Possible Sox&Reds Deal

Winnin Ugly

QUOTE(qwerty @ Mar 23, 2005 -> 05:02 PM)
He is not even a career .300 hitter with steroids. So your saying without them he would have a better average? Find that very hard to believe.

Maybe I exaggerated with .300

But I could seriously have seen like .285-.290.

Sosa was pretty much a .300-.330 hitter during his roids run in the late 90s, early 00s...I could see .280-.300 without them.

So instead of .300 35 100 .950(because he would be around .950...consider that he hit .259 this year and still put up a SLG of like .527...if he starts hitting, he will be pitched around, and the OBP will go up...he would be around .950)...if he puts up .285 35 100 .900...are you gonna complain?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok I hate to keep this thread going, but I see alot of reds ball. I have a big client in cinci and plan all my trips around reds home games. Danny Graves, has one foot in the grave. He is on his last leg. Good pitcher that is over pitched. Willy Mo is good ballplayer but will not be traded to the sox.

Wish he would be.

Ok I hate to keep this thread going, but I see alot of reds ball. I have a big client in cinci and plan all my trips around reds home games. Danny Graves, has one foot in the grave. He is on his last leg. Good pitcher that is over pitched.  Willy Mo is good ballplayer but will not be traded to the sox.

Wish he would be.

As we discussed at lunch, I don't see the matchup between the two teams.

Ozuna 2-2 again today, hard to imagine he doesn't have the utility spot locked up.

Levine says the Cubs are hot on the trail of a lefthanded reliever, of course fat Harry Teinowitz immediately mentioned Kelly Wunsch, Levine said it won't happen.

The next 10 days will be interesting, in terms of personnel. I still smell a trade, of the minor variety.

QUOTE(JimH @ Mar 23, 2005 -> 08:07 PM)
As we discussed at lunch, I don't see the matchup between the two teams.

Ozuna 2-2 again today, hard to imagine he doesn't have the utility spot locked up.

Levine says the Cubs are hot on the trail of a lefthanded reliever, of course fat Harry Teinowitz immediately mentioned Kelly Wunsch, Levine said it won't happen.

The next 10 days will be interesting, in terms of personnel.  I still smell a trade, of the minor variety.

I don't know if anyone else talked about this but in baseball weekly it said that the Giants had a lot of interest in Borchard. It's probably increased with the current Bonds scenario.

Maybe Jesse Foppert? (I know, wishful thinking)

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE(ptatc @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 03:36 AM)
I don't know if anyone else talked about  this but in baseball weekly it said that the Giants had a lot of interest in Borchard. It's probably increased with the current Bonds scenario.

Is Foppert actually healthy now? I know he has had some troubles with health issues in the past and I think he was shut down for a part of last year.

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Mar 23, 2005 -> 09:39 PM)
Is Foppert actually healthy now?  I know he has had some troubles with health issues in the past and I think he was shut down for a part of last year.

Reports are that he is doing well after the arm injury. Maybe they will take the chance and trade him?

I don't know if anyone else talked about  this but in baseball weekly it said that the Giants had a lot of interest in Borchard. It's probably increased with the current Bonds scenario.

It would make some sense with Bonds potentially missing most of the season, according to his own words. Not that there's a chance in hell that Borchard could come close to Bonds' production but they could still use a power-hitting outfielder. Right now they are planning to go with Pedro Feliz in LF and Moises Alou in RF. They could put Borchard in RF and move Alou back to the position he should be playing, LF. Alou has absolutely NO business playing that RF.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 03:42 AM)
It would make some sense with Bonds potentially missing most of the season, according to his own words.  Not that there's a chance in hell that Borchard could come close to Bonds' production but they could still use a power-hitting outfielder.  Right now they are  planning to go with Pedro Feliz in LF and Moises Alou in RF.  They could put Borchard in RF and move Alou back to the position he should be playing, LF.  Alou has absolutely NO business playing that RF.

I agree. Alou in RF is a big problem waiting to happen.

I agree.  Alou in RF is a big problem waiting to happen.

I understand why they signed him (big year and Felipe) but he is bad enough in LF. I can't believe they thought it would be a good idea to stick him in SBC's RF. Alou is pretty much a DH at this stage in his career. I almost want to watch some Giants' games just to see Moises flop around there. There's no more ivy for Alou to kick balls into. :lol:

Edited by Jabroni

RF there is probably the hardest corner outfield position to play in baseball (at least up there anyways). I thought it was a bad siutation defensively but I guess they figured they'd mash the ball to make up for it. This could end up being a 04 D-Backs situation developing there. I don't feel as good about my Jason Schmidt first round fantasy pick.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Mar 23, 2005 -> 10:00 PM)
  I almost want to watch some Giants' games just to see Moises flop around there.  There's no more ivy for Alou to kick balls into. :lol:

:huh (my best impression of Alou in the field)

RF there is probably the hardest corner outfield position to play in baseball (at least up there anyways). I thought it was a bad siutation defensively but I guess they figured they'd mash the ball to make up for it. This could end up being a 04 D-Backs situation developing there.  I don't feel as good about my Jason Schmidt first round fantasy pick.

They may need Borchard just for his defense, just so they don't have to play Alou in RF.

Guys, they ain't trading Foppert for Borchard. Foppert had some arm trouble last year but he's fine, probably going to be starting for them this year and he's put up good numbers in the majors and is still quite young.

He's a superior player in comparison to Joe Borchard.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 10:18 AM)
Guys, they ain't trading Foppert for Borchard.  Foppert had some arm trouble last year but he's fine, probably going to be starting for them this year and he's put up good numbers in the majors and is still quite young.

He's a superior player in comparison to Joe Borchard.

I know like I said wishful thinking but I wonder what we could get, especially if Bonds continues to whine about being tired and sitting out most of the season.

Bonds = DL.

Alou is now free to play LF since Bonds won't be there.  Hopefully ever again.

That's just mean. Yes, I've read the testimony by his ex girl-friend. Yes I believe it's pretty strong evidence against him that he used roids. But roids didn't help him to set the bar on walks to a level that may never been broken. No one on roids has ever come close to producing Barry's OBP or BA as consistently as he has.

You can question the HR's but the rest of his numbers are probably in sync with what he would have done roids-free.

As for trading Borchy if someone's out there & willing to overpay for him do it.

J Borchard ST-05 .212A 14G 33AB 8R 7H 21TB 2D 0 4HR 11RBI

Otherwise send him to AAA let him get his numbers up & trade him then.

He has no future with the CWS. Hitting 212 in AZ is ridiculous. I'm done dreaming of his potential. He can't hit. He can only bash once in a while.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 11:48 AM)
That's just mean.  Yes, I've read the testimony by his ex girl-friend.  Yes I believe it's pretty strong evidence against him that he used roids.  But roids didn't help him to set the bar on walks to a level that may never been broken.  No one on roids has ever come close to producing Barry's OBP or BA as consistently as he has.

You can question the HR's but the rest of his numbers are probably in sync with what he would have done roids-free.

As for trading Borchy if someone's out there & willing to overpay for him do it.

J Borchard ST-05 .212A  14G  33AB 8R 7H  21TB  2D  0  4HR  11RBI

Otherwise send him to AAA let him get his numbers up & trade him then.

He has no future with the CWS.  Hitting 212 in AZ is ridiculous.  I'm done dreaming of his potential.  He can't hit.  He can only bash once in a while.

The dilemma is that would he have those walks especially those 120 IBB if he didn't hit the home runs? Not all of the home runs were steriod enhanced but I bet the rate he hit them at is.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 11:48 AM)
That's just mean.  Yes, I've read the testimony by his ex girl-friend.  Yes I believe it's pretty strong evidence against him that he used roids.  But roids didn't help him to set the bar on walks to a level that may never been broken.  No one on roids has ever come close to producing Barry's OBP or BA as consistently as he has.

That's a load of bulls***. Steroids enabled Bonds to hit homeruns where he previously wasn't, thus expanding his strikezone. Pitchers who could have enduced flyball outs were now giving up 400 foot home runs to the opposite field. Pitchers had no option really but to make perfect pitches and thus came the walks.

Steroids can produce a positive correlation not only with slugging, but when done effectively, on-base percentage.

That's a load of bulls***. Steroids enabled Bonds to hit homeruns where he previously wasn't, thus expanding his strikezone. Pitchers who could have enduced flyball outs were now giving up 400 foot home runs to the opposite field. Pitchers had no option really but to make perfect pitches and thus came the walks.

Steroids can produce a positive correlation not only with slugging, but when done effectively, on-base percentage.

Roids enabled Bonds to hit more HR's which then is factored into the calculation of his OPS, OBP, & SLG. Unless you have another roids player to compare him to that clearly shows that roids enabled him to hit more singles, doubles, triples, & get walks you are standing in a pile of bulls***.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 12:25 PM)
Roids enabled Bonds to hit more HR's which then is factored into the calculation of his OPS, OBP, & SLG.  Unless you have another roids player to compare him to that clearly shows that roids enabled him to hit more singles, doubles, triples, & get walks you are standing in a pile of bulls***.

If you can't see how Bonds' ability to hit HR affect his walk totals, and therefore his OBP and OPS, then there is no hope for you.

If you can't see how Bonds' ability to hit HR affect his walk totals, and therefore his OBP and OPS, then there is no hope for you.

In you mind I imagined not but if your argument held any weight there would be at least one other roid player you could compare him to showing such a demonstrative change in walks as a result of roids. I'm asuming since you can't even name such a player you have no basis other than your opinion to support your argument.

You could ask the question if Bonds only hit's 40-50 HR's during those yr's roids-free would teams have still intentionally walked him as many times as they did? I believe the answer is yes. You're making the assumption that w/out roids Barry is hitting fly outs. You can take the other argument that w/out roids Barry is not swinging for the fences as much & he's hitting more doubles & singles.