The Score is saying Ben Davis will be sent down

CSF

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No one can claim him if he's being optioned.  The Score updates says he's being optioned.

I didn't realize Davis had minor league options left.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

Guillen did not mention catcher Chris Widger, a non-roster invitee who has impressed during Spring Training, or right-handed reliever Felix Diaz. The 24-year-old Diaz was slotted behind McCarthy and Adkins, and with a rare fourth option, should start the season at Charlotte. Widger could make the team, depending on the condition of the torn ligament in Ben Davis' right index finger.
Edited by Jabroni

I wonder if the Sox want a healthy Davis over Widger or if they actually like Widger over Davis.  Once he is healthy, I wonder if they will trade Davis or send Widger down and keep Davis as the backup. :huh

Good question. Either way, this move buys them time.

The more difficult decision comes when Thomas is ready to rejoin the team.

One other thing ... if Davis is indeed being optioned as the Score says, this reinforces something a few on this board have stated for a while now ...

We as fans do not know a lot of stuff behind the scenes. let me rephrase that, there is A LOT we don't know. We make assumptions and then post knee jerk pronouncements about how things "should" go, or "will" go. We don't have 10% of the info Sox personnel has ... Ben Davis having a minor league option left is a perfect example.

Just had to get that off my chest. This board should be as much or more for learning about things vs. spouting off without knowing the whole story. Aimed at no one in particular, I have been guilty of this myself.

QUOTE(JimH @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 09:49 PM)
Good question.  Either way, this move buys them time.

The more difficult decision comes when Thomas is ready to rejoin the team.

One other thing ... if Davis is indeed being optioned as the Score says, this reinforces something a few on this board have stated for a while now ...

Also reinforces that Levine should stick to covering the Cubs..

Also reinforces that Levine should stick to covering the Cubs..

Very fair comment. Levine shouldn't have stated "today", although it will not shock me if he's moved very soon now that the Sox have optioned him out.

Optioning out is different than putting him on the 15 day DL because of the finger problem. It buys them more time to look at Widger for sure, but it does not speak well of how Davis fits into the plans.

Very fair comment.  Levine shouldn't have stated "today", although it will not shock me if he's moved very soon now that the Sox have optioned him out.

Optioning out is different than putting him on the 15 day DL because of the finger problem.  It buys them more time to look at Widger for sure, but it does not speak well of how Davis fits into the plans.

Just start hoping for other team's catchers to get injured. That will juice up Davis' trade value a bit. :lol:

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 10:41 PM)
I wonder if the Sox want a healthy Davis over Widger or if they actually like Widger over Davis.  Once he is healthy, I wonder if they will trade Davis or send Widger down and keep Davis as the backup. :huh

Comcast Sports Net reports Ben Davis cleared waivers. He has 10 days to accept minor league assignment or else he forfeits his salary and becomes a free agent.

Well, the Score was wrong.

Just reported on Comcast Sports Net:

Ben Davis cleared waivers and now has 10 days whether to decide to report to Charlotte. If he does, he will collect the $1 million salary.

If he refuses, he can become a free agent but he forfeits the contract, i.e. he will not be paid the $1 million.

Guillen was just interviewed and he said Reinsdorf agreed with the baseball people and was willing to pay the salary to keep him in the organization vs. dumping him in a trade and eating a small portion of the salary.

Guillen says they've talked to Davis, saying they want him in the organization, they will need him at some point, etc.

It's now up to Davis to either accept the assignment or become a free agent.

Geezus, how can the Score screw that up?

There is a gigantic difference between being optioned vs. clearing waivers and being given 10 days to accept the minor league assignment.

Absolute shoddy reporting ... again ... by the Score.

For chrissakes, how hard is it to get things right???