Possible Sox&Reds Deal

Winnin Ugly

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Mar 22, 2005 -> 07:28 PM)
The thing you guys are forgetting is that Garland keeps getting more and more expensive and he is not performing any better than a good 5th starter.  He will make $3.4 million this year and will earn even more next year since he's only under a 1-year deal.  Is a good 5th starter worth $5 million?  There is a time to trade underperforming and somewhat overpriced guys -- when you can get young, cheap talent.

The thing you're forgetting is Garland has the same numbers as Eric Milton. The same Eric Milton who the Reds gave the cookie cutter 3/22+ deal this off-season.

If the reds value Milton at $7M+, don't you think they'd love Garland at 3.5

Edited by Gene Honda Civic

The thing you're forgetting is Garland has the same numbers as Eric Milton.  The same Eric Milton who the Reds gave the cookie cutter 3/22+ deal this off-season.

If the reds value Milton at $7M+, don't you think they'd love Garland at 3.5

Well, Jabroni just got owned.

I think we all might UNDERvalue what Jon could get on the open market, espeically to a NL team.

So because the Reds stupidly and ridiculously overpaid Milton, I just got owned? Give me a break. :rolly Everyone and their mother knew that the Reds signed Milton to a moronic deal that not even the Yankees were willing to give him. Referencing one of the worst pitcher contracts in the history of the MLB does not strengthen your argument in my opinion.

Is Garland worth $3.4 million? Of course. Is he worth $5+ million. I'm not sure. Just because other teams are willing to overpay for mediocrity doesn't mean that we should too.

Edited by Jabroni

Here's the long and short of this thread:

It is highly doubtful the White Sox are looking to trade starting pitching, unless they got major league caliber pitching in return.

They have absolutely no reason to trade starting pitching, believe it, they are very happy having 6 capable starting pitchers. Williams tries to have the pitching staff 15 deep.

I can see them moving a fringe bullpen arm in order to give that player an opportunity with another club, but that's it.

As for moving an established starter for cheap young talent, sometimes that makes sense but this team is in "win now" mode.

I still think there will be a trade of some sort before 4/4 but it's much more likely to be on a smaller scale ... somebody like Borchard, Harris, Bajenaru, Diaz.

Guys, the White Sox aren't gonna be trading any of there 6 starters (McCarthy included in that list). However, there is the battle of left handed relievers (Cotts and Walker) and maybe teams have taken noticed of Walker. I'm sure a few of them would be interested in having them for the right price, especially if Kenny decides he still needs a utility player (I think they'll go with Ozuna for now).

However the Sox have a lot of those guys that fit in the AAAA to Major league mode like Felix Diaz and then there is Baj whose an older AAAer who has broken out and pitched his ass off in the minors and some teams could have interest in him.

The SOx have a lot of guys the Reds could be semi interested in, hell even Willie Harris. But Jon Garland isn't going to the Reds unless they are getting in a 3 way deal and somehow getting another starting pitcher and a utility guy or something along those lines.

And yes, Freel would look good on the Sox. I also think Willy Mo will be a hell of a ballplayer. Too bad he signed a major league deal becuase if he didn't he'd of been in fantastic shape at this point, instead he had to rot away on the Reds for a while without being sent to the minors.

Walker got pounded pretty good today. I haven’t seen it yet; the replay is still in the 6th. His next outing will be big. Everyone needs to see if this was just one of those days or is arm is going bad again.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Mar 22, 2005 -> 11:32 PM)
Would you like to know Podsednik's minor league career OBP?  Oh yeah, .347.  So what is wrong with .356 anyways? :huh:  Freel was the Reds' leadoff man for many games last season.

I really don't like it when people try to put words in my mouth. Where did I say I like Podsednik as our leadoff man? Anywhere, anywhere at all?

Maybe you can look for that while looking among other things...

I really don't like it when people try to put words in my mouth.  Where did I say I like Podsednik as our leadoff man?  Anywhere, anywhere at all?

Maybe you can look for that while looking among other things...

Just making a point. I sure wouldn't mind having Freel as a fall-back option for Crede, who looks poised for another breakout season.

And one more thing -- isn't Garland arbitration eligible for next season?

I think Garland is worth right around four-five million if he's able to pitch around 200 innings, and keep his ERA from 4.50-4.80. But then again, the market this offseason got a bunch of pitchers who are about as good as Garland a lot of money, so I dunno...

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Mar 23, 2005 -> 02:59 AM)
Just making a point.  I sure wouldn't mind having Freel as a fall-back option for Crede, who looks poised for another breakout season.

No, but I'm sure not gonna take anything from Spring Training. Has Crede performed at the major league level consistently yet? No -- but I'll start judging him when he isn't hitting in the regular season, not based on 30 ST AB's...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 22, 2005 -> 09:04 PM)
And one more thing -- isn't Garland arbitration eligible for next season?

I think Garland is worth right around four-five million if he's able to pitch around 200 innings, and keep his ERA from 4.50-4.80.  But then again, the market this offseason got a bunch of pitchers who are about as good as Garland a lot of money, so I dunno...

He was eligible this year so next year would be his second year of arbitration i believe.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Mar 23, 2005 -> 03:08 AM)
He was eligible this year so next year would be his second year of arbitration i believe.

Thanks for clearing that up...

I'm sort of pissy right now. The Roundball Classic sucked, we left at halftime... My seats sucked, the whole thing sucked.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 22, 2005 -> 09:09 PM)
Thanks for clearing that up...

I'm sort of pissy right now.  The Roundball Classic sucked, we left at halftime...  My seats sucked, the whole thing sucked.

Just to clear it up further....

Garland is in his second arb year this year. Next year would be his third and final before becoming a FA.

Oh and the Roundball Classic = Stinker...

I went to a McDonalds all American game, and that would have sucked too if it wasn't 1) free and 2) the highest scoring game in history.

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Mar 23, 2005 -> 03:28 AM)
If they are thinking about trading Garland, I would package Borchard and Cotts, and get Freel and Austin Kearns. Or how bout Borchard, Ben Davis and Cotts for Kearns, hell what about Danny Graves.

Graves sucks, plain and simple.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Mar 22, 2005 -> 09:25 PM)
Just to clear it up further....

Garland is in his second arb year this year.  Next year would be his third and final before becoming a FA. 

Oh and the Roundball Classic = Stinker...

I went to a McDonalds all American game, and that would have sucked too if it wasn't 1) free and 2) the highest scoring game in history.

I thought he may be in his second year but i was to lazy to make sure so i just said one. What is the cut off for pitchers to ( amount of time up or games pitched?) until it goes toward a year of a teams six years of rights?

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Mar 22, 2005 -> 06:19 PM)
I guess I'm just not impressed with him.  22 BB, 108 SO, and a .316 OBP is disgusting.  I understand potential but his minor league numbers sucked and he appears to just be a free-swinging strikeout master with a ton of power like Borchard.  By the way, remember that Pena is from the Dominican so his age is automatically in doubt.

It is a little late, but still worthy.

Wily Mo Pena, 2004(24 years old) - .259 26 HR 66 RBI 5 SB .316 OBP, 527 SLG, .843 OPS, 22 BB, 108 K in 110 games, 358 PA's

Sammy Sosa, 1993(24 years old) - .261 33 HR 93 RBI 36 SB, .309 OBP, .485 SLG, .794 OPS, 38 BB, 135 K in 159 games, 636 PA's

Surprise, surprise, I have seen him compared to Samme before.

And you wonder why any team wouldn't want him.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 22, 2005 -> 11:11 PM)

Wily Mo Pena, 2004(24 years old) - .259 26 HR 66 RBI 5 SB .316 OBP, 527 SLG, .843 OPS, 22 BB, 108 K in 110 games, 358 PA's

Sammy Sosa, 1993(24 years old) - .261 33 HR 93 RBI 36 SB, .309 OBP, .485 SLG, .794 OPS, 38 BB, 135 K in 159 games, 636 PA's

No guarauntee he starts up with the steroids though. ;)

I really do like pena's potential though

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 22, 2005 -> 09:11 PM)

Umm, if he puts up Sosa like numbers I'd gladly take Pena. I'm talking about that few year run Sosa had where he was the best or one of the best offensive players in baseball.

This is ego aside. But if the Sammy Sosa from 98 was still around I'd take him on the sox any day of the week. As much as I hate the assclown he was amazing during that run.

A few random thoughts:

*Garland won't be going anywhere. He's cheaper than Contreras and more consistent. The Reds may be interested in guys like Adkins or Diaz as a 5th SP type/ long reliever though

*The sox could use a backup plan for leadoff in case Pods gets hurt. [The in-house options of Iguchi or Rowand aren't all that great] Whether Freel is that guy who knows. But he sounds like a possibility

*I don't know where Freel fits in on the Sox. If he could play 1b, maybe Gload could be dealt. But the bench seems pretty set w/ Timo, Ozuna, Davis/Burke, and Gload and I don't see Freel going to AAA

*A few guys should be gone soon.---Diaz, Joe B, Harris, maybe more. Most likely for AAA depth, younger prospects with more upside than these guys.