Deja Vu all over again?

mmmmmbeeer

When Big Frank returned to the Sox in 2002 after missing nearly the entire '01 season due to the tricep problem, he struggled mightily. His numbers were by far the worst of his career hitting .252/.361/28/92 on the season but he was lucky to reach those #'s considering his .239/.333/.774 first half numbers.

So we turn the page to '05 and we've got Frank once again returning from a major injury. Am I the only one who is concerned about a repeat of '02? I think it's really important for Frank to have a solid season for this team to succeed, but I'm seriously worried about where his skill level will be when he returns and just how many months it will take him to find his groove again. Could it just be the nature of the tricep injury that had such an effect on his hitting or was it simply the inactivity after surgery that pulled him down? Give me some reassurance please, I could use some.

:gosox4:

QUOTE(mmmmmbeeer @ Mar 29, 2005 -> 10:37 AM)
When Big Frank returned to the Sox in 2002 after missing nearly the entire '01 season due to the tricep problem, he struggled mightily.  His numbers were by far the worst of his career hitting .252/.361/28/92 on the season but he was lucky to reach those #'s considering his .239/.333/.774 first half numbers. 

So we turn the page to '05 and we've got Frank once again returning from a major injury.  Am I the only one who is concerned about a repeat of '02?  I think it's really important for Frank to have a solid season for this team to succeed, but I'm seriously worried about where his skill level will be when he returns and just how many months it will take him to find his groove again.  Could it just be the nature of the tricep injury that had such an effect on his hitting or was it simply the inactivity after surgery that pulled him down? Give me some reassurance please, I could use some. 

:gosox4:

I would guess that the Triceps affected his swing more, and would be harder to come back from. I know this, we're going to find out.

No doubt I am worried. A 275 pound guy with foot problems is not a good combo. If his foot is still swelling up with plane travel, he can't be that healthy. Plus his power leg is shriveled up and obviously weak. I honestly think Carl Everett will outproduce Frank this year.

There is definiely reason for concern here. They say that the legs are where a hitter generates his power, and they also are the foundation for the swing. This could turn out to be a poor year for Frank. All we can do is hope that's not the case.

on sportsnite they said his calf was back to its regular size, and Walker said he was killing the ball, he just cant run at full speed yet. This offseason he still worked on his upper body with A-row. Back when he injured his tricep he was not able to work out his upper body at all which hurt his muscle memory and his fast-twitch muscle fiber that is used at the plate. I think he will be strong this year, and will have more RBI's than we think.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 29, 2005 -> 10:17 AM)
on sportsnite they said his calf was back to its regular size, and Walker said he was killing the ball, he just cant run at full speed yet.  This offseason he still worked on his upper body with A-row.  Back when he injured his tricep he was not able to work out his upper body at all which hurt his muscle memory and his fast-twitch muscle fiber that is used at the plate.  I think he will be strong this year, and will have more RBI's than we think.

I hope you are right, but this could be a case of the Sox blowing so much smoke up our collective asses.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 29, 2005 -> 10:18 AM)
I hope you are right, but this could be a case of the Sox blowing so much smoke up our collective asses.

True, but looking at video of Frank, I think he looks more in shape this year that the past, so I believe in his work ethic. I think part of the reason that he may be in a hurry to get back is the positive press that has come from the steroid hearings. Now everyone knows that he is a model of someone who hasnt juiced, and has been HOF-worthy without it. Now I think he knows if he is successful this season, he may not only generate a paycheck but be thought of in a more positive light.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 29, 2005 -> 10:22 AM)
True, but looking at video of Frank, I think he looks more in shape this year that the past, so I believe in his work ethic.  I think part of the reason that he may be in a hurry to get back is the positive press that has come from the steroid hearings.  Now everyone knows that he is a model of someone who hasnt juiced, and has been HOF-worthy without it.  Now I think he knows if he is successful this season, he may not only generate a paycheck but be thought of in a more positive light.

I'm not questioning Frank's work ethic. It's just sometimes, nothing but time can truly heal.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 29, 2005 -> 04:17 PM)
on sportsnite they said his calf was back to its regular size, and Walker said he was killing the ball, he just cant run at full speed yet.  This offseason he still worked on his upper body with A-row.  Back when he injured his tricep he was not able to work out his upper body at all which hurt his muscle memory and his fast-twitch muscle fiber that is used at the plate.  I think he will be strong this year, and will have more RBI's than we think.

Also, remember that for most of the time he played last year, he couldn't run on that foot either and he still was decent.

Is he wearing protection of some kind, so he doesn't take a foul ball off of it?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 29, 2005 -> 10:17 AM)

Nothing personal here, but unless the Virgin Mary visited him, there is no way his calf is back to normal. When he got to camp 3 weeks ago, it was noticably smaller than the other one. There is no way phsycially possible that it is back to normal.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 29, 2005 -> 11:27 AM)
Nothing personal here, but unless the Virgin Mary visited him, there is no way his calf is back to normal.  When he got to camp 3 weeks ago, it was noticably smaller than the other one.  There is no way phsycially possible that it is back to normal.

I didnt mean that it was normal size, that was an error on my part, but they, and Frank reported that is was back to its normal strength. It was also reported that way in the sun times today as well.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 29, 2005 -> 09:22 AM)
True, but looking at video of Frank, I think he looks more in shape this year that the past, so I believe in his work ethic.  I think part of the reason that he may be in a hurry to get back is the positive press that has come from the steroid hearings.  Now everyone knows that he is a model of someone who hasnt juiced, and has been HOF-worthy without it.  Now I think he knows if he is successful this season, he may not only generate a paycheck but be thought of in a more positive light.

Absolutely agree. Frank is very highly motivated to come back strong this year. He's an integral part of this team. Especially if Pods isnt getting on base. Everett could end up in left while Frank does his DH thing. 500 HR's, the HOF and being a White Sox till the end of his playing days led to his strong rehab and workout regiment in the off season