Religous Stuff

cwsox

i think religion is a good guide for life. i think all the major (credible) religions have the same basic ideas; compassion, responsibility, perseverance. i think regardless of whether you think a big man in the sky made heaven and hell and everything inbetween, or you think humans are just another link in the evolutionary chain with a superiority complex and an inclination to believe in magic a little too often, you can't refute the ideas of religion. yes, religion has created a lot of bad (when its own followers begin to ignore some major ideas), but it has also done a lot of good. it has served as a moral basis in many societies.

some of the best literature i've ever come across includes not only the bible, but also works of islam, confucianism and taoism, among others.

also re: the free will defense, it works until you consider natural evil like earthquakes and hurricanes that destroy and take lives. ahunno, i don't pretend to understand either.

i think religion is a good guide for life. i think all the major (credible) religions have the same basic ideas; compassion, responsibility, perseverance. i think regardless of whether you think a big man in the sky made heaven and hell and everything inbetween, or you think humans are just another link in the evolutionary chain with a superiority complex and an inclination to believe in magic a little too often, you can't refute the ideas of religion. yes, religion has created a lot of bad (when its own followers begin to ignore some major ideas), but it has also done a lot of good. it has served as a moral basis in many societies.

some of the best literature i've ever come across includes not only the bible, but also works of islam, confucianism and taoism, among others.

also re: the free will defense, it works until you consider natural evil like earthquakes and hurricanes that destroy and take lives. ahunno, i don't pretend to understand either.

Spiff, I found much in tao that relates to, adds to, enhances Judeo/Christian thought - in that they are middle eastern religions in origin may somehow show some connections - but I see taoism as not antithetical to Scriptural faith what a wonderful consort -

whatever you would wanmt to say about tao I would love to read -

and I am not alone in interest in taoism; there are entire Christian meditative communties that operate in taoist principles and insights

I have operated my faith wioth some reliance on the tao since the late 60s when I first encountered it in Frances Fitzgerald's Fire on the Lake.

And as far as zen might so - again, many places of congreunce where I would ove to learn more.

for natural diasters - earthquakes, forest fires, all those things have their replace as the natural consequence of the nature of the planet - they are destructive only when humans inhabit those places where these things happen. But they are part of the renewal and reshaping of the earth and just a part of natural process, which as in physical life, means changes and ultimaye destinations of death. Without earthquakes, with volcanoes, the world as we know know wouldn't be - without an ice age what the earth would be like is unimanigable - our lakes, rivers, moutains, all because if such natural things.

What is scary is people f***ing up the world by havoc on the ecology- global warming may drastically alter the world of our children and grandchildren. A raise of a few degrees of temperature can wipe out the bread basket in the US and create major problems with food production, and these effects may be felt as soon as 2050. My grandson will be 55 then and he and his family will suffer from our refusal to take seriously the destruction of the ozone.

And when this happens, as always, the problem causers will be: people.

Spiff, I found much in tao that relates to, adds to, enhances Judeo/Christian thought - in that they are middle eastern religions in origin may somehow show some connections - but I see taoism as not antithetical to Scriptural faith what a wonderful consort -

and I am not alone in interest in taoism; there are entire Christian meditative communties that operate in taoist principles and insights

I have operated my faith wioth some reliance on the tao since the late 60s when I first encountered it in Frances Fitzgerald's Fire on the Lake.

And as far as zen might so - again, many places of congreunce where  I would ove to learn more.

for natural diasters - earthquakes, forest fires, all those things have their replace as the natural consequence of the nature of the planet - they are destructive only when humans inhabit those places where these things happen.  But they are part of the renewal and reshaping of the earth and just a part of natural process, which as in physical life, means changes and ultimaye destinations of death.  Without earthquakes, with volcanoes, the world as we know know wouldn't be - without an ice age what the earth would be like is unimanigable - our lakes, rivers, moutains, all because if such natural things.

What is scary is people f***ing up the world by havoc on the ecology- global warming may drastically alter the world of our children and grandchildren.  A raise of a few degrees of temperature can wipe out the gread basket in the US and ctreate major problems with fod production, and these effects may be felts as soon as 2050.  My grandson will be 55 then and he and his family will suffer from our refusal to take seriosuly rthe destruction of the ozone. 

well i am no expert on religion either. when i first read some tao, it frustrated me because i thought it was such a pessimistic view. everything balances, no peaks no valleys, no beginnings or endings. but it doesn't really bother me anymore, it puts things in perspective (as much as i hate that phrase). you realize your place in the universe.

i have not learned a whole lot about zen, but what i have learned, i love. i love how it preaches simplicity and focus. it's fascinating. if i had to choose a religion today, here and now, i might go zen buddhist.

And as far as zen might so - again, many places of congreunce where I would ove to learn more.

for natural diasters - earthquakes, forest fires, all those things have their replace as the natural consequence of the nature of the planet - they are destructive only when humans inhabit those places where these things happen. But they are part of the renewal and reshaping of the earth and just a part of natural process, which as in physical life, means changes and ultimaye destinations of death. Without earthquakes, with volcanoes, the world as we know know wouldn't be - without an ice age what the earth would be like is unimanigable - our lakes, rivers, moutains, all because if such natural things.

What is scary is people f***ing up the world by havoc on the ecology- global warming may drastically alter the world of our children and grandchildren. A raise of a few degrees of temperature can wipe out the gread basket in the US and ctreate major problems with fod production, and these effects may be felts as soon as 2050. My grandson will be 55 then and he and his family will suffer from our refusal to take seriosuly rthe destruction of the ozone.

if what i read is correct over the last 100 years the earth's average tempature has gone up less than 2 degrees....in that time the earth's populatiion has what , more than doubled???..i find less than 2 degrees increase amazingly stable...just out of randomness i would the difference either way would be more than that...just one really cold winter or one really hot summer world wide could skew the average a degree or two...

i dont know , so many people to me have such a doom and gloom outlook for the future..i find this an amazingly wonderful time to be on this earth....look at the difference in advances the world has made from 1800 - 1900 as opposed to 1900 -2000...its incredible to me how much we have advanced in those 100 years..figure the good lord willing i got 40-50 years left...i look forward to what lies ahead...

Average temperature is a misleading fact because the Earth is an extremely large body that heats up faster in some regions that others... I forget the exact number of years mentioned in a documentary on the subject, but in the last 50 or 100 years or so, the average temperature at the planet's polar regions has gone up 5 degrees. At that rate, we're well on our way to devastating the environment.

But what are you reading that says the Earth's temperature has gone up 2 degrees in the last 100 years? That's an awfully drastic change for such a short period of time.

What is scary is people f***ing up the world by havoc on the ecology- global warming may drastically alter the world of our children and grandchildren. A raise of a few degrees of temperature can wipe out the gread basket in the US and ctreate major problems with fod production, and these effects may be felts as soon as 2050. My grandson will be 55 then and he and his family will suffer from our refusal to take seriosuly rthe destruction of the ozone.

if what i read is correct over the last 100 years the earth's average tempature has gone up less than 2 degrees....in that time the earth's populatiion has what , more than doubled???..i find less than 2 degrees increase amazingly stable...just out of randomness i would the difference either way would be more than that...just one really cold winter or one really hot summer world wide could skew the average a degree or two...

i dont know , so many people to me have such a doom and gloom outlook for the future..i find this an amazingly wonderful time to be on this earth....look at the difference in advances the world has made from 1800 - 1900 as opposed to 1900 -2000...its incredible to me how much we have advanced in those 100 years..figure the good lord willing i got 40-50 years left...i look forward to what lies ahead...

i agree with you bags this.

Deion, will be one of those upset athletes.

Signs is a great movie that just came out on video that deals with religion, I am sure some of you already saw it in the theaters. I loved it, it dealt with religion, and was scary to watch(when its over though it isn't scary, so you feel like a fool for getting scared watching it). At one of the scariest parts, in a miniclimax when the music is speeding up and I was about to jump out of my seat, some guy in the audience yelled out 'hell, No!' that made it funny instead of exilerating. I recommend watching it

Signs sucked balls, it was boring. The one problem I have with religion is that most American's havecreated God in their own image. Too many Americans think that God is an American. When the football played gives God credit for scoring the touchdown, like God give a s*** about the touchdown, every one knows God's a hockey fan anyways. But seriously whatever God is he/she isn't an American, or for that matter Iraqi.