A soldier's Easter story from Iraq

Texsox

Sun-Times Link

Williamson is now recovering from three severe injuries he sustained in Iraq -- all within three weeks of the Easter attacks. His wounds -- mostly from ambushes -- have qualified him for three Purple Hearts. He has received only one medal so far.

When Army doctors sent Williamson home last May to recover from a broken arm, they expected he would return in a month. Williamson took only a small bag and didn't get say goodbye to most of his unit. He, too expected to come back.

But on the way to the airport, Williamson's truck was hit by a bomb, and the blast fractured his hip. Williamson had to pay for his flight homebecause he was told no money was available for convalescent-leave flights. (A retired colonel is investigating why the military didn't pay for the trip and why Williamson still hasn't been reimbursed.)

Williamson had to pay for his flight home

WTF?? We can rebuild their whole damn country but a soldier has to buy his own plane ticket? I am so glad my elected officials are on my speed dial. Stuff like this pisses me off to no end.