The Pope is still ailing

southsider2k5

"Feeding through a drip is maybe not enough. Therefore, there is usually a small operation to combat this inability to swallow, and the consequent problem of having little food," said Pezzoli.

"In other words, often the food goes down the wrong way and can create problems of infection in the airway."

My gramma endured this in her last few years and was subsequently put on a feeding tube. She had some brain damage from doctors who didn't read an MRI correctly and thusly allowed brain bleeding to go on for an extended period of time. The brain damage caused problems in swallowing which caused her to choke when she would try to swallow.

She learned to eat again, but soon after suffered a stroke and never was able to eat again.

QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 22, 2005 -> 03:17 PM)
Do they already have a "next in line" picked..??

I thought those meetings didn't happen until after he dies/gives up the seat? I am sure there is likely a favorite, but I wonder if any of us would ever be privy to that... :unsure:

QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 22, 2005 -> 03:17 PM)
Do they already have a "next in line" picked..??

IIRC the College of Cardinals would meet and vote for his successor. It is a very secretive process, in which there are no public canditates, and no one states their interest in the position. Rumors a while ago that they want to appoint a Latino or African Pope to try to reach out to more non-Euro people. I don't know if that is still relevant or not.

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Mar 22, 2005 -> 03:18 PM)
I thought those meetings didn't happen until after he dies/gives up the seat?  I am sure there is likely a favorite, but I wonder if any of us would ever be privy to that...  :unsure:

I have no idea of the process.

Maybe they can appoint a chick to straighten things out.. :lolhitting

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 22, 2005 -> 04:19 PM)
IIRC the College of Cardinals would meet and vote for his successor.  It is a very secretive process, in which there are no public canditates, and no one states their interest in the position.  Rumors a while ago that they want to appoint a Latino or African Pope to try to reach out to more non-Euro people.  I don't know if that is still relevant or not.

There have been lots of rumours swirling about. NPR does a story on it every few years or so. Nothing stated, but there's always whispers.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Mar 22, 2005 -> 03:22 PM)
Watching Jim Gaffigan today:

The Pope...you know there has to be some guy in Poland watching his TV, seeing the Pope and saying to his friends in the retirement home "I went to school with the Pope. He was a dick!"  :lol:

I must be going to hell, I can't stop laughing at that.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 22, 2005 -> 03:25 PM)
Go ahead and wait for it.

Yeah, there is a lot of secrecy.   I even read a ledgend involving ashes and smoke or something, anyone?

Hmmmm... ashes & smoke.. wonder if there's any swinging going on at that meeting. :huh

Off to hell with me... :rolly

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Mar 22, 2005 -> 03:28 PM)
White smoke means a pope and dark smoke means no pope yet (or something like that)... or maybe I transferring what I saw in the movie Shoes of the Fisherman (I think that was the name of it).

That's about right. IIRC from my RCIA classes. The Cardinals meet somewhere in The vatican and a continuous fire burns that blows black smoke out the chimney. When they've finally decided on a Pope they put something in the fire that makes the smoke white. All the while, there are thousands waiting outside staring at that chimney for days, weeks, etc. Sounds like a pretty intense and beautiful tradition, IMO.