ESPN Radio Update just said

JDsDirtySox

You make it sound like he ONLY caught Mark & that's not true.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/gamelog?statsId=6717

As I said earlier I can buy the argument that Widger is better at blocking pitches in the dirt than Burke. That takes greater precendence on a team featuring Contreras, Marte, Shingo, & Hernandez. Every game there is likely to be several such pitches. The backup needs to be ready to play in the event AJP gets hurt in a game. Not just spelling him on days off. With dirt throwers in the rotation & the pen the guy best able to block those pitches should be the backup.

Widger is probably a better glove than Burke. Haven't seen enough of him to say that with confidence. I have seen Jamie & he's not very good & blocking pitches in the dirt. But when it comes to a strong bat & strong arm Burke has accomplished MORE of late. There's no reason to diminish that in your support for the non-roster invitee.

Jul 1 Garland 2-1W @ MIN

Jul 8 Loaiza 9-8W @ Cell

Jul 23 Loaiza 6-4W @ Cell

Aug 21 Stewart 10-7L @ Cell

Sep 1 Grili 6-4W @ Cell

Sep 3 Garland 7-5W @ Cell

Sep 11 Grili 13-6W @ LAA

Sep 17 Grili 10-11L @ Cell

Sep 19 Garcia 6-1W @ Cell

Sep 22 Grili 7-6W @ Cell

Sep 24 Garcia 6-8L @ Cell

Oct 2 Grili 2-10L @KC

Totals: 8W, 4L incl Mark 17W, 8L

FYI Mark had more quality starts w Burke than any other C.

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just want to say I curse the day KW traded E-LO for Contreras. He's such a F"g waste of space. He's more likely the reason why Widger has been given the nod over Burke. As a #3 he should figure to get 33-35 starts. He's such a wild-man that it would be a miracle for him not to throw any pitches in the dirt in a start. The fact that he does it with RISP is a cardinal sin. He's just so F'g clueless out there & he didn't look any better in ST.

Hernandez usually throws some in the dirt as well but when he's on his game batters swing at it & it's not unreasonable for a C to field the pitch. Burke is at a disadvantage to Widger on these types.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Mar 31, 2005 -> 11:19 AM)
I just want to say I curse the day KW traded E-LO for Contreras.  He's such a F"g waste of space.  He's more likely the reason why Widger has been given the nod over Burke.  As a #3 he should figure to get 33-35 starts.  He's such a wild-man that it would be a miracle for him not to throw any pitches in the dirt in a start.  The fact that he does it with RISP is a cardinal sin.  He's just so F'g clueless out there & he didn't look any better in ST.

Hernandez usually throws some in the dirt as well but when he's on his game batters swing at it & it's not unreasonable for a C to field the pitch.  Burke is at a disadvantage to Widger on these types.

Are you related to Jamie Burke or something?? f***ing hell you are going on and on about poor Jamie...take it easy Champ

QUOTE(Kogs35 @ Mar 31, 2005 -> 12:59 PM)
was widger on the yankees before and didnt he catch el duke if he was on the yakees?

He was a Jankee in '02 so he was there at the same time.

I'm not surprised Davis was cut, after the AJ signing I predicted Jamie Burke would beat him out, just based on what we saw last year. I think the domino’s for Widger sticking started falling with Pablo Ozuna’s fine play at third, devaluing Burke’s strength of versatility. Ross Gload was already ahead of him at 1B of OF. So it got down to a simple RH catcher race with Widger playing better then either Davis or Burke behind the plate (despite Davis’ overblown rep), and showing more pop in his bat.

That said, none of these guys are anything more than fringe players.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Mar 31, 2005 -> 05:19 PM)
I just want to say I curse the day KW traded E-LO for Contreras.  He's such a F"g waste of space.  He's more likely the reason why Widger has been given the nod over Burke.  As a #3 he should figure to get 33-35 starts.  He's such a wild-man that it would be a miracle for him not to throw any pitches in the dirt in a start.  The fact that he does it with RISP is a cardinal sin.  He's just so F'g clueless out there & he didn't look any better in ST.

I've been a bit concerned about Jose coming into this season. But seeing how adamant you are that Contreras is hopeless, that gives me reason to be optimistic. Thanks. :headbang

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 2, 2005 -> 06:45 AM)
From the Sun Times.

"Catcher Ben Davis declined his veterans' rights to refuse a minor-league assignment and will play for Class AAA Charlotte, thus assuring his $1 million salary."

In his situation, I'd do the same.

Nobody else was going to pay him a million.

He may as well take the cash. Kinda silly to turn it down in the hope of starting for some dismal team.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Apr 2, 2005 -> 09:21 AM)
In his situation, I'd do the same.

Nobody else was going to pay him a million.

He may as well take the cash. Kinda silly to turn it down in the hope of starting for some dismal team.

I'm just glad that he made that choice. He supplies two things. Depth at catcher and a possible piece to a trade.