mind just the accent at all.

YASNY getting offended by a southern swipe??? My God, no! Let it go, Christ.

As for Hawk, I've been loathing him for a while now. He sucks off the proverbial cock of everyone on the team, as noted earlier as so-and-so is the best he's seen; is completely ignorant when it comes to statistics in general; repeats the same dumb, simplistic commentary that morons would love; and is far too infatuated with "old" baseball.

"Don't tell me what you hit, tell me when you hit it."

Enjoy building your franchise around Timo Perez then.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 23, 2005 -> 10:08 AM)
I'm not gonna open this one up, agree to disagree, enjoy your day...sir.

You apparently cannot recognize your obvious discrimation against the residents of our southern states. "Good ol' boy" used in the way you used it is degrading. If you can't see it, your blind. Of course, Chicago is a racist city because the San Francisco Chronicle said it was. Being painted with a broad brush sucks, doesn't it.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 23, 2005 -> 04:18 PM)
You apparently cannot recognize your obvious discrimation against the residents of our southern states.  "Good ol' boy" used in the way you used it is degrading. If you can't see it, your blind.  Of course, Chicago is a racist city because the San Francisco Chronicle said it was.  Being painted with a broad brush sucks, doesn't it.

Sorry, fish still aren't biting.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 23, 2005 -> 10:28 AM)
Sorry, fish still aren't biting.

That's the attitude. Jump out there and insult 1/4 of the United States, get called on it and wuss out. Whatever. Some fish are rainbow trout, others are carp.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Mar 23, 2005 -> 09:50 AM)
YASNY getting offended by a southern swipe??? My God, no! Let it go, Christ.

As for Hawk, I've been loathing him for a while now. He sucks off the proverbial cock of everyone on the team, as noted earlier as so-and-so is the best he's seen; is completely ignorant when it comes to statistics in general; repeats the same dumb, simplistic commentary that morons would love; and is far too infatuated with "old" baseball.

With all the politcally correct advocates here, why the hell does something that offends me get a "My God, Let it go!" ? It's bulls***. If I was black or gay there'd be 100 people jumping to my defense.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 23, 2005 -> 10:33 AM)
With all the politcally correct advocates here, why the hell does something that offends me get a "My God, Let it go!" ? It's bulls***.  If I was black or gay there'd be 100 people jumping to my defense.

He said "Good ol' boy". He did not call southerners slave owning racists, KKK members, darkie haters, fire hose operating hicks, segregationists, uneducated, simplistic or anything that was remotely offensive.

He could have called southerners a plethora of more offensive terms, so shut up and grow some skin.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Mar 22, 2005 -> 01:52 AM)
I think it's exaggerated due to the amount of ST broadcasts we get this season.  There's only so much you can talk about during those games.

Agreed, Spring Training games really are tough to watch in their entirety, let alone broadcast them....I luuuuuuv Hawk because it's fun hearing a Sox fan broadcast Sox games :cheers

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 23, 2005 -> 04:31 PM)
That's the attitude.  Jump out there and insult 1/4 of the United States, get called on it and wuss out.  Whatever.  Some fish are rainbow trout, others are carp.

I know what I wrote and what I meant and what I believe. You will not convince me of anything different and apparently I will not convince you, nor am I going to try. I don't care what you think you might know about me based on something I wrote here.

However, I have written in other threads that what matters is the IMPACT and not the intent of what people say. Although my intent was not to be offensive, apparently I offended you. For that I apologize.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 23, 2005 -> 10:51 AM)
I know what I wrote and what I meant and what I believe. You will not convince me of anything different and apparently I will not convince you, nor am I going to try.  I don't care what you think you might know about me based on something I wrote here. 

However, I have written in other threads that what matters is the IMPACT and not the intent of what people say. Although my intent was not to be offensive, apparently I offended you.  For that I apologize.

That works. Thank you.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Mar 23, 2005 -> 10:41 AM)
He said "Good ol' boy". He did not call southerners slave owning racists, KKK members, darkie haters, fire hose operating hicks, segregationists, uneducated, simplistic or anything that was remotely offensive.

He could have called southerners a plethora of more offensive terms, so shut up and grow some skin.

What offends me, offends me. I don't need you to tell me whether or not I should be offended.

Back to Hawk YALL

I think he is a bit bored broadcasting the dog days of spring training. It's pretty hard to get excited about a strike out by a pitcher that has absolutely no chance of making the team in a game that doesn't count. Thank goodness for the interviews. I don't know how well they would work during the season, but having the players up in the booth has been great this spring. With all of the new players, it gives them a chance to kind of introduce themselves to the fans.

Also, in Hawk's defense, perhaps those who have grown weary of the Hawkisms may have just watched so many games that he is bound to seem repetative. I mean, I would imagine that fans who take the time to visit Soxtalk watch as many games as possible. If you were to talk to anyone 3 hours a day, that person might start to get on your nerves at times.

Well, while I'm arguing for Hawk's greatness, I might as well mention how thrilling it must be for some guy to turn on a Sox game just because nothing else is on. Then he/she hears a YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD, or a COME ON TIMO call. That is pretty damn exciting and makes a lasting impression.

Back to Hawk YALL

I think he is a bit bored broadcasting the dog days of spring training.  It's pretty hard to get excited about a strike out by a pitcher that has absolutely no chance of making the team in a game that doesn't count.  Thank goodness for the interviews.  I don't know how well they would work during the season, but having the players up in the booth has been great this spring.  With all of the new players, it gives them a chance to kind of introduce themselves to the fans. 

Also, in Hawk's defense, perhaps those who have grown weary of the Hawkisms may have just watched so many games that he is bound to seem repetative.  I mean, I would imagine that fans who take the time to visit Soxtalk watch as many games as possible.  If you were to talk to anyone 3 hours a day, that person might start to get on your nerves at times. 

Well, while I'm arguing for Hawk's greatness, I might as well mention how thrilling it must be for some guy to turn on a Sox game just because nothing else is on.  Then he/she hears a YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD, or a COME ON TIMO call.  That is pretty damn exciting and makes a lasting impression.

Good post, nicely put.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Mar 23, 2005 -> 11:50 AM)

Haha. Or "Don't tell me how many bases he stole, tell me when he stole 'em!" God, I love Hawk! :bang :gosox3: