Possible Sox&Reds Deal

Winnin Ugly

Ken Rosenthal was on Sporting news radio and was talking about possible deals before the start of the season...

He mention that the Reds are scouting Jon Garland as well as a few other sox players but he fail to mention that who the sox might get in return..

Any Ideas who the sox would be looking at.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Mar 22, 2005 -> 04:34 PM)
They have a ridiculously thin farm system too... Edwin Encarnacion is about all that's there.

The first guy that popped into my mind as a kenny/ozzie type of a player from Cinci is Ryan Freel. He's a grinder and he can definitely run, Freel's actually one of my favorite players to watch but like I said it'd be stupid to trade Garland right now.

I have a friend who is a big time Reds fan. He has told me the Reds have made it known that they will deal Griffey for just about anything... or Willy Mo Pena in the right deal. The Reds have too many OF, Not enough Pitching, and not enough in the infield. I have heard Griffey rumored to the Astros or DRays, and Willy Mo Pena to the Mets, Nationals, and DRays...but I haven't heard anything about a possibile trade with the Pale Hose.

If we were to make a trade with the Reds, it would have to be Freel. Kenny sees how Crede is sucking it up again in camp and he probably knows he needs a backup 3rd baseman. Freel is the ultimate Ozzie-ball player. He gets on base, steals a bunch of bases, and can play multiple positions. I just don't think we can trade Garland and throw B-Mac to the flames so soon. But it sure would be nice to have another leadoff man incase Podsednik struggles.

Edited by Jabroni

You know how about a trade that would be a three way trade that would send garland, cotts, and borchard to the reds for willie mo pena, then send pena to the nationals to the nationals for L. Hernandez or Z. Day. Jim Bowden is in love with W. Pena. I dont know, just specualation on my part.

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ Mar 22, 2005 -> 04:53 PM)
I have a friend who is a big time Reds fan.  He has told me the Reds have made it known that they will deal Griffey for just about anything... or Willy Mo Pena in the right deal.  The Reds have too many OF, Not enough Pitching, and not enough in the infield.  I have heard Griffey rumored to the Astros or DRays, and Willy Mo Pena to the Mets, Nationals, and DRays...but I haven't heard anything about a possibile trade with the Pale Hose.

We have a ton of OF's too. It'd be interesting to see what we try to get outside of the utility backup IF or what have you.

Freel is a fan favorite in Cincy.

I doubt Kenny likes him enough to a point where he'd overpay for him -- and in order for Cincy to trade him, they'll have to be pretty overwhelmed...

EDIT: And Freel certainly would not be an option for the leadoff hitter. He had a .375 OBP last year, but in the minors, he was at .356. I highly doubt he keeps it up in the .370's... A nice bench player, but certainly not one you overpay to get.

Edited by CWSGuy406

Pena could easily hit 40 homers at the Cell with his great stroke to right-center. I don't want Freel on this team though if he's starting at 3b. He had some major defensive issues when I saw them face the Cubs last year at 3b. Also, I'm not so sure I want another grinder starting for us. We have enough of those in the starting lineup.

Freel is a fan favorite in Cincy.

I doubt Kenny likes him enough to a point where he'd overpay for him -- and in order for Cincy to trade him, they'll have to be pretty overwhelmed...

EDIT:  And Freel certainly would not be an option for the leadoff hitter.  He had a .375 OBP last year, but in the minors, he was at .356.  I highly doubt he keeps it up in the .370's...  A nice bench player, but certainly not one you overpay to get.

Would you like to know Podsednik's minor league career OBP? Oh yeah, .347. So what is wrong with .356 anyways? :huh: Freel was the Reds' leadoff man for many games last season.

Pena could easily hit 40 homers at the Cell with his great stroke to right-center.  I don't want Freel on this team though if he's starting at 3b.  He had some major defensive issues when I saw them face the Cubs last year at 3b.  Also, I'm not so sure I want another grinder starting for us.  We have enough of those in the starting lineup.

I don't understand some of you guys. We have the ultimate offensive black hole of Joe Crede at 3rd base and you want ANOTHER outfielder over a 3rd baseman? Freel could be a disgusting #2 hitter behind Podsednik and we could have great speed at 5 positions in our lineup. Just look at Willy Mo Pena's minor league totals and tell me you still want him. He's a free-swinging K master.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Mar 22, 2005 -> 06:32 PM)
I don't understand some of you guys.  We have the ultimate offensive black hole of Joe Crede at 3rd base and you want ANOTHER outfielder over a 3rd baseman?  Freel could be a disgusting #2 hitter behind Podsednik and we could have great speed at 5 positions in our lineup.

I wouldn't give up Garland in a deal to get Freel, which is what this whole discussion was based on given Garland's name was mentioned right off the bat.

Freel was on the Bats here in Louisville for a while and he was mostly thought of as a career minor leaguer as he is already 29. Perhaps he did break through but I wouldn't be surprised to see him take a substantial drop off this year. I don't view him as a better situation for us at 3B than Crede, but hey, what do I know.

I wouldn't give up Garland in a deal to get Freel.

He was on the Bats here in Louisville for a while and he was mostly thought of as a career minor leaguer as he is already 29.  Perhaps he did break through but I wouldn't be surprised to see him take a substantial drop off this year.

I never said I would give up Garland for Freel either. It would have to be Garland for Freel and prospect(s) and I still wouldn't be sure if I'd want to do it. I don't like the idea of throwing B-Mac into the rotation so soon. Speaking of minor league numbers, Willy Mo Pena's are even worse...

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/wily_mo_pena.shtml

.255 AVG

.311 OBP

.432 SLG

.743 OPS

:puke

All I'm saying is that I'd rather have a backup plan for Crede incase he sucks again this year than have another outfielder since we already have a glut of them. Dye will probably outperform Willy Mo Pena this year anyways.

Edited by Jabroni

Joe Randa could always be a possibility but it's more likely we could deal for him mid - season if Crede doesn't turn it around. Maybe after today, the Giants could have interest in Griffey, but that would be iffy to say the least.

I wouldn't give up Garland in a deal to get Freel, which is what this whole discussion was based on given Garland's name was mentioned right off the bat.

Freel was on the Bats here in Louisville for a while and he was mostly thought of as a career minor leaguer as he is already 29.  Perhaps he did break through but I wouldn't be surprised to see him take a substantial drop off this year.  I don't view him as a better situation for us at 3B than Crede, but hey, what do I know.

Alex, for the record, you know quite a bit about baseball.

Next, on this Reds thing ... they are scouting Borchard for sure. Don't ask me why they're scouting Borchard, but they are.

If the Reds are scouting Garland, fine, but the Sox will want some sort of pitching in return. They are finally set up 1-5 and despite the emergence of McCarthy they are smart enough to know someone may miss a few starts along the way. KW wants this team built on deep pitching. I cannot see Garland moved for only a position player.

Willy Mo Pena ... he may be ready to break out. quickman likes him, and has seen him play quite a bit. Although it pains me internally to do so :D I will go with his judgement. It's not that the Sox definitely need him, but maybe they feel they want to upgrade. That said, I cannot see the Sox trading for him.

Think of what the Sox need ... a backup plan at 3B and yes, they are always interested in pitching.

By the way, do the Reds need a catcher? I suspect they do.

Think of what the Sox need ... a backup plan at 3B and yes, they are always interested in pitching.

By the way, do the Reds need a catcher?  I suspect they do.

Ben Davis and Joe Borchard for Ryan Freel and prospect(s) sounds good to me.

I don't think they really need a catcher though. Jason LaRue isn't bad at all and Javier Valentin (Jose's brother) is his backup.

Edited by Jabroni