What Has Spring Training Showed You?

Texsox

Spring training is almost over and we start counting them for real. Is spring training making you feel better or worse?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Spring training is almost over and we start counting them for real. Is spring training making you feel better or worse?

• Better. The off season moves worked
    • Worse. Stepped backwards.
    • Neutral. Exchanged one slightly above .500 team for another.
    • No clue, Frank's still out, Mark's recovering a bit, guys are still learning each other's name.

I think the defense seems overrated, the pitching looks problematic, and they seem like they may have problems scoring runs. Of course they really haven't played their everyday line-up consistently, and the Arizona air will play with pitchers. I have always felt this team is not as good as it was the last couple of years. There are too many question marks. I think everyone except Buerhle and maybe AJ is a question mark, and Buerhle was one for a couple of hours last week. The "switch" to speed from power is a misnomer. Iguchi will steal more than Willie but Willie is faster. Podsednik is the only other speed guy added who will play regularly. Hawk keeps harping on now the Sox will have a better chance beating good pitchers, because good pitchers don't give up 2 or 3 run homers, and that is what the Sox have been counting on. I don't buy it. I think Lee and Ordonez hit more singles and doubles than Podsednik and Dye and are far superior overall offensive players even taking away their homeruns. AJ, to me, is the only sure non pitching upgrade KW came up with this winter, although Iguchi is probably an upgrade, the jury is still out, and the team lost a lot of offense. Almost everyone of the pitchers has been absolutely awful or seriously injured at one point the last couple of years. A lot has to go right for this team to win, its possible it happens, but I'm not setting my heart on it. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see this team making much of a run this year.

Edited by Dick Allen

ST has shown me absolutely nothing. Almost all of the players in our ST don't give a rats ass what their numbers or results look like. Only Willie, Borchard, Iguchi, Ozuna and a few others woul probably even care.

It doesn't matter what the starting staffs numbers look like. They don't care. Same goes with the bullpen.

Actually im a little scared. Our "solid" rotation is looking scary, and our defense is questionable. I am hoping for a midseason trade that will send Contreras some where else because I dont think he will ever be ok here.

I am confident in our offense as they have put up good run production this spring. If our pitchers can give us some decent outings we can have a good season. :gosox1:

I'm scared.

Contreras will give me an ulcer before the end of the year with the way he pitches. I don't give a flying f*** if he's in the desert, thats still no excuse for all these runs. I'm also a little nervous about Hernandez, but he pitches every 5th day, so I'm fine with that.

Buehrle's injury has slowed his progress, so he really won't have time to tune up b4 the season.

Thomas...man, I like what I see from Everett.

And Burke...he'll be in AAA, though I'd release that piece of s*** Davis in a millisecond.

I would also have to say that I'm not impressed with Politte. I think its garbage that Kenny thinks he can get it done with his 95 mph pitches. Its not always about speed, but with the types of pitches, and pin point accuracy.

Honestly though, you really learn little from Spring Training. Just look at the records of some of the teams. Spring Training, for the veterans at least, is all about working on specific things. I think some of us are a little more concerned than other fans because we've gotten to watch basically all of Spring Training.

Are there things to be concerned about? Of course. But basically every other team is going through the same thing. I'll let the first month of the season go by until I can make a true assessment of this team.

I'll admit though, I sure haven't liked what I've seen the past 4 games.

Here's some Spring Training records...

Team            W    L    Pct

NY Yankees  11  12  .478

Minnesota  11  12  .478

Atlanta      10  11  .476

LA Dodgers    9  11  .450

Boston        8  13 .381

Florida        8  16 .333

'Nuff said.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Mar 27, 2005 -> 11:16 PM)
Honestly though, you really learn little from Spring Training.  Just look at the records of some of the teams.  Spring Training, for the veterans at least, is all about working on specific things.  I think some of us are a little more concerned than other fans because we've gotten to watch basically all of Spring Training.

Are there things to be concerned about?  Of course.  But basically every other team is going through the same thing.  I'll let the first month of the season go by until I can make a true assessment of this team.

I'll admit though, I sure haven't liked what I've seen the past 4 games.

I think starting out good is the key to success, season after season I have seen the sox start off not so good then coming up and coming back down. I think if they set the standards high from the beginning none of that "we'll get better" s*** and get the job done, they can do some damage. No season highs or downs just consistent is enough.

Well, as in previous years, I am optimistic. My point about Spring Training is that rarely does it indicate what happens in the season, especially in the weird conditions of Arizona.

Yes, we could end up looking as bad as we have this spring. But I don't let spring performances dictate my feeling towards the upcoming season. This year, with vitually every game being televised, it's been a little harder to keep it in perspective.

Really, I'm just excited for the games to start counting. I'm quite sick of exhibition play.

As far as Pablo Ozuna goes, I think there should be a holiday dedicated to him.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Mar 27, 2005 -> 11:43 PM)
Here's some Spring Training records...

'Nuff said.

Good post. Especially when you look at how much time our starters have logged in B games, and how many guys we keep bringing over from the minor league complex every game to play the last 2,3,4 innings of each game. If they really wanted to put up spring wins, they wouldn't be playing guys like (RP) Josh Fields, and Tony Alvarez etc, with a week to go.

I am concerned a little with the defense. I know the "High Sky" and winds play hell on the players so it might be nothing of nothing. However, I have seen some really bad defense from the infield as well. Throwing errors, fielding errors and what not. Hopefully they get that all out down there and play solid once the season starts.

The fundamentals still concern me. The things you should be able to control and put yourself in a position to win everyday such as base running and defense.

The pitching will undoubtedly be better. no matter how much Contreas might suck, he won't have the 9+ ERA our fifth starter had last year. If he is our worst pitcher it's still an improvement over last year. Now, will that be enough of an improvement to catch the Twins? So far, it doesn't look good. But, maybe they'll sort it out when the bell rings and the games count.