Kruk and Reynolds AL Central Preview from ESPN

maggsmaggs

QUOTE(chisox2334 @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 08:55 AM)
Guys we last few years were suppost to win it and yes espn commentators were picking us. I rather see us out picture and show them up then them just picking us because names we had.  Its time for us to take charge and finally win it.

:huh:

Sorry, but the "Twins have won it and we haven't" routine is getting old. So is the "Sox collapsed last three years." This isn't about history or pub. It's about talent on the field. The Indians haven't done jack in a while, but they are getting major pub. Don't forget, HR and Kruk are ex-players and Gammons writes for the Boston Globe. If they had a Telander or Morrissey on ESPN, they would talk about Chicago teams more. Kruk had one year here or a year and a half, I can't remember, not enough to really know the team.

It doesn't matter what ESPN says, let's get out on that field and kick some Twinkie/Indian/Tiger/Royal Ass.

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 11:10 AM)
Sorry, but the "Twins have won it and we haven't" routine is getting old.  So is the "Sox collapsed last three years."  This isn't about history or pub.  It's about talent on the field.  The Indians haven't done jack in a while, but they are getting major pub.  Don't forget, HR and Kruk are ex-players and Gammons writes for the Boston Globe.  If they had a Telander or Morrissey on ESPN, they would talk about Chicago teams more.  Kruk had one year here or a year and a half, I can't remember, not enough to really know the team. 

It doesn't matter what ESPN says, let's get out on that field and kick some Twinkie/Indian/Tiger/Royal Ass.

Sorry, but the Twins are the three time defending champs of the AL Central. I think they are entitled to the respect they get.

I really don't get all of the love for the Indians. They aren't that damn good. Their bullpen is still crap. Their rotation is highly overrated. Westbrook came out of nowhere to have one good season, and I highly doubt he is going to finish with a 3.26 ERA again; Sabathia won all of 11 games last year and has had an ERA under 4 only once so far, and yet people talk like he is an ace; Millwood is simply going to get shelled in the AL; Cliff Lee fell apart in the second half. I won't even waste my time ripping Elarton. Their offense isn't that stellar either. Hafner and Martinez are pretty good, but I doubt Coco Crisp hits .297 again, and the same for Belliard hitting .282. I highly doubt that they finish more than a game or two over .500, if they even do that.

I thought Cleveland was headed in the right direction until they decided Juan Gone in RF was a good idea. They've got a very good player in Sizemore and they keep Juan?

Ugh. He helped the Royals a s***load, didn't he?

Sabathia is injury prone, Millwood is mediocre, and Lee is their version of Contreras. I just don't see how their rotation is ranked as best in division. I have Twins and Sox at top of both rotation and bullpen.

If you want a good review of the AL Central, stick with sources located in the midwest. ESPN doesn't know its head from its ass outside of the East.

Hitting Indians : Should lead the ALC in BA

Fielding Twins : Everyone has IF changes in 05, but Twins traditionally play better D.

Starters Twins : Mays looks like he's back.

Bullpen Twins : The ChiSox have closed the gap but edge to Nathan.

Team Twins : The team win the best rotation & pen usually is a division winner.

Runner Ups:

Hitting ChiSox : Should lead the ALC in R

Fielding ChiSox : Closed the gap on the Twins

Starters ChiSox : Should prove to be 2nd best rot in div

Bullpen ChiSox : Twins have more dominant pen, ChiSox have healthiest & most experienced

Team ChiSox : Leading all runner up categories there should be no doubt

Pitching & D wise I believe the ChiSox have done enough to close the gap with the Twins. Getting an edge on the ALC is crucial.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Mar 31, 2005 -> 12:23 AM)
Hitting       Indians : Should lead the ALC in BA

Fielding      Twins : Everyone has IF changes in 05, but Twins traditionally play better D.

Starters      Twins : Mays looks like he's back.

Bullpen          Twins : The ChiSox have closed the gap but edge to Nathan.

Team          Twins : The team win the best rotation & pen usually is a division winner.

Runner Ups:

Hitting       ChiSox : Should lead the ALC in R

Fielding        ChiSox  : Closed the gap on the Twins

Starters        ChiSox  : Should prove to be 2nd best rot in div

Bullpen      ChiSox : Twins have more dominant pen, ChiSox have healthiest & most experienced

Team        ChiSox : Leading all runner up categories there should be no doubt

Pitching & D wise I believe the ChiSox have done enough to close the gap with the Twins.  Getting an edge on the ALC is crucial.

So, the Sox will score more runs, yet the Indians have a better offense? :huh:

(FWIW, I think the Indians offense will be better than the Sox offense -- just, that logic doesn't make a whole lot of sense...)

• 3 months later...