Illinois vs. Arizona Game Thread!

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Mar 25, 2005 -> 09:23 PM)
I find a willie harris fan giving any sort of opinion even funnier...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry I personally don't feel the need to be a big fan of superstars. Nor do I think Willie Harris is anything special, doesn't mean I can't like him.

But ya know, good point. :banghead

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 25, 2005 -> 09:24 PM)
It sure didn't sound like Wharris thought that... :bang

I don't know man, it'll be hard for 'zona to give as good of a performance as Fairleigh Dickinson, wherever that made up school is.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Mar 25, 2005 -> 10:25 PM)
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Sorry I personally don't feel the need to be a big fan of superstars.  Nor do I think Willie Harris is anything special, doesn't mean I can't like him.

But ya know, good point. :banghead

Would have been in green if I knew how to use it...

I've gotten enough teasing from Illini fans for my team choking, so I like to root against for the fun of it...

It'll be a good game. May the better-playing team win.

QUOTE(T R U @ Mar 25, 2005 -> 09:30 PM)
Im with willie, I think we will beat them handily..

I also like Willie Harris, just because you dont doesnt mean your cool for making a joke about it... real cool

don't know about that, the game will be decided in the final 5 minutes.

As long as Lute doesn't start lobbying the refs for fouls before breakfast, Illinois should win. For my wallet, they had better win! Last time they lost to AZ cost me a Lou Malnoti Chicago pack going out overnite to Tuscon. This time it is Carsons Ribs if Illinois loses. I want to keep the ribs for myself!

I-L-L[/color]

QUOTE(Nokona @ Mar 26, 2005 -> 11:10 AM)
I'm predicting Powell has 15+ pts tonight.  He's due to step his game up.

We match up very well with them, and if we can get into Salims head with solid D.. It should be a good night..

Keep in mind they had to win on a last second shot vs OSU... even after shooting 66%

Theres no way they shoot 66% again

Alright it's gameday. You feelin this? I sure do. I'm still trying to deal with the fact that this whole season, 30+ games, has come down to this: a one game season. What a reality we're facing today. It's unbelievable.

Some random thoughts on the game tonight:

Salim - He's gonna get his points. Have to try to contain him, not stop him. Can we hold him to 20ish? My guess is Luther will not be healthy enough to take him (at least for the whole game, that's for sure). We'll see Deron/Dee on him a lot tonight. Deron is the better defender, while Dee is quicker. We'll see how Bruce plays this one tonight. We have to stop him from catching and shooting as much as possible. If he's going to take a shot, make him create it, shoot it off balance, whatever. All i know is that Salim can't beat our team single handedly though. We're too good to get beat by one player.

Luther - He's going to play...'game time decision' i think not. How effective he is, we'll see. He was noticeably slower on defense Thursday and his elevation wasn't there (see the breakaway layup that got blocked from behind, etc). Hopefully he doesn't spend the whole day running around on Salim and can focus on getting open for some threes and contributing more in the motion offense.

Inside game - "Illinois doesn't have one"...well we'll see today. I think Frye is a damn good player, he can pound inside but also hit jump shots along the base line. It's going to be tough to stop him. I was also very impressed with Adams on Thursday. Augie and Powell have to come up big...and Powell HAS to stay out of foul trouble early.

However, we should be able to beat this team up on the boards. They are not a particularly strong rebounding team. Those 2 guys have to have big rebounding days. I think we have to win the rebounding margin, or we're in a bit of trouble.

Dee - Hopefully this is the game that defines his career, especially with Luther hurt. We all know Deron will do his thing, but we need Dee to shoot again and make plays in transition, etc. I'm looking at Dee more than any other player in this game for us.

Bench - It would help if we got some scoring from the bench today, as we had zero points thursday. Jack should have a better game. We also might see more of McBride today, hopefully he can keep his intensity on defense and hit a few threes if he gets the open look. Zona doesn't have much of a bench either, so i'm not too worried about the benches unless foul trouble comes into play. But it would be nice if they contributed SOMETHING besides fouls.

Other than that...what more can I say about this game? It's really a one-game season, a game that will forever define this season in my memory. Scary when you think about it. It's put up or shut up time. I'm confident in our guys, sure as hell not cocky, and am nervous as hell. We are playing a good basketball team, no doubt about it. In the end, i think if we play Illini basketball for 40 minutes, i'll be pleased with the results.

Leaving around 3:45. Can't wait to soak up this atmosphere and game. It's going to be really something. Probably the most important game of my life to this point.

I love this team, i love my school.

Let's do this.