At least 14 dead in refinery explosion

southsider2k5

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 12:08 PM)
And the wierd thing is that both spot crude and gasoline prices are moderately down today, even after the big losses they had yesterday :huh:  Strange markets indeed.

Not that strange. Refinery explosions won't affect the price of crude oil at all. It might actually push the price down a little bit because there is less infrastructure to refine the crude oil to begin with. Where the price jump will be is in wholesale unleaded gas futures. However, I'd expect a delay there because the gas inventory is fairly good atm, however - if the Texas City plant is shut down for weeks/months, the price of gas could see a rise (probably a few cents a gallon 5-10) as a result.

(The following has no basis in fact as I'm only pretending to know of which I speak)

QUOTE(winodj @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 11:56 AM)
Not that strange. Refinery explosions won't affect the price of crude oil at all. It might actually push the price down a little bit because there is less infrastructure to refine the crude oil to begin with. Where the price jump will be is in wholesale unleaded gas futures. However, I'd expect a delay there because the gas inventory is fairly good atm, however - if the Texas City plant is shut down for weeks/months, the price of gas could see a rise (probably a few cents a gallon 5-10) as a result.

(The following has no basis in fact as I'm only pretending to know of which I speak)

your signature makes me shudder everytime I see it :P

QUOTE(winodj @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 11:56 AM)

For not knowing what you are talking about, you aren't too far off. You thought about a career in talk radio? ;)

It isn't the explosion that causes the uptick, its the people panicing after it. Its the same reason that when someone blows up a bomb that shuts down Iraqi oil, crude goes up $1. Its all psychogical. In reality, that crude was 3-4 months away from being gasoline, if that is exactly what that part of the refinery was doing. The only price it should affect would be something like september deliveries of specific energy futures. But in the real world people panic and drive prices up artifically.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 12:01 PM)
My Dad who used to work at Texas City for several years (thankfully he's in Edmonton now) told me that his old trailer was roughly 1500 feet away from the explosion. The windows were blown out, incredible.

Wow, that has got to send a chill down your spine. I can't imagine.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 12:59 PM)
For not knowing what you are talking about, you aren't too far off.  You thought about a career in talk radio?  ;)

It isn't the explosion that causes the uptick, its the people panicing after it.  Its the same reason that when someone blows up a bomb that shuts down Iraqi oil, crude goes up $1.  Its all psychogical.  In reality, that crude was 3-4 months away from being gasoline, if that is exactly what that part of the refinery was doing.  The only price it should affect would be something like september deliveries of specific energy futures.  But in the real world people panic and drive prices up artifically.

But I'm thinking that the market is already panicked out. When we hit 57 dollars, profit taking cycles started that are keeping oil between 53 and 55 dollars. The futures market already has the oil crunch effect in fully. It seems that the current sentiment that I see has more to do with future supply to be in decline and that we're at the top of the bell so to speak.

QUOTE(winodj @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 12:03 PM)
But I'm thinking that the market is already panicked out. When we hit 57 dollars, profit taking cycles started that are keeping oil between 53 and 55 dollars. The futures market already has the oil crunch effect in fully. It seems that the current sentiment that I see has more to do with future supply to be in decline and that we're at the top of the bell so to speak.

If there is anything I have learned after being in this industry for 6 years, is there is no such thing as too much panic. Panic makes traders money. Simply put, panic is good. (sorry Gordon Gecko)

But yeah, my magic numbers for crude are $57 and $50. It is in a pretty tight short term pattern right now, but if it breaks one of these numbers, it has a ways to go until it finds resistance. I was hoping they would continue the sell off today, that started yesterday, but no such luck. :angry:

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 01:06 PM)
If there is anything I have learned after being in this industry for 6 years, is there is no such thing as too much panic.  Panic makes traders money.  Simply put, panic is good. (sorry Gordon Gecko)

But yeah, my magic numbers for crude are $57 and $50.  It is in a pretty tight short term pattern right now, but if it breaks one of these numbers, it has a ways to go until it finds resistance.  I was hoping they would continue the sell off today, that started yesterday, but no such luck. :angry:

Am I actually holding my own with someone who works with this crap?

How come I have no money then?

QUOTE(winodj @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 01:06 PM)
I'm going to start going to BP more. They have stated that they will not participate in any ANWR wildlife refuge oil projects in Alaska.

What?! I guess I have to stop going there. :P ;)