Ozzie praises Iguchi

bjm676

Guillen praises Iguchi's smarts

Learning process stressed by skipper for 2nd-base import

TEMPE, Ariz. -- Manager Ozzie Guillen is willing to accept that this season will be a learning process for new second baseman Tadahito Iguchi.

More important, Guillen seems content with Iguchi despite his lack of flair.

"Every day he has to prepare better than anyone else," Guillen said Sunday of Iguchi, who went 1-for-4 in the White Sox's 4-3 loss to the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim in California of the United States of America on the Continent of North America on Earth at Tempe Diablo Stadium. "Because the people here know the league already, he's got to learn every pitcher."

Iguchi kept the Sox's hopes alive by hitting a two-out RBI single in the ninth inning.

Iguchi, 30, who played eight seasons in Japan, is batting .273 in 33 spring at-bats. But he is emerging as a more consistent player than Willie Harris, who is batting only .179 and being evaluated at shortstop as the Sox explore ways to improve their infield depth.

Guillen didn't rule out Harris for the starting job but said, "I'm happy with what I see [in Iguchi]. He's doing a good job for us. Every day is a challenge for him and every day is something different. He's a smart player. I don't have any problems with him."

Before the game, Iguchi said every facet has been a learning experience. He rode from Tucson to Tempe in a car with his interpreter for companionship and did the same last Wednesday during a 2-hour-45-minute trek from Tucson to Surprise.

Iguchi made an exceptional play to retire Casey Kotchman in the seventh and quickly started a double play in the eighth.

But he admitted that fielding in the States has made his transition difficult because most of the fields he played on in Japan were artificial turf in indoor stadiums.

"It's tough on fielding," Iguchi said through his interpreter.

In the last week Iguchi has started to pull more pitches instead of hitting solely to right. He flied out to left in the fourth and hit his RBI single to center.

His biggest transition could be adapting to Chicago, since he has spent only two days there. But he will be joined by his wife and daughter once the regular season starts.

"I told him, 'Just play the game and let me handle the media and the rest of that [stuff],'" Guillen said.

Edited by robinventura23

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Mar 25, 2005 -> 12:50 PM)
Does anyone honestly think Willie has a chance at the starting job? :lol: I'm not so sure he will even win a roster spot with the way Ozuna is playing.

Willie's in deep s***, imho.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Mar 25, 2005 -> 12:50 PM)
Does anyone honestly think Willie has a chance at the starting job? :lol: I'm not so sure he will even win a roster spot with the way Ozuna is playing.

Even with Ozuna there is still one more spot on the roster until Frank comes back, which will probably go to Willie, imo.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...ort=MLB&id=6459

Latest News  Mar. 25, 2005 - 7:56 am et

Pablo Ozuna continues to impress White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen.

Ozuna had a pinch-hit RBI single yesterday and is hitting .553 this spring. ''This kid is making a play to make the team,'' Guillen said. ''He impressed me the way he plays defensively and offensively. We put him in the outfield [Wednesday], and he has a great chance. We're going to see what we'll do with the pitching, but this kid has a good chance of making the team.'' In case you're wondering, ''this kid'' is actually 30 years old.

Source:  Chicago Sun-Times

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Mar 25, 2005 -> 12:56 PM)
Even with Ozuna there is still one more spot on the roster until Frank comes back, which will probably go to Willie, imo.

IMHO, it will probably comed down to a third catcher or another pitcher. They don't need yet another LH bat off the bench. I think it will come down to Burke, Widger or Adkins.

Edited by robinventura23

Wille represents the best speed off the bench. He might make it for that reason. The way they are using Burke tells me they are looking at him as both a 3rd C & corner IF. I think he makes it as well.

Sure bets: Timo, Gload, Ozuna

4 men 3 spots: Davis, Harris, Burke, Ozuna

If Davis is not traded then Harris (speed) vs Burke (contact)

Tough call. I'd go with the contact hitter.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Mar 25, 2005 -> 03:19 PM)
Wille represents the best speed off the bench.  He might make it for that reason.  The way they are using Burke tells me they are looking at him as both a 3rd C & corner IF.  I think he makes it as well.

Sure bets: Timo, Gload, Ozuna

4 men 3 spots: Davis, Harris, Burke, Ozuna

If Davis is not traded then Harris (speed) vs Burke (contact)

Tough call. I'd go with the contact hitter.

Good assessment Jug. I love the Friendly quote from Demolition Man too. :cheers

I do have to say I am concerned with Iguchi's limited range and some of the reads he makes on groundballs. I am hoping mostly it is an adjustment period and it will get better. Since it is ST this is the time to learn this for him. So far very impressive with his offense and his defense has been good if he can get to the ball but like I said has limited range. Take it FWIW though.

Iguchi is struggling a bit with balls hit to his right. He has mistimed a few dives and/or the ball ticks off his glove or goes under it.

Part of it is adjustment. His range to the left is not as good as Harris, but not a problem as best I can tell.

Harris meanwhile made one very nice play at SS today, and then two missed plays. One was a sinking liner he did the "ole" on. The other was a grounder he muffed. Nice bunt base hit today for Harris, I wonder if he was on display for Milwaukee personnel, paging Bruce Levine.

If it's assumed Ozuna has made the team (I won't believe it until it's official), then the last spot comes down to either a 12th pitcher, Harris, Widger, or Burke.

There's no way Ozuna doesn't make the roster.  Another team would scoop him up in a second.

Agree. His spring has been too good and somebody will want him.

I don't think they need 12 pitchers and further, none have been so impressive that they've earned a spot (McCarthy notwithstanding).

The 40 man stands at 39 currently. Bringing Ozuna on makes it 40.

If the last spot goes to Burke or Widger, someone gets dropped off the 40 man.

Agree.  His spring has been too good and somebody will want him.

I don't think they need 12 pitchers and further, none have been so impressive that they've earned a spot (McCarthy notwithstanding).

The 40 man stands at 39 currently.  Bringing Ozuna on makes it 40.

If the last spot goes to Burke or Widger, someone gets dropped off the 40 man.

Another reason a team would want Ozuna is because he can play so many positions -- 2B, SS, 3B, and the OF. He's even played CF in the past.

Edited by Jabroni