US deserter not granted refugee status in Canada

KipWellsFan

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/20...man-050324.html

An immigration panel in Toronto has denied refugee status to a former paratrooper who fled the United States to evade the war in Iraq.

The Immigration and Refugee Board members said Thursday that Jeremy Hinzman, 26, hadn't convinced them that he would be persecuted if he returned to his native land.

I don't know where this guy is coming from. He enlists in the army when a Republican government is in power and after 9/11, what did he expect?

Edited by KipWellsFan

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 04:28 PM)
http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/20...man-050324.html

I don't know where this guy is coming from.  He enlists in the army when a Republican government is in power and after 9/11, what did he expect?

I have no sympathy whatsoever for military personnel who suddenly become contientious objectors when it comes time to fight a war. In fact, I believe the contientious objector provision should have been done away with when the draft was abolished. They raised their right hand knowing full well that they may be called upon to go fight. If you disagree with the reasoning for going to war then finish your time and get out honorably. This guy should be tried for and convicted of desertion and sentenced appropriately.

QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 11:18 PM)
Nuke.. how does this work..? The guy just decides to pack his bags one day and leaves..?

Pretty much. Unless we're deployed or off somewhere doing training the military is just like any other job with everyone getting off work around 5ish to go do whatever. There's no special controls or restrictions placed on our activity off duty so if someone really wanted to they could just haul ass and nobody would be the wiser till the next workday.