Giving notice...

Steff

Guys.. what do you think about letting your boss know that there is a possibility that you might be resigning..? Not actually giving the two week notice.. but advising them that there is a possibility that you might be leaving... Good, bad, indifferent..? Trying to be straight with them and not screw them over on some super important projects that I have my hands in that will effect due dilligence proceedures and a lot of stuff with the investors. Or should I say screw it and just give notice and let them worry about it...?

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 07:27 AM)
I would just let them worry about it. If they were to fire you or lay you off they more than likely would not give you any notice. So SCREW EM!! lol

I'm in a tough spot because that wouldn't happen... well.. I guess they could fire me, but it wouldn't be a surprise if that were to happen. They've been, for the most part, good to me. I just need a break..

I just went through that.

I had to give a 30 day notice where I was, which in finance is unheard of.

Anyway, if a company and its management is worth a salt they will give you a good opportunity to tie the loose ends up.

If you're resigning because of a conflict with the management or the like, it's best to not rock the boat.

I could be more specific but I don't know all the circumstances.

I wouldn't tell them you are *thinking* about leaving unless you really, really trust the person you are talking to, or are intent on leaving anyway. Something like that rings as a kind of hollow threat, and could only exsaserbate(sp) exsisting problems, IMHO.

I would wait until you ARE leaving.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 07:37 AM)
I wouldn't tell them you are *thinking* about leaving unless you really, really trust the person you are talking to, or are intent on leaving anyway.  Something like that rings as a kind of hollow threat, and could only exsaserbate(sp) exsisting problems, IMHO.

I would wait until you ARE leaving.

The only problem with that is that the "personal reasons" are obvious. I have a script in my head.. something along the lines of "due to personal reasons there is a good possibility that I may have to resign. As to not put you or the company in a bad spot I want to be honest with you and if the worst case ends up happening and I do end up leaving I want you to know that I will do all I can to resolve loose ends and train my replacement..."

QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 07:51 AM)
The only problem with that is that the "personal reasons" are obvious. I have a script in my head.. something along the lines of "due to personal reasons there is a good possibility that I may have to resign. As to not put you or the company in a bad spot I want to be honest with you and if the worst case ends up happening and I do end up leaving I want you to know that I will do all I can to resolve loose ends and train my replacement..."

And that sounds good and professional, but if the boss takes it personally, he could easily make it worse for you.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 07:53 AM)
And that sounds good and professional, but if the boss takes it personally, he could easily make it worse for you.

Agree. I have a pretty good relationship with him outside of work (him and his family have been over to the house for parties, etc.. and him and Jim and my dad bowl together.. so I'm hoping that is in the back of his mind as I tell him this.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 07:53 AM)

Yes. It all depends on your relationship with your boss. You know your boss better than we do, Steff.

QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 08:55 AM)
Agree. I have a pretty good relationship with him outside of work (him and his family have been over to the house for parties, etc.. and him and Jim and my dad bowl together.. so I'm hoping that is in the back of his mind as I tell him this.

I wouldn't tell him you are thinking about it. What if you change your mind? You will have put doubt in their ability to count on you...maybe.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 08:00 AM)
I wouldn't tell him you are thinking about it.  What if you change your mind?  You will have put doubt in their ability to count on you...maybe.

Agree.. it's a gamble. I wont make a decision to do anything until the end of the day.. so I have some time to think about it.

Just wanted to get your guys opinion.

Thanks.

I'd definitely wait until you are 100% sure this is what you want to do, and go along with it when you make the decision and notify your boss. If you need a break though Steff, any chance of maybe getting some long service leave, or some vacation time (although I'm not too well informed about the American Worker perks etc.) :lol:

QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 07:32 AM)
Not a rift with the bosses at all.. even though I can't stand my boss he would never suspect as much. This decision is 100% personal.

After reading through this thread, I believe that you feel fairly secure in your professional environment. In other words, you have a good professional relationship and are in good standing with the boss and company. If this is the case, I think you would come out of this looking like a consumate professional that has no malice and the best interests of the company at heart. One little suggestion though .... I would change "I may have to resign" to "I may be forced to resign" as that would imply that it is something personal, but beyond your control. Just a thought.

QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 07:32 AM)
Not a rift with the bosses at all.. even though I can't stand my boss he would never suspect as much. This decision is 100% personal.

Steff, I know you want to spend more time posting on this board, but quitting your job is not the way to go...

:D

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 08:23 AM)
After reading through this thread, I believe that you feel fairly secure in your professional environment. In other words, you have a good professional relationship and are in good standing with the boss and company.  If this is the case, I think you would come out of this looking like a consumate professional that has no malice and the best interests of the company at heart.  One little suggestion though .... I would change "I may have to resign" to "I may be forced to resign" as that would imply that it is something personal, but beyond your control.  Just a thought.

I'm extremely lucky here.. leaving - if that ends up happening - will be devistating. They love me.. I do anything and everything for my boss and the executives whenever they need anything.. work insane hours, weekends, etc... and while in the end it may not matter and they say eff you.. I'm banking on knowing my boss - and the companies habits (they tend to try to keep people like mad when they contemplate leaving.. and for the record this is NOT about $$ and I would make that crystal clear) and that they would not make a rash decision and fire me. But like I said.. I'm going to think about it for the day. Thanks Yas..

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 08:27 AM)
Steff, I know you want to spend more time posting on this board, but quitting your job is not the way to go...

:D

LOL... Mike suggested I become a BMac groupie for my new job. :lol:

I know a lot people who tried to do the 'right thing' and not burn a bridge by giving as much as a 3 or 4 weeks notice. Nowadays, when you do that some companies will let you go right on the spot. That sux because in many cases the person was still counting on those 3 or 4 weeks of pay. Suddenly they have a 5-6 week period without income. Personally, I wouldn't give more than a 1 week notice and I'd be prepared for them to bounce me on the spot.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 08:43 AM)
I know a lot people who tried to do the 'right thing' and not burn a bridge by giving as much as a 3 or 4 weeks notice. Nowadays, when you do that some companies will let you go right on the spot. That sux because in many cases the person was still counting on those 3 or 4 weeks of pay. Suddenly they have a 5-6 week period without income. Personally, I wouldn't give more than a 1 week notice and I'd be prepared for them to bounce me on the spot.

In doing that they would put themselves in a very bad spot. I understand whay you're saying, but in this instance I have the upper hand with projects in progress.

QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 02:49 PM)
In doing that they would put themselves in a very bad spot. I understand whay you're saying, but in this instance I have the upper hand with projects in progress.

I'm sure you know the situation well and I'm not saying this will happen to you. I've seen people who thought the same thing and ended up getting bounced. Sometimes employers WILL cut off their nose to spite their face. A lot of times, it has to do with $$. Why pay 2 people for that 3 or 4 week period when you can pay 1.

I wouldn't tip my hand if I were you. But that comes from working for companies that are run by people who didn't think twice before doing things (not referring to my direct boss, but their bosses). Brian has seen the same thing at both his companies (people who were reliable and well liked made the mistake of mentioning talking to other companies to the wrong person were immediatly let go).

But as previously stated, you know your company environment better than us.

Edited by Queen Prawn