SF interested in Borchard?

beck72

I didn't see this anywhere, but Bob Nightengale had this in the print "the Buzz" section:

"The Giants have shown interest in W.S. OF Joe Borchard"

Makes some sense to get some power w/ Bonds out. The Sox won't give Joe away, esp with his decent spring. Yet I'd like to see a high prospect that could play SS, 3b or 2b in a trade--someone who could step in should Crede or Uribe go down. I don't think the Giants are deep pitching wise, or I'd say try to get a Starting pitching prospect who could start in AAA.

The Giants don't seem to have IFers who could help. Yet they do have a SP prospect who could start in AAA who's almost ready--23 yr old LHP Pat Misch. I noticed he also was born in Northbrook, IL. Here are his stats:

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/pat_misch.shtml

I like his control [55 bb to 184 k's in 245 IP] and has shown he can go more than 6 IP/ start [40 GS and 245 IP].

He was SF's #21 prospect in 2004 from BA and his write up sounds like he's a Mark Buehrle clone. BA also said he had the best control and change up this yr in their org. A guy like Tisch might be available as SF has studs like Matt Cain and Merkin Valdez almost ready for the rotation. He's not flashy, but seems to get the job done by getting more out of his talent. The kind of guy some organization's look past and don't always appreciate.

Joe certainly still has an opportunity to have some good major league seasons in his future. Although with the Sox, very deep with outfielders now and in the future, probably don't need Borchard. I like the guy, but it probably makes sense for both parties to explore other options. That is to say if we get quality return, which doesn't necessarily mean blockbuster. Rather something the Sox could value down the line.

The Giants don't seem to have IFers who could help. Yet they do have a SP prospect who could start in AAA who's almost ready--23 yr old LHP Pat Misch. I noticed he also was born in Northbrook, IL. Here are his stats:

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/pat_misch.shtml

I like his control [55 bb to 184 k's in 245 IP] and has shown he can go more than 6 IP/ start [40 GS and 245 IP].

He was SF's #21 prospect in 2004 from BA and his write up sounds like he's a Mark Buehrle clone. BA also said he had the best control and change up this yr in their org. A guy like Tisch might be available as SF has studs like Matt Cain and Merkin Valdez almost ready for the rotation. He's not flashy, but seems to get the job done by getting more out of his talent. The kind of guy some organization's look past and don't always appreciate.

I concur. Great control when you compare it to Garland, Contreras, Cotts, & Adkins.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Mar 27, 2005 -> 01:05 PM)
How bout Jason Schmidt?

I know you put that in green, but if Bonds is indeed out for the season, San Fran could be a in world of trouble. Especially if a couple more of those 40somethings breakdown, Jason Schmidt getting traded at the ASB could be reality.

All I'm asking for is equal value. I know Joe has fallen out of favor with many of you, but the guy has talent. It's there. When you have power from both sides of the plate, you are valuable to a big league roster. Don't think for one second Joe isn't trying his damnedest to become the type of player we were all hoping for, but I just don't think his future is on the Southside.

A trade to San Fran makes sense to me. Obtaining a good minor leauge arm also makes sense. Who knows, Joe and Willie may be gone by next Monday.

Something's coming.

All I'm asking for is equal value.  I know Joe has fallen out of favor with many of you, but the guy has talent.  It's there.  When you have power from both sides of the plate, you are valuable to a big league roster.  Don't think for one second Joe isn't trying his damnedest to become the type of player we were all hoping for, but I just don't think his future is on the Southside.

A trade to San Fran makes sense to me.  Obtaining a good minor leauge arm also makes sense.  Who knows, Joe and Willie may be gone by next Monday.

Something's coming.

I don't really understand you. You bash Willie Harris (and rightfully so) but then think he has good trade value? You can't have it both ways. If a player sucks, his trade value is low.

All I'm asking for is equal value.  I know Joe has fallen out of favor with many of you, but the guy has talent.  It's there.  When you have power from both sides of the plate, you are valuable to a big league roster.  Don't think for one second Joe isn't trying his damnedest to become the type of player we were all hoping for, but I just don't think his future is on the Southside.

A trade to San Fran makes sense to me.  Obtaining a good minor leauge arm also makes sense.  Who knows, Joe and Willie may be gone by next Monday.

Something's coming.

Agree that something is coming.

Also agree that Borchard will have some trade value, but probably not as much as Sox fans would like.

I also believe Harris will be traded if he doesn't make the team, even though he has a minor league option left.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Mar 27, 2005 -> 02:20 PM)
I don't really understand you.  You bash Willie Harris (and rightfully so) but then think he has good trade value?  You can't have it both ways.  If a player sucks, his trade value is low.

Oh boy. :headshake

Just because you don't like a player doesn't mean he "sucks." That's insanity.

Harris--> Rangey, speedy second-baseman with a nice .obp. To the impartial observer, Harris looks like a serviceable, young two-bagger that is a threat on the base paths. But, after haveing watched Willie for a couple of years now, he has fallen out of my favor (it also appears he has fallen out of favor with some in the organization). I dislike his inability to hit lefties, utilize his speed with steal totals, his noodle arm, and most importantly, his attitude. Now, what right do I have to deny him trade value? You have to be kidding me. Willie can start on more than a few clubs in the MLB right now. He's young, he's "promising," and he's cheap. That means, HE HAS VALUE. "If a player sucks, his trade value is low." :puke

Borchard--> High draft selection, believed to be an MVP callibur player in the MLB. With the type of power he possess from both sides of the plate, Joe is a risk worth taking. He's also shaping up to be a change of scenary guy. It looks like Joe isn't going to get a chance here, but he could help a lot of clubs elsewhere. Joe is a nice guy with a very impressive work ethic. Who know, maybe he can achieve All-star status somewhere else, he probably won't, but there's a shot. HE HAS VALUE. HE HAS POWER-NUMBERS VALUE. HE HAS SWITCH-HITTING VALUE.

Once again, "if a player sucks, his trade value is down." :puke

Koch=Sucks----->Borchard & Willie>>>>>>>Billy Koch and his mother.

Don't be in such a rush to dump someone like Joe Borchard or even Willie Harris. Borchard still has a lot of upside to him and trading him for a reserve infielder, when we already have two or three that seem to be doing well, is a rip off. Even with Sweeney and Anderson waiting in the wings, but maybe a year or two out, I can see Joe Borchard as a solid #4 OF'er with Rowand as the CF'er. Everett will be here 1 or 2 years more, Dye the same and even if they stay we might need someone to replace Frank Thomas. I fear the Big Hurt will be the next big Sox star to be unceramoniously sent packing. Willie is a battler and I just don't see the IF help at the minor league level to replace him.

Edited by elrockinMT

I think teams can care less if he has power from both sides of the plate if he can't hit above .200... But hopefully the Giants can find a spot for him, it'd be nice to get a Jerry Owens-like player (not necessarily an OF'er, just a raw kid with potential) out of a deal like that.

Who do the Giants have backing up Ray Durham at second base at the moment? Because you know he'll probably get injured sometime this season, and they could use a quality backup like Harris if they don't have one already. I like the idea of going after some of the Giants' young arms, Sox should definitely be looking into it.

DBAHO, I definitely like the idea about Harris, but would Sabean actually trade for not one, but two guys under 30 years of age? :lol:

Anyways, a couple days ago my brother showed me an issue of Baseball America, and that issue had their Top 100 Prospect list. They have two Giant prospects on the list, the afformentioned Valdez and an outfielder named Fred Lewis.

Valdez -- I assume they wouldn't give up their top prospect, and Lewis is an outfielder, an area where we are pretty stacked in -- plus, he's a free-swinger, strikes out a ton, doesn't walk a whole lot.

Just wanted to bring that up for reference...

Here is the write up from BA on LHP Pat Misch:

"He's a lefthander who pounds the strike zone and pitches inside aggressively with average stuff, and his approach works much better against wood bats. He was a strikeout pitcher at Western Michigan, setting single game [19] season [99] and career [265] school records for whiffs, but pitches more like Kirk Rueter. Misch throws an 86-89 mph fastball for strikes and moves it all over the zone. He also throws a slider, curveball and changeup. None stands out consistently, though he gets strikeouts with his breaking pitches."

I think the key with trading Joe B [who may break out in a big way and make the sox look like fools for "giving up" on him---I think he'll be OK but isn't a good fit for the team they want to build] is to get a player who has a very good shot at playing in the majors, someone who could at minimum be a productive major league player. Tisch sounds like a guy with an upside in the Mark Buerhle/ Brandon McCarthy mold, who could pitch in the bullpen if he didn't make it as a SP. Both were written up in similar ways by scouts, who have been able to get more out of their ability than most. Misch may be that kind of guy. All he gets is results.

Looking at spring training stats, Tisch only got 1 inning in this yr. Shows he isn't up on the list of SP options for SF.

Edited by beck72

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Mar 27, 2005 -> 07:51 PM)

Something's coming.

The Sox brass has been far more supportive of Joe than us fans, which should say a lot for how much they think of him. Yet getting a player who can be productive at the major league level is what I'm asking for in a trade of Joe. The key thing is providing depth for the Sox major league club. With the Sox set in the OF [Everett, Anderson and Sweeney all ahead of Joe this year], getting high minor league depth elsewhere is important. If not at SP, then at SS, 3b, or C.

Misch seems like a guy SF wouldn't use this yr, as they have Valdez and Cain who'd pitch ahead of him this year. Borchard is a guy who'd help SF this yr.

Edited by beck72