Need a Heroin fix?

NUKE_CLEVELAND

So where are the free prostitutes and beer?

Actually, I will be interested in seeing how this effects the rate of HIV transmission, criminal activity by addicts, etc. It may well end up like a version of our methodone clinics - but one that actually works the way it is supposed to.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Mar 23, 2005 -> 08:36 AM)
This is disturbing.  I had a close family member who was an addict, and this does not sound like a good solution to me.  Getting off heroin is what is needed.  I certainly see the reasoning, but its f***ed up.

Its the same thing as when they hand out clean needles to IV drug users here. The goal is to prevent infection but all you really end up doing is subsidizing and encouraging the behaivior.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Mar 23, 2005 -> 10:40 PM)
Its the same thing as when they hand out clean needles to IV drug users here.  The goal is to prevent infection but all you really end up doing is subsidizing and encouraging the behaivior.

Out of curiosity, do you feel the same way about condoms being made available to high schoolers?

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Mar 23, 2005 -> 11:13 PM)
Out of curiosity, do you feel the same way about condoms being made available to high schoolers?

Yes. High school teens dont need to be having sex.......period and the schools shouldn't be encouraging the behaivior by passing out condoms. "They're going to do it anyway" is not an excuse either.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 01:51 AM)
Yes.  High school teens dont need to be having sex.......period and the schools shouldn't be encouraging the behaivior by passing out condoms.  "They're going to do it anyway" is not an excuse either.

I don't think it is intended to be an excuse so much as a simple statement of fact.

Yeah, the teen sex problem has taken on epic proportions, and with it, a litany of "side effects" like HIV, STDs, pregnancy, etc. Short the lofty ambition of stopping the teen sex, is there not a benefit of at least moderating the negative consequences that we all end up paying for?

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 01:12 AM)
I don't think it is intended to be an excuse so much as a simple statement of fact.

Yeah, the teen sex problem has taken on epic proportions, and with it, a litany of "side effects" like HIV, STDs, pregnancy, etc.  Short the lofty ambition of stopping the teen sex, is there not a benefit of at least moderating the negative consequences that we all end up paying for?

I think we need to do a better job of explaining to teens why having sex at their age is a bad idea before we throw up our hands and supply them the tools to do it with.