Prior: past steroid user?

While listening to Boers and Bernstein today, a caller mentioned that Prior no longer wears his stirrups high, that his pants were now down to his spikes. He didn't mention steroids but said that Prior's calves are now half the size they used to be, and that he wears his pants long to hide this, anyone else catch this?

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Mar 29, 2005 -> 07:46 PM)
While listening to Boers and Bernstein today, a caller mentioned that Prior no longer wears his stirrups high, that his pants were now down to his spikes. He didn't mention steroids but said that Prior's calves are now half the size they used to be, and that he wears his pants long to hide this, anyone else catch this?

I did catch that, but I don't think it really means anything. Maybe Calfzilla's calves were cold.

I wouldn't like it if this was flippantly said about a Sox player and I don't like it when it happens to anyone else. It takes a lifetime to build a reputation in sports or life and it takes 30 seconds to tear it down even if it's false. That really bothers me in this whole steroid fiasco.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Mar 29, 2005 -> 03:32 PM)
I wouldn't like it if this was flippantly said about a Sox player and I don't like it when it happens to anyone else. It takes a lifetime to build a reputation in sports or life and it takes 30 seconds to tear it down even if it's false. That really bothers me in this whole steroid fiasco.

I agree completely...

It's a good thing I didn't actually hear this first hand, otherwise I would have gone nuts.

I don't particularly like Mark Prior. In fact, I actually dislike the guy. He's not the most lovable character.

But practicing this kind of journalism is ridiculous.

- A guy is on steroids if he get injured too much

- A guy is on steroids if he stays too healthy

- A guy is on steroids if he gains weight

- A guy is on steroids if he loses weight.

There's no way to win. No way to not have your name arbitrarily attatched to the stigma of steroids without even the slightest bit of proof. I'd be seriously pissed off if I was Prior, or Helton(who got called out last week)

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Mar 29, 2005 -> 04:42 PM)
Absurd.

Yes, it seems there is a suprisingly high number of pitchers (past or present) that have used steroids.  But, to accuse a guy of steroid usage after lowering his pant-legs...please.

I think Willie Harris is doing steroids. Right after we signed Iguchi, he came out and got all mad and told the media about his anger. Sounded a lot like Roid rage to me. :bang

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Mar 29, 2005 -> 03:43 PM)
I agree completely...

It's a good thing I didn't actually hear this first hand, otherwise I would have gone nuts.

I don't particularly like Mark Prior.  In fact, I actually dislike the guy.  He's not the most lovable character.

There's no way to win.  No way to not have your name arbitrarily attatched to the stigma of steroids without even the slightest bit of proof.  I'd be seriously pissed off if I was Prior, or Helton(who got called out last week)

Actually your middle statements aren't true. I haven't heard anyone who's too healthy or gains weight(unless its pure muscle and the head gets bigger) being accused of being on steroids. I do have my suspicisions about Prior though(and no it's not because of what was said on Sporting News).

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Mar 29, 2005 -> 10:25 PM)
Actually your middle statements aren't true. I haven't heard anyone who's too healthy or gains weight(unless its pure muscle and the head gets bigger) being accused of being on steroids. I do have my suspicisions about Prior though(and no it's not because of what was said on Sporting News).

sure...

How many times did samme come back in the spring with an extra 20 pounds on him? What was the implication?

Bonds has remained healthy (until now) at an advanced age.. What was the implication?

It's a witch hunt plain and simple... The blood is in the water, and the sharks are circling. If there's a buck to be made selling papers, if there's listeners to be gained on the airwaves, if there's political capital to be gained, someone is making accusations to bolster their career at the price of anothers.

I have always suspected Prior, everyone's entitled to their opinion right? Mainly because of that thing in SI where an anonymous baseball player said that a top prospect pitcher teammate of his was juicing, and gave some characteristics that all matched Prior. I forgot the exact ones, but stuff about which draft this player was taken in, where he pitched prior (no pun intended) to the majors, etc. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's heard of this, even though the Chicago media covers it up like a blanket?

Still, either way, everyone is entitled to their opinion, no one was stating it is fact. That was so gay when everyone jumped all over Blackjack when he made allegations or something like that last year (BTW, his allegations made sense too).

Prior's physical appearance hasn't changed since college, so if he's been taking them, he's been doing it for a long time.

Bonds has basically played at 38+ years old with the body of a 28 year old. So in a sense, "staying too healthy" applies there.

There are going to be whispers and rumors about steroids for the foreseeable future. This is not a good thing, but it's the price that MLB, the union and the players have to pay for sticking their collective heads in the sand for 15 years. For an individual player that is unjustly accused, I will feel some empathy. For the muck they now themselves collectively wading through, I feel it's a case of them reaping what they have sown.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Mar 29, 2005 -> 09:43 PM)
I agree completely...

I don't particularly like Mark Prior.  In fact, I actually dislike the guy.  He's not the most lovable character.

There's no way to win.  No way to not have your name arbitrarily attatched to the stigma of steroids without even the slightest bit of proof.  I'd be seriously pissed off if I was Prior, or Helton(who got called out last week)

i would also have to add, got stronger on the offseason to the list, because now its everyone who lifts weights is on steroids according to the media

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Mar 29, 2005 -> 09:43 PM)
I agree completely...

You would have gone nuts? You're raging man, pull back on the juice.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Mar 29, 2005 -> 03:42 PM)
Absurd.

Yes, it seems there is a suprisingly high number of pitchers (past or present) that have used steroids.  But, to accuse a guy of steroid usage after lowering his pant-legs...please.

how about after having this many injuries in a short period of time. Or an achilles injury which is common in steriod abuse. Its not really that far off, he was awesome for a year, then when the steroid testing policy goes up, and the controversey starts, he is injured all the time and cant get back to form.

I hate the Cubs as much as anyone, and I think Prior has been anointed a goldenboy without proving he can stay healthy, but I don't think he's on/was on the juice.

If the size of his calves went down I would attribute it to the occurence of the achille's injury. When he was going through it people said it may be attributable to the size of his calves, so he probably reduced the size to ease on his achilles.

I think people were very wrong about his mechanics, and it's turning out he has poor mechanics instead of the perfect ones that were reported. Mike Marshall called his mechanics out before the injuries started. I also think, and Steve Stone reported people within the Cubs organization thought this too, that Prior is not willing to pitch through pain others are. Now, that could be smart on his part or not.