Vilanova VS UNC game thread

Good question Willie, its been an especially terrible year in the ACC for officiating. They have no accountability in games, so they can blow calls and move on with their life. Meanwhile if a coach or player makes comments on the blown call, they can be suspended.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Mar 25, 2005 -> 11:35 PM)
No chance

They slowed it down and there 3rd step was completely imaginary, he took 2 then hung and shot, but whatever

I found it hilarious CBS announcers viewed the supposed travel in slow motion and asked the viewers to count along with them.

"1.....2...(quickly) 3...He traveled! Good call."

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Mar 25, 2005 -> 11:38 PM)
I was suprised that the travel was called because the refs let a lot of could be charges on McCants go towards the end of the game. Why not be lenient both ways? I would be pissed as hell if I had picked 'Nova, they got screwed.

thats what i was thinking they did miss alot of other calls y not let that slide

I thought the refs were pretty bad as a whole. I didn't see a travel or a foul on that last play. Some of the other ones were pretty iffy too. I remember one play that resulted in either a jumpball or a turnover where a Villanova player got almost nothing but arm on a UNC player under the basket. Some of the other fouls outside on UNC were BS, there were a bunch of ticky tack fouls. I never even saw Felton's 5th, he had the ball, lost it for a second, got it back, and all of the sudden he's out of the game. There was definitely some weird calls inside on both sides too. I hope this stuff gets better once they get to the final four, it seems like there are numerous iffy calls in every game I've watched.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Mar 25, 2005 -> 11:40 PM)
Hardly, the main reason Nova got back into the game was because of the refs, lots of phantom calls, including a few And 1's that were completely BS. It was all around a bad bad day for officials in the game, its just unfortunate other fans will only get to see that crappy call.

Congrats Palehose you won our bet :crying :cheers . The officiating was absolutely brutal both ways tonight, however you can not make that travel call at the end of the game, just awful. Anyways, the thing that makes me angry is if Nova had sumpter they walk away this game imo. All I'm going to say is today absolutely sucked and I'm happy I'm leaving for Tucson and I can completely get my mind off college basketball.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Mar 26, 2005 -> 01:16 AM)
Congrats Palehose you won our bet :crying  :cheers .  The officiating was absolutely brutal both ways tonight, however you can not make that travel call at the end of the game, just awful.  Anyways, the thing that makes me angry is if Nova had sumpter they walk away this game imo.  All I'm going to say is today absolutely sucked and I'm happy I'm leaving for Tucson and I can completely get my mind off college basketball.

I don't really think Villanova would have done any better with Sumpter. He would have forced Lowry out of the starting lineup, he's the one that got most of the minutes left by Sumpter's abscence. They would not have even been close without Lowry's contributions. He had 18 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists, two steals, and only one turnover, and was crucial in putting some pressure on Carolina's backcourt. Plus I doubt Foye would have been jacking up quite so many shots with Sumpter in there. They put up a good fight and really slowed down UNC for the first half and during spurts in the second. However, I wouldn't depend on UNC looking this bad again. Felton is not likely to get into serious foul trouble like that again, he only averages 1.8 fouls per game. They also didn't force as many turnovers as they normally do (Nova's 4 guards probably helped that due to more decent ballhandlers).