SoxTalk Types

TLAK

SoxTalk is like a good neighborhood bar. I have some experience in bars and notice similarities between the folks you run into at a good tavern and some of the types on this board. It’s not meant to be derogative towards anyone, but to poke a little fun at all of us. Here is a non-inclusive list.

The Lifer Did you ever frequent the same bar at different hours and notice there is at least one customer who is ALWAYS there. You try to think if you have ever been there when he wasn’t. You wonder, when does he eat? When does he take a shower?

The Rock Star Doesn’t show up very often but when he does he gets into every conversation, whether he’s asked something or not, and turns it into a discussion of his life story.

The Assistant He’ll jump the bar to help change a Keg, usually getting in the way. He puts the pool sticks back in the rack even if he isn’t playing, getting greasy fingers on every one of them. He means well.

The Monger He is the reason that bad news travels fast. On a slow day he sits looking out the window, just hoping for you to come in so he tell you so and so got a DUI.

The Mayor He is highly respected and everyone looks up to him. The quickest route to becoming The Mayor is to state the obvious and otherwise keep your mouth shut. Not a bad philosophy, actually.

The Whiner If the juke box is playing he can’t hear the TV, if its not, this place is dead. Bored with the samo-samo every night but doesn’t like all these new guys.

The Mimic Watches some talk show or radio all day and spits it back out at night. Not limited to right wingers, I heard a girl recently mimic an AirAmerica Al Franken interview with Robert Rubin about Social Security, poking holes in Bush’s agenda. Almost word for word.

The Seagull He flies high above the topic, drops a tremendous load of s***, and then flies on, not even looking down to see where it landed. This type is also prevalent in business.

As I said, the list is not inclusive.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 23, 2005 -> 09:01 PM)
The Assistant He’ll jump the bar to help change a Keg, usually getting in the way. He puts the pool sticks back in the rack even if he isn’t playing, getting greasy fingers on every one of them. He means well.

If this isn't Gage, I don't know who it is.

:lolhitting

I thought the EXACT same thing.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 23, 2005 -> 08:50 PM)
That's a fun list, in my mind I was already assigning peoples names :bang

I am definitely the "lifer:  :)

I don't see myself on the list, but you my friend, are definitely the lifer. I look at the bottom of my screen and your name is always there, I finally decided to add this 3am to 5 am shift to get away from you. BTW, that ends during next off season. I see that post count dropping like a rock.

Edited by Texsox

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 10:45 AM)
I've been registered since September 2002 and have yet to hit 200 posts.

I'm not sure where that puts me...

With a real, honest to God life?

I'm not saying anything, just observing...just observing. :P

I don't think there is a spot for me on that list. Maybe "field trip patron from the local home for the mentally handicapped"???

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 12:29 PM)
With a real, honest to God life?

I'm not saying anything, just observing...just observing.  :P

I don't think there is a spot for me on that list. Maybe "field trip patron from the local home for the mentally handicapped"???

I guess it has to do with the fact that I'm usually only on here while I'm at work. I very rarely sign-on from home. Especially on weekends. I jump from this site to a few others and do a lot more reading (catching up) than posting.

I guess I can be considered the bar-hopper. I'll pop in, make a few posts and then head off to the next bar... uh, site.

Better grab one for the road. :drink