At least 14 dead in refinery explosion

southsider2k5

I've heard them say a few times that they have nothing to believe that this was a terorist attack. However, they did say that this plant has been fined $170,000 over that last 2 years for safety violations. That's probably not a lot for a plant this large, though.

I also heard that the blast broke windows ten mmiles away! :o

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 10:59 AM)
I totally understand it though.  It is a scary day and age we live in.

Very true. This type of thing fits. Oil is $57 a barrel which is taking a bite out of our economy. Bin Laden promised we'd be attacked economically. You don't have to jump very far to reach this conclusion.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 11:00 AM)
I feel bad for the famlies who lost loved ones in this but you have got to believe these bastards will use this as a way to explain raising the f***ing gas prices again....

Already been done. I heard this morning that this plant refines 3% of the nations oil - "So, expect another hike in prices."

QUOTE(mreye @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 11:06 AM)
Already been done. I heard this morning that this plant refines 3% of the nations oil - "So, expect another hike in prices."

There's currently a million gas stations raising prices as we discuss this.

QUOTE(mreye @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 11:06 AM)

And the wierd thing is that both spot crude and gasoline prices are moderately down today, even after the big losses they had yesterday :huh: Strange markets indeed.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 11:07 AM)
There's currently a million gas stations raising prices as we discuss this.

I got gas last night. And speaking of...

It really ticks me off that instead of putting the grades in their natural order of Regular, Plus and Premium from left to right; They put it Plus, Regular and Premium. I thought I was pumping regular for $2.00 and I was really pumping Plus for $2.10. Seems like a scam to me.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 11:08 AM)
And the wierd thing is that both spot crude and gasoline prices are moderately down today, even after the big losses they had yesterday :huh:  Strange markets indeed.

Most peculiar now.

QUOTE(mreye @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 11:10 AM)
I got gas last night. And speaking of...

It really ticks me off that instead of putting the grades in their natural order of Regular, Plus and Premium from left to right; They put it Plus, Regular and Premium. I thought I was pumping regular for $2.00 and I was really pumping Plus for $2.10. Seems like a scam to me.

You just have to pay closer attention... :bang

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 10:45 AM)
Texas City, TX.  The location of the worst industrial accident in US history. 

Has anyone expressed any question about the possibility of this being a terrorist act?

I heard it on the radio going to school this morning.. there was just an explosion where like the fuel ignites or something.. They were saying that people felt the explosion a mile away..

It was at a refinery so those things can happen

QUOTE(T R U @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 11:32 AM)
I heard it on the radio going to school this morning.. there was just an explosion where like the fuel ignites or something.. They were saying that people felt the explosion a mile away..

It was at a refinery so those things can happen

IIRC something similar happened at the Clark refinery here in Chicago. Was this near you TRU?

QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 11:35 AM)
IIRC something similar happened at the Clark refinery here in Chicago. Was this near you TRU?

Texas City is about halfway between the south part of Houston and Galvestion Island/the gulf coast. If he lives in Houston proper he is at least 25 or so miles away.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 11:36 AM)
Texas City is about halfway between the south part of Houston and Galvestion Island/the gulf coast.  If he lives in Houston proper he is at least 25 or so miles away.

Yeah I know where this happened.. Its prolly about 50 minutes or so from where I live..

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 11:41 AM)
Which burb are you in?  I lived in Webster, across I-45 from NASA for 3 years as a kid.  I miss it down there, big time.

I live in Katy... bout 30 mins west of Houston

a simple trip down I-10 and im there.. I go to just about every Astros home game on Tuesdays, you can get $1 tickets with a coke bottle then I just go sit wherever I want

been able to sneak into the Crawford Boxes a few times, Dan Wilson hit a HR that landed like 5 seats next to me.. I contemplated knocking over a little kid to go after it, but I decided not to..

QUOTE(T R U @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 11:51 AM)
I live in Katy... bout 30 mins west of Houston

a simple trip down I-10 and im there.. I go to just about every Astros home game on Tuesdays, you can get $1 tickets with a coke bottle then I just go sit wherever I want

been able to sneak into the Crawford Boxes a few times, Dan Wilson hit a HR that landed like 5 seats next to me.. I contemplated knocking over a little kid to go after it, but I decided not to..

Katy Texas, birthplace of the Rocket. :)

I went to a game at Minute Maid a few years back while on a vacation, and we sat in the Crawford Boxes. MM is a great place to see a game. One of my favorites.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 11:53 AM)
Katy Texas, birthplace of the Rocket. :)

I went to a game at Minute Maid a few years back while on a vacation, and we sat in the Crawford Boxes.  MM is a great place to see a game.  One of my favorites.

Yeah the house he lived in here, I dont know if he still does, is about 5-7 minutes from where I live..

I have driven past it a few times, its a pretty good looking house..

MM is a real good place, I just wish the Sox would hurry and make a trip back down here..