NO Sox Coverage

Winnin Ugly

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Mar 26, 2005 -> 12:33 PM)
:huh: He's right though.  Since Kenny has been the gm the sox are always the ones who make the big splash, I don't understand what you're getting at here.

haha then I guess you wont understand... its pretty damn clear

and what exactly is "Big Splash".. having Colon for a year? Wells for part of a year? Acquiring Everett twice in consecutive seasons?

This isnt about KW, you guys brought that up yourself.. Im talking about payroll..

Edited by T R U

QUOTE(T R U @ Mar 26, 2005 -> 12:35 PM)
haha then I guess you wont understand... its pretty damn clear

Ok, I understand your point but I meant that Kenny is known for making the big move and the big splash, I just don't understand how you can say that's why the sox don't get media attention.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Mar 26, 2005 -> 12:39 PM)
Ok, I understand your point but I meant that Kenny is known for making the big move and the big splash, I just don't understand how you can say that's why the sox don't get media attention.

what I was basically saying is if we can raise the payroll, then we would be able to raise attendance, which would get us more media coverage..

I like KW, this isnt about him being the GM

There's no one cause for the Cubs/Sox situation, so there's no one solution.

Some causes for the Sox being less popular include, but are not limited to:

the new ballpark

the 94 World Series being squashed, and JR being a prime figurehead in it

Sox being the first to go to pay TV

the neighborhood

the White Flag trade

WGN helping to create a national audience for the Cubs for decades

Increasing payroll is not going to solve this by itself. I'm not even sure it would make a dent. Look at Magglio, for example - the entire time he was here, he was an All-Star calibre player and was ignored. As soon as the Sox decide not to pay him, they're labeled as letting a perennial All-Star leave, despite the knee injury and the reluctance of his agent to disclose everyhting or have Magglio inspected.

There are preconceptions about the White Sox that are now kind of deeply ingrained.

If the Cubs had acquired Colon, Wells, Everett, Alomar, Belle, etc. it would have been seen as HUGE moves by a team serious about making the playoffs.

It's just the way things are, and the ONLY way for this to change is for the Sox to win A LOT and win consistently. Acquiring marquee players could help in this, but it's not the "be all, end all" and it SURE doesn't guarantee success - ask Texas, the Mets or the Orioles about that.

QUOTE(T R U @ Mar 26, 2005 -> 10:47 AM)
but people arent just going to magically come to the park, you raise the payroll for a better product and more people will come..

This is true, or you hire a guy that knows how to market a team, (Brooks Boyer) In my opinion, Brooks has done a phenomenal job since taking over for Gallas. Numbers have increased, and more promotions have been introduced to spark the interest of Chicagoland families. Not to mention the fact that he knows how to make great commercials, (Them vs Us) etc. etc.

CWSOX45

QUOTE(The Critic @ Mar 26, 2005 -> 01:06 PM)
There's no one cause for the Cubs/Sox situation, so there's no one solution.

Some causes for the Sox being less popular include, but are not limited to:

the new ballpark

the 94 World Series being squashed, and JR being a prime figurehead in it

Sox being the first to go to pay TV

the neighborhood

the White Flag trade

WGN helping to create a national audience for the Cubs for decades

Increasing payroll is not going to solve this by itself. I'm not even sure it would make a dent. Look at Magglio, for example - the entire time he was here, he was an All-Star calibre player and was ignored. As soon as the Sox decide not to pay him, they're labeled as letting a perennial All-Star leave, despite the knee injury and the reluctance of his agent to disclose everyhting or have Magglio inspected.

There are preconceptions about the White Sox that are now kind of deeply ingrained.

If the Cubs had acquired Colon, Wells, Everett, Alomar, Belle, etc. it would have been seen as HUGE moves by a team serious about making the playoffs.

It's just the way things are, and the ONLY way for this to change is for the Sox to win A LOT and win consistently. Acquiring marquee players could help in this, but it's not the "be all, end all" and it SURE doesn't guarantee success - ask Texas, the Mets or the Orioles about that.

Very well described. All of those are factors.

QUOTE(T R U @ Mar 26, 2005 -> 12:41 PM)
what I was basically saying is if we can raise the payroll, then we would be able to raise attendance, which would get us more media coverage..

I think KW is doing awesome with the resources he is provided.

QUOTE(T R U @ Mar 26, 2005 -> 01:41 PM)

Worked for the mets the past few years...

How about spending wisely and winning? I don't believe the raise payroll=more attendance equation.

Seems like your idea of a big splash is getting beltran or a-rod...I'm quite satisfied with getting Garcia...

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Mar 26, 2005 -> 02:31 PM)
Worked for the mets the past few years...

How about spending wisely and winning?  I don't believe the raise payroll=more attendance equation.

Seems like your idea of a big splash is getting beltran or a-rod...I'm quite satisfied with getting Garcia...

sweet, you must be satisfied with 2nd place too..

How come everyone has the same lame excuse "Well it works for ther Mets" take a look at the Yankees, or the Red Sox, or the Angels... not just a team that has a high payroll but cant get it done..

BTW, they have spent money terrible... Beltran and Pedro are the best big signings they have made in a while

Edited by T R U

QUOTE(The Critic @ Mar 26, 2005 -> 01:06 PM)

even when Magglio was here the payroll was still in the high 70's

If we had a $95 payroll we could have Maggs, Colon, and prolly a few other solid players plugged into this team..

I find it funny how the SECOND post in this thread was a very good reason for there not being any coverage, the beat writer is out battling cancer. So the paper seemingly has chosen to keep his spot open for him and are using the AP stories. It is only Spring Training afterall.

But then we are treated to 3 full pages of the same old tired debate.

Here's to hoping the beat writer gets well and gets rid of that damned cancer!!!

QUOTE(T R U @ Mar 27, 2005 -> 10:33 AM)
even when Magglio was here the payroll was still in the high 70's

If we had a $95 payroll we could have Maggs, Colon, and prolly a few other solid players plugged into this team..

But would you pay Colon and Ordonez the deals that they are on now?

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Mar 26, 2005 -> 08:56 PM)
I find it funny how the SECOND post in this thread was a very good reason for there not being any coverage, the beat writer is out battling cancer. So the paper seemingly has chosen to keep his spot open for him and are using the AP stories. It is only Spring Training afterall.

But then we are treated to 3 full pages of the same old tired debate.

Here's to hoping the beat writer gets well and gets rid of that damned cancer!!!

Thanks, Kid. I was beginning to think I was invisible or something.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Mar 26, 2005 -> 04:56 PM)
Actually it should be their 67% to out 33%. ;)

I fear for our education system, but just to clerify this flawed logic 3 mil + 2 mil is a total of 5 mil. Thus 3 mil of 5mil(3/5)= 60% and 2 mil of 5 mil(2/5) = 40% so even going with the flawed logic, coverage should be a 60/40 split.

Cowley has cancer and must've had some relapse as he was there in Feb, the question I have is why haven't they given some intern a shot at doing the coverage?

QUOTE(upnorthsox @ Mar 27, 2005 -> 07:53 AM)
I fear for our education system, but just to clerify this flawed logic 3 mil + 2 mil is a total of 5 mil. Thus 3 mil of 5mil(3/5)= 60% and 2 mil of 5 mil(2/5) = 40% so even going with the flawed logic, coverage should be a 60/40 split.

Cowley has cancer and must've had some relapse as he was there in Feb, the question I have is why haven't they given some intern a shot at doing the coverage?

Maybe out of respect to Cowley? It is, as I said, only Spring Training. I would bet that if he still hasn't returned to the fold once the games actually matter, you might see a new writer step in. At that time people will want a local voice, but right now all most people really need are the facts. The "die-hards" are all here and on the official site and the other Sox sites, and the paper could very well understand this.