roster moves...

bjm676

If this is already in another thread, sorry.

The only official move announced by the White Sox following Tuesday's 4-3 loss to Colorado was the Mets' claim of utility infielder Wilson Valdez off of waivers. But manager Ozzie Guillen let slip the handful of moves that will be coming following Wednesday's contest against Arizona.

Catcher Jamie Burke and pitcher Brandon McCarthy will be reassigned to the minor league camp, while outfielder Joe Borchard and pitchers Jon Adkins and Kevin Walker will be sent to Charlotte, according to Guillen. Those moves leave the White Sox at 28 on the active roster, although the number drops to 27 when Thomas is placed on the 15-day disabled list.

Guillen did not mention catcher Chris Widger, a non-roster invitee who has impressed during Spring Training, or right-handed reliever Felix Diaz. The 24-year-old Diaz was slotted behind McCarthy and Adkins, and with a rare fourth option, should start the season at Charlotte. Widger could make the team, depending on the condition of the torn ligament in Ben Davis' right index finger.

With Valdez being moved from the 40-man roster, the White Sox now have two spots open. Pablo Ozuna is certain to claim one of those, as Guillen pointed out when talking about Valdez's new opportunity in New York.

"It's great for (Valdez) to go to the big leagues because here he got beat out by Ozuna," said Guillen, mentioning that the Pirates also asked about Valdez, who was out of options. "Ozuna (had) a great Spring Training and played great everywhere I put him.

"He gave me a great opportunity and a great chance because this kid can play all three (infield) positions, plus he can play some outfield," Guillen added.

Guillen said the final roster might not be officially set until this weekend in Milwaukee. Although it appears the White Sox are going with 11 pitchers, after Mark Buehrle's strong effort Tuesday, Guillen still had to talk with Williams and pitching coach Don Cooper to make the final call.

"It's great for (Valdez) to go to the big leagues because here he got beat out by Ozuna," said Guillen, mentioning that the Pirates also asked about Valdez, who was out of options.

It's a shame that we didn't have the chance to trade Valdez to the Pirates but I doubt we would have gotten anything of value.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 12:17 AM)
It's a shame that we didn't have the chance to trade Valdez to the Pirates but I doubt we would have gotten anything of value.

Apparently, they didn't think highly enough of him to claim him, or they decided on another direction. Wait, I might be making an incorrect assumption here. I assumed the Pirates finished below the Mets last year and would have had first shot at him. But, I'm not very sure at all that is the case. I'm also too damn lazy to go look it up. As Bill Murray said in "Meatballs" ... "It just doesn't matter."

Apparently, they didn't think highly enough of him to claim him, or they decided on another direction.  Wait, I might be making an incorrect assumption here.  I assumed the Pirates finished below the Mets last year and would have had first shot at him.  But, I'm not very sure at all that is the case.  I'm also too damn lazy to go look it up.  As Bill Murray said in "Meatballs" ... "It just doesn't matter."

Great thinking there, bud. Surprisingly, the Pirates actually finished last season with a better record than the Mets...

2004 Final Standings

Pittsburgh Pirates 72-89

New York Mets 71-91

It's hard to believe that the Pirates finished with a better record than the Mets last year but they did. If the Mets hadn't claimed Valdez, the Pirates would have claimed him. They had the next dibs on Valdez.

Edited by Jabroni

Wilson Valdez Claimed; Sox Closer to Final Roster

By Jason Gage

March 30, 2005

FutureSox.com

Wilson Valdez was claimed by the New York Mets on Wednesday after the White Sox tried to send Valdez back to Charlotte. Valdez, who was out of options, had to clear waivers first, before joining the Charlotte Knights. This move all but solidifies Pablo Ozuna’s spot on the roster as a utility man...MORE