What Has Spring Training Showed You?

Texsox

Spring training is almost over and we start counting them for real. Is spring training making you feel better or worse?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Spring training is almost over and we start counting them for real. Is spring training making you feel better or worse?

• Better. The off season moves worked
    • Worse. Stepped backwards.
    • Neutral. Exchanged one slightly above .500 team for another.
    • No clue, Frank's still out, Mark's recovering a bit, guys are still learning each other's name.

Home stretch of spring training and I see a team that can compete in the Central. I was pleased to see some depth in starting pitching. The only spot I look up and see a solid upgrade at is catcher and possibly Crede and Rowland maturing one more year. We took from the outfield and gave to pitching. The concept was good.

I also believe we upgraded in Managers since last year. :gosox1:

I put neutral, but we have some question marks.

1. We have no clue how are lineup is going to do because half of them weren't even on the team last year.

2. Our fielding is way overrated. I like the left side of our IF, but podsednik's arm is pretty weak (even though he's playing LF and it doesn't matter), Tad Iguchi is preety bad out there, and Pierzynski doesn't know how to call a game.

3. I know it's just Spring Training and I know it's Arizona, but so far there has been nothing to show me that this pitching staff will even be average. Buehrle will be fine, but after that:

2) Garcia struggled in Chicago (4.46 ERA)

3) Contreras has been a bum his whole carrer and has done nothing this Spring to convince me otherwise. (7.10 ERA)

4) If Hernandez is even healthy, will he be effective. Forget that, lets just focus on him being healthy, which he hasn't been able to do in years. ( Has made 30 starts, once in 6 years.)

5) You know what your gonna get out of Garland now, you just don't like it. He should be capable of being a solid #3 starter, but he's not. Now he's settled for being an above average 5th starter. Expect around a 4.6- 4.9 ERA.

Pierzynski doesn't know how to call a game.

What are you basing this on? Look at his CERA the past 4 yrs I find this hard to believe.

If there is a hope for our staff it's that AJP is not going to put up with the crap that Davis & Burke have the past few years. The ChiSox I think more so than any other team in the ALC has had a bunch of premadonas on the mound that still think they know what's best while racking up one of the worst starters eras in the league.

In AJ I trust.

I am more concerned with Iggy's D at 2B. This might be why Harris makes the 25 man roster & why Ozuna we'll be sent down when Thomas returns. His skills might have been solid on turf but they don't look so hot on grass. I'm not sure if the IF is real dirt or simply dirt on turf there. That's going to make a difference as well.

It's very unlikely the ChiSox will lose the ball in the Sun at the Cell. The orientation of the park should help them out greatly there.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Mar 28, 2005 -> 07:09 PM)
What are you basing this on?  Look at his CERA the past 4 yrs I find this hard to believe.

If there is a hope for our staff it's that AJP is not going to put up with the crap that Davis & Burke have the past few years.  The ChiSox I think more so than any other team in the ALC has had a bunch of premadonas on the mound that still think they know what's best while racking up one of the worst starters eras in the league.

In AJ I trust.

I am more concerned with Iggy's D at 2B.  This might be why Harris makes the 25 man roster & why Ozuna we'll be sent down when Thomas returns.  His skills might have been solid on turf but they don't look so hot on grass.  I'm not sure if the IF is real dirt or simply dirt on turf there.  That's going to make a difference as well.

It's very unlikely the ChiSox will lose the ball in the Sun at the Cell.  The orientation of the park should help them out greatly there.

Its an easy arguement to make. How much of CERA is the catchers or the pitchers making the pitches. It only stands to reason that the Twins, with a much better pitching staff ERA, and the Giants in a great pitchers ballpark, are going to put up much better ERAs, which would mean the Catchers ERAs would look much better. Is AJP that great of a catcher, or has he just been lucky enought to catch great pitchers? 2005 will tell us a lot.

I'm cautiously optimistic as I am with every season. If there's one thing we can count on this season it's the bullpen. El Duque's will surprise everyone with just how good he is. Garland should be our # 4 and Contreras..well our bullpen will be very good. Our run production will be fine and it has the potential to be very good if Pods can have a good year and Frank comes back healthy enough to produce. :gosox1: