Giving notice...

Steff

I think I'm just going to give him a heads up that there's some personal stuff going on (rather than going to the HR department who is pretty much a joke around here) that may cause me to miss some unexpected time and not mention resigning. I feel that's the best way to cover all my bases at this point.

Thanks for the advice guys.

QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 05:13 PM)
I think I'm just going to give him a heads up that there's some personal stuff going on (rather than going to the HR department who is pretty much a joke around here) that may cause me to miss some unexpected time and not mention resigning. I feel that's the best way to cover all my bases at this point.

That's the way to go, Steff. Keep the ball in your court. Because they may not assign you any more projects and when you finish the one's you are on, they may just let you go.

The key is to keep the ball in your court. Good luck.

PS. Just remember, if for some reason a company had to lay you off or fire you, you usually don't get much notice. There is no more loyalty in business. Saying that, do what YOU are comfortable with.

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 05:19 PM)
That's the way to go, Steff.  Keep the ball in your court.  Because they may not assign you any more projects and when you finish the one's you are on, they may just let you go. 

The key is to keep the ball in your court.  Good luck. 

PS.  Just remember, if for some reason a company had to lay you off or fire you, you usually don't get much notice.  There is no more loyalty in business.  Saying that, do what YOU are comfortable with.

So true. Business decisions are just that, never personal. Many times a person is forced to let people go, no matter how much they might value or like the employee. Look out for #1 and cover your ass Steff. Good luck.

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 11:19 AM)
PS.  Just remember, if for some reason a company had to lay you off or fire you, you usually don't get much notice.  There is no more loyalty in business.  Saying that, do what YOU are comfortable with.

I totally agree with you guys that this is the way it is most of the time.. the situation here is this.. they are trying to sell off one of the divisions.. the sale is going to make 11 executives and 35+ agents millionaires x3... they need me to finish the project or they don't get the dilligence done. As well I am one of the "contacts" in the deal - not that I'll be cashing any million $$ checks :headshake

I just know that if they were to fire me or lay me off at this point the deal would be set back by a year at the least and they are not about to let that happen. Greedy bastards..

QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 05:38 PM)
I totally agree with you guys that this is the way it is most of the time.. the situation here is this.. they are trying to sell off one of the divisions.. the sale is going to make 11 executives and 35+ agents millionaires x3... they need me to finish the project or they don't get the dilligence done. As well I am one of the "contacts" in the deal - not that I'll be cashing any million $$ checks  :headshake

I just know that if they were to fire me or lay me off at this point the deal would be set back by a year at the least and they are not about to let that happen. Greedy bastards..

Can you ask to get a piece of this deal? Or be an executive so you can?

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 05:44 PM)
Hell I had something near to that happen to me recently, I created a new formula for a product we make and it saved the company a cool million and do you think I got anything out of it?? Hell no, not even a thank you or a lunch....

No, but you have some GREAT resume fodder for that next job!!! :P

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 11:42 AM)
Can you ask to get a piece of this deal?  Or be an executive so you can?

Not really.. the work is part of my job. If I was to be compensated it would be from the buyers.

QUOTE(T R U @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 12:02 PM)
I would walk into the work place and go..

f*** you... f*** you... f*** you... your cool... and f*** you... im out

Amazing enough.. I thought to myself.. what would TRU do.. and this is exactly what came to my mind.. :banghead

QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 12:04 PM)
Amazing enough.. I thought to myself.. what would TRU do.. and this is exactly what came to my mind..  :banghead

what? Youve never seen Half Baked?

BTW, for all answers to life all you have to do is ask yourself.... What Would T R U Do? And you will be guided in the right direction..

I will even make a little WWTD bracelt for you, if youd like..

Edited by T R U

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 12:06 PM)
Be like on National Lampoons Christmas Vacation...

Chevy Chase saying to the people going into the conference room...

"Hi, how are you? Kiss my ass, Kiss his ass" and so on....

That would be hysterical.. :lolhitting

QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 12:13 PM)

You got the right idea Steff. Don't force your hand by even mentioning a possibility of quitting. If your boss is smart, he'd realize its a possibility given what you're saying. If he isn't, then he's not the kind of boss likely to take that possibility well to begin with.

QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 11:38 AM)
I totally agree with you guys that this is the way it is most of the time.. the situation here is this.. they are trying to sell off one of the divisions.. the sale is going to make 11 executives and 35+ agents millionaires x3... they need me to finish the project or they don't get the dilligence done. As well I am one of the "contacts" in the deal - not that I'll be cashing any million $$ checks  :headshake

It sounds to me like you got them over the proverbial barrel. :)