Ewwwww first cousins go to MD to marry

southsider2k5

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 03:08 PM)
That's a typical remark.

I was waiting for that.

I know a married couple who are 1st cousins. Not sure how they were married, but I do know that they had to write the Vatican and go through all kinds of red tape in order to be married in a Catholic church.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 09:14 AM)
I was waiting for that.

I know a married couple who are 1st cousins. Not sure how they were married, but I do know that they had to write the Vatican and go through all kinds of red tape in order to be married in a Catholic church.

LMB, I really don't want to piss anybody off, but these remarks are prejudicial. Any remarks that refer to stereotypes, regardless of intent, qualify. Yet, sometimes remarks can be made that are funny without being offensive. But too often, they come across as a slam. It gets old hearing/reading remarks that are demeaning to people in the south. I was listening to a local radio talk show this morning and they were talking about how PTI on ESPN were discussing the fact that UVA is going to offer Tubby Smith a huge contract to leave UK. They said that because Tubby is black, he has never been accepted in Kentucky ... which is total BULLs***. They implied that Virginia ... which was the political heart of the Confederacy ... was less racist than KY, which did not bolt the US. Tubby Smith is under fire here because he has not made a final four since his first year at UK when the heart of the team were Pitino recruits. People also forget that Smith came to UK from Georgia. Yet, within the last few weeks Chicago was labeled as a racist city over Dusty Baker. A Pennsylvania cousin couple gets married, and a crack about Alabama is thrown out there. Oh hell, I'm trying to explain, but it's not coming out well. Pardon my rant.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 09:26 AM)
I pretty much wrote that knowing you would have to respond. :D

So why is it ok for you to insult me and my family heritage and it's not ok for me to insult an ethnic or gender or sexual preference group?

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 10:31 AM)
So why is it ok for you to insult me and my family heritage and it's not ok for me to insult an ethnic or gender or sexual preference group?

Feel free to insult whoever you want to. I find southern stereotypes to be hilarious. And a guy like Jeff Foxworthy or Larry the Cable Guy help to pass those stereotypes along...so what do you think of them?

And Chicago is a very racist city....why do you think all the neighborhoods are segregated?

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 09:38 AM)
Feel free to insult whoever you want to.  I find southern stereotypes to be hilarious.  And a guy like Jeff Foxworthy or Larry the Cable Guy help to pass those stereotypes along...so what do you think of them?

And Chicago is a very racist city....why do you think all the neighborhoods are segregated?

There have been people banned from Soxtalk for such types of insults. You find it funny. I find someone that thinks insulting someone based on either race,creed, sex, location, or whatever a classless SOB.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 10:41 AM)
There have been people banned from Soxtalk for such types of insults.  You find it funny.  I find someone that thinks insulting someone based on either race,creed, sex, location, or whatever a classless SOB.

So what about Larry the Cable guy or Jeff Foxworthy? Do they not spread southern stereotypes?

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 09:43 AM)
So what about Larry the Cable guy or Jeff Foxworthy?  Do they not spread southern stereotypes?

I'm not familiar with this Larry the Cable Guy dude, but yes Foxworthy does. But! There is something about making fun of your own type that is more acceptable than being looked down and insulted by an outsider, so to speak. For example, a black man can call another black man the "n" word and get away with it, whereas if a white man does the same thing he might find out that it is a grave mistake.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 10:47 AM)
I'm not familiar with this Larry the Cable Guy dude, but yes Foxworthy does.  But!  There is something about making fun of your own type that is more acceptable than being looked down and insulted by an outsider, so to speak. For example,  a black man can call another black man the "n" word and get away with it, whereas if a white man does the same thing he might find out that it is a grave mistake.

But are they not perpetuating the stereotype and helping keep it alive...for all, even non-southerners? I will say this, don't people have a pre-conceived notion of us 'yankees'? I think so...that's perpetuating a stereotype too.

I don't think a response like 'I expected this to be a story from Alabama' is really a big insult. However, I regret making you upset. I look at it more of a little jab to the ribs type of joke.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 09:51 AM)
But are they not perpetuating the stereotype and helping keep it alive...for all, even non-southerners?  I will say this, don't people have a pre-conceived notion of us 'yankees'?  I think so...that's perpetuating a stereotype too.

I don't think a response like 'I expected this to be a story from Alabama' is really a big insult.  However, I regret making you upset.  I look at it more of a little jab to the ribs type of joke.

Yes, they are perpetuating the stereotype. It's all a matter of perspective. A "hillbilly" can laugh at Archie Campbell or Grandpa Jones on Hee Haw, but those people are also poking fun at themselves, as well. As I said, I was trying to explain this, but I wasn't communicating it very well. You also have have to take into consideration that I grew up in Chicago as the son of southern parents. I am very familiar with the attitudes of "enlightened blue state Chicagoans" toward southerners.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 09:08 AM)
That's a typical remark.

No, Kentucky would be a typical remark, I thought Alabama was a nice touch

:D

Of course, sadly there are many who believe this. :banghead

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 10:51 AM)
Alabama is one of 19 states that allow cousin marriage without ANY restrictions.

Funny how 'stereotypes' often have good historical and factual truths to them....

Kinda how people in West Virginia are often considered crazy hillbillies. It doesnt help peoples opinion of them when they act irrational. A week ago,after West Virginia advanced to the Elite 8 the students lit over 50 fires and burned everything in sight. Sounds like a crazy hillbilly thing to do. :P

I agree that stereotypes are more an exception than a rule in most cases, but most of the time they wouldnt have appeared if their wasnt at least partially true...

Thoughts?

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 05:00 PM)
Funny how 'stereotypes' often have good historical and factual truths to them....

Kinda how people in West Virginia are often considered crazy hillbillies. It doesnt help peoples opinion of them when they act irrational. A week ago,after West Virginia advanced to the Elite 8 the students lit over 50 fires and burned everything in sight. Sounds like a crazy hillbilly thing to do. :P

I agree that stereotypes are more an exception than a rule in most cases, but most of the time they wouldnt have appeared if their wasnt at least partially true...

Thoughts?

You're joking right? You consider that one example 'a good historical and factual truth' from which we should perpetuate a stereotype?

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 12:00 PM)

Thoughts?

Visit East Lansing when the Spartans lose or win this weekend and see if its a Mountaineer only phenomenon.