The Score is saying Ben Davis will be sent down

CSF

QUOTE(JimH @ Mar 31, 2005 -> 04:20 AM)
Well, the Score was wrong.

Just reported on Comcast Sports Net:

Ben Davis cleared waivers and now has 10 days whether to decide to report to Charlotte.  If he does, he will collect the $1 million salary.

If he refuses, he can become a free agent but he forfeits the contract, i.e. he will not be paid the $1 million.

Guillen was just interviewed and he said Reinsdorf agreed with the baseball people and was willing to pay the salary to keep him in the organization vs. dumping him in a trade and eating a small portion of the salary.

Guillen says they've talked to Davis, saying they want him in the organization, they will need him at some point, etc.

It's now up to Davis to either accept the assignment or become a free agent.

Jim -- can we trust any radio source anymore?

ESPN 1000: "Ben will be traded by day's end!"

The Score: "Ben Davis has been optioned to Charlotte!"

Wrong.

Wrong.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 31, 2005 -> 02:23 PM)

ESPN 1000:  "Ben will be traded by day's end!"

The Score:  "Ben Davis has been optioned to Charlotte!"

Wrong.

Wrong.

Absolutely not. Remember the whole Buerhle incident. Torn ligament, broken bone, they had eveything but the amputation of his foot. :lol:

Here's my thinking. He cleared waivers because the injury is serious right? Well if thats the case why wouldn't the Sox just put him on the DL.

My guess is they sent him down hoping someone would be crazy enough to pick him up and take the salary off their hands. They must want to free up some money for midseason and figure now would be as good a time as any.

Thats just my assumption. Cause if they wanted him, they would of just put him on the DL (since he's supposedly hurt) and then wouldn't of had to worry. Widger could of been up and the Sox could of dealt with the rest later.

ESPN 1000:  "Ben will be traded by day's end!"

The Score:  "Ben Davis has been optioned to Charlotte!"

Wrong.

Wrong.

Levine clearly jumped the gun. They probably had a trade on the table but the Sox wanted to keep him in the organization and went to Reinsdorf for the ok.

As for the Score ... just because it's only a backup catcher and just because they pay more attention to the Cubs does NOT mean they have any excuse to misreport the nature of the transaction.

Shoddy reporting.

Levine should've just said "it appears extremely likely Chris Widger will be the Sox backup catcher, and Sox brass is exploring various avenues with Ben Davis. Expect this situation to come to a resolution today."

How f***ing hard is it to do that??

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but a few years ago, there were a lot of whispers going around that Ben Davis was on the juice. I remember one SI column that was stunned by how much bigger his head looked. I wonder if there's more to this story than what we know.

QUOTE(JimH @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 08:27 PM)
Levine clearly jumped the gun.  They probably had a trade on the table but the Sox wanted to keep him in the organization and went to Reinsdorf for the ok.

As for the Score ... just because it's only a backup catcher and just because they pay more attention to the Cubs does NOT mean they have any excuse to misreport the nature of the transaction.

Shoddy reporting.

Levine should've just said "it appears extremely likely Chris Widger will be the Sox backup catcher, and Sox brass is exploring various avenues with Ben Davis.  Expect this situation to come to a resolution today."

How f***ing hard is it to do that??

I still don't get it. If the Sox wanted to keep him, then just put him on the DL. Widger is already signed to a minor league deal so its not like there would be any hurdles to this process.

Hurt and Davis go to the 15 day DL and Widger is the backup catcher.

Only thing I can even think of is the Sox figure, an injured Davis is more likely to clear waivers, which means the Sox can move him and down between Charlotte and Chicago for the rest of the year??? I'm not 100% on that, but IIRC, once a player clears waivers once in a season you would be enabled to do that. This is just a shot out of the dark thought.

Otherwise, if Sox want Davis and he's hurt, DL him, take Widger...its that simple.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 10:28 PM)
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but a few years ago, there were a lot of whispers going around that Ben Davis was on the juice.  I remember one SI column that was stunned by how much bigger his head looked.  I wonder if there's more to this story than what we know.

Another one on the juice. You can lump this one in with that lameo story about Prior's calves.

:rolly

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 10:28 PM)
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but a few years ago, there were a lot of whispers going around that Ben Davis was on the juice.  I remember one SI column that was stunned by how much bigger his head looked.  I wonder if there's more to this story than what we know.

Well if he was on the roids he certainly needs to get off them because they haven't helped him one friggin bit!!

I still don't get it. If the Sox wanted to keep him, then just put him on the DL.  Widger is already signed to a minor league deal so its not like there would be any hurdles to this process.

Hurt and Davis go to the 15 day DL and Widger is the backup catcher.

Only thing I can even think of is the Sox figure, an injured Davis is more likely to clear waivers, which means the Sox can move him and down between Charlotte and Chicago for the rest of the year??? I'm not 100% on that, but IIRC, once a player clears waivers once in a season you would be enabled to do that. This is just a shot out of the dark thought.

Otherwise, if Sox want Davis and he's hurt, DL him, take Widger...its that simple.

They could have DL'd him but as you say this gives them more flexibility.

Let's face it, it gives them better catching depth. They could have easily dumped him in a trade and eaten some or most of the salary.

Guillen specifically said they wanted to keep him in the organization.

What this means:

They really like what Widger can do. A 15 day disabled list stint didn't provide enough time to sort out the Widger/Davis battle. They want both guys in the organization, as I said, it gives them excellent depth at catcher.

Purely speculation, but with everybody paring down rosters at the moment, it may have been easier to get Davis through waivers now vs. 15 days from now, i.e. after a Davis DL stint. I am certain the Sox monitored other team's catching situations and as it turns out, correctly assumed no one would claim Davis. 15 days from now ... who knows. Somebody's catcher may get hurt and suddenly Davis is more attractive via a waiver claim.

They were either afraid to lose Widger or flat out didn't want to lose him based on whatever he's shown in Tucson.

If the Sox were as cheap as some claim, they could've dumped Davis off in a trade, eaten some salary and gotten off the hook for the rest. They've told Davis they want to keep him, which means $1M for a catcher at AAA.

The Sox obviously felt, and I agree with the approach, that catching depth is very important.

I'm still dissapointed Burke will not receive his chance.

Not passing judgement here because again, I like Burke too ...

But this speaks loud and clear about where Burke stacks up as a catcher in the Sox plans. They don't even consider him their #3 guy and will pay Davis $1M to catch at AAA for depth purposes (assuming Davis accepts).

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 10:40 PM)
The Ben Davis steroid rumors were made about 3 years ago.  They were well before the latest craze of saying anyone and everyone was on the juice.

I made a post in the sportsbar thread about steroids that pretty well sums up what I think about all these random accusations coming out now that the scandal as broke.

TUCSON, Ariz. -- Since as far back as SoxFest in January, Ozzie Guillen talked about his desire to have a quality right-handed hitter off the bench during the 2005 season.

On Wednesday afternoon, Pablo Ozuna and Chris Widger became right-handed options for the White Sox manager. In order to make room for Widger, a non-roster invitee to Spring Training at catcher, the White Sox will outright Ben Davis to Triple-A Charlotte on Thursday.

Out of minor league options, Davis was put on waivers. Guillen, who told Davis of the news after the catcher asked for a meeting to clarify his situation, explained the White Sox's desire to keep Davis in the organization. Davis could decline the assignment and opt for free agency, but he would forfeit a $1 million contract signed the day after the White Sox non-tendered him in December.

Davis, who was sidelined early last week with a torn ligament in his right index finger, declined comment after receiving the news. General manager Ken Williams was under the weather Wednesday and did not attend the Cactus League game against Arizona. But Guillen, speaking for the team, praised chairman Jerry Reinsdorf for allowing the option of keeping Davis as part of organization, even with a considerably higher salary than most minor leaguers.

"I talked to him and I said, 'We want you here,'" said Guillen of his private talk with Davis. "You never know what will happen, but it's up to him whether he wants to stay with us or not.

"To me, I think Jerry did a tremendous thing for us, for me to keep this guy in the organization. It's a lot of money involved, and Jerry did it because he wanted the team to get better, and we know we're going to need this guy. Hopefully not soon, but we will need him."

Davis, who turned 28 on March 10, came over to the White Sox from Seattle with Freddy Garcia on June 27, 2004 in exchange for catcher Miguel Olivo, outfielder Jeremy Reed and infielder Michael Morse. Davis showed signs of breaking out offensively, after batting .091 over 33 at-bats for the Mariners. He hit .407 (22-for-54), with five doubles, three home runs and 10 RBIs in 19 games from July 22 to Aug. 18 with the Sox.

But he also finished the 2004 season with a 0-for-25 slide from Sept. 14 to Sept. 29, leaving him with a .207 average in 68 games overall. Davis was slated to compete with Jamie Burke for the starting catcher's position in 2005, until A.J. Pierzynski signed Jan. 6.

Now, both Davis and Burke appear headed to Charlotte. Although Davis is a switch-hitter, the White Sox prefer him from the left side. He hit .222 with five home runs left-handed last year, but only .172 with one home run as a right-hander.

Guillen didn't want two primarily left-handed hitting catchers, and felt that Widger would handle the spot-start and pinch-hitting roles better than Burke. Widger was completely out of baseball in 2004, aside from time spent with the independent Atlantic League's Camden Riversharks, but the 33-year-old has played in parts of eight Major League seasons. His top effort was in 1999, when he hit .264 with 14 home runs and 56 RBIs for Montreal.

"We liked the way he received the ball better. He has more experience," said Guillen of Widger, compared to another right-handed catching option such as Burke. "It's hard for us to say who we keep, because Burkie and Davis are great kids who get along with everyone.

"But we tried to get the best team we can get. Maybe we are wrong, but that's why we did it."

The White Sox roster officially stands at 28. Outfielder Joe Borchard and pitcher Jon Adkins were optioned to Charlotte, Burke and pitcher Brandon McCarthy were reassigned to minor league camp and right-hander Felix Diaz was placed on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to March 25, with a strained muscle in the back of his right shoulder.

News and features:

• Pain-free outing has Buehrle ready

• White Sox notes: Thomas open to minors rehab

• Rockies just beat out White Sox

Multimedia:

• Scott Merkin reports from camp

• Ken Williams on offseason moves

• MLB.com's Scott Merkin on White Sox's offseason

Info: Schedule | Ballpark | Tickets

MLB.com's complete coverage

Borchard will play his fourth season as part of the Knights, while McCarthy, who would have made the team if the fifth starter's job remained open, said the reassignment lit a fire under him to continue fighting for improvement. Adkins, meanwhile, left the ultimate lasting impression, throwing five shutout innings against Arizona, allowing only Luis Gonzalez's first-inning double.

"It's tough with your mindset, but you have to go out there and perform," said Adkins, who will start on Opening Day for Charlotte. "You want to go out there and leave them with a good impression the last time you go out."

"Wherever you go, you can gain something," Borchard added. "Let's face it: Triple-A baseball isn't exactly easy. There are great players down there. If you sit back and say 'Here we go again. I'm going back to Triple-A,' that's not going to help you. There are guys down there who are pretty hungry to go back to this level. I have to go down there with that same attitude."

Actually, only one roster spot remains to be decided. The move with Davis becoming official and Frank Thomas being placed on the 15-day disabled list reduces the roster to 26. Left-handed reliever Kevin Walker is still in the mix, according to Guillen, as the team decides whether it needs 11 or 12 pitchers.

Dustin Hermanson's suspension being reduced to one game on Wednesday could push the White Sox toward 11. There also doesn't appear to be a spot for Walker to take, with everyone else, including Ozuna, looking to be locked in.

Then again, the White Sox proved Wednesday that they are more than willing to make a surprise move or two, regardless of the money involved. The key for Reinsdorf, Williams and Guillen is building a winner.

"We have so many guys who should be on the team, but too bad there are only 25 guys on the roster," Guillen said, before continuing on about Davis.

"It's the toughest decision I went through. The look in his face, the look in his eyes," Guillen added. "We went through a lot of things to figure out how we're going to do this, and it was not easy.

"I think this kid did everything in his power. We love this kid. He's fun. He's great as part of the team. Everyone likes him, but changes happen

QUOTE(JimH @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 08:38 PM)
They could have DL'd him but as you say this gives them more flexibility.

Let's face it, it gives them better catching depth.  They could have easily dumped him in a trade and eaten some or most of the salary.

Guillen specifically said they wanted to keep him in the organization.

What this means:

They really like what Widger can do.  A 15 day disabled list stint didn't provide enough time to sort out the Widger/Davis battle.  They want both guys in the organization, as I said, it gives them excellent depth at catcher.

Purely speculation, but with everybody paring down rosters at the moment, it may have been easier to get Davis through waivers now vs. 15 days from now, i.e. after a Davis DL stint.  I am certain the Sox monitored other team's catching situations and as it turns out, correctly assumed no one would claim Davis.  15 days from now ... who knows.  Somebody's catcher may get hurt and suddenly Davis is more attractive via a waiver claim.

They were either afraid to lose Widger or flat out didn't want to lose him based on whatever he's shown in Tucson.

If the Sox were as cheap as some claim, they could've dumped Davis off in a trade, eaten some salary and gotten off the hook for the rest.  They've told Davis they want to keep him, which means $1M for a catcher at AAA.

The Sox obviously felt, and I agree with the approach, that catching depth is very important.

Makes sense to me. On a sidenote, I just checked my email and from what I know Walker will be in Charlotte. I may of jumped the gun but after re-reading it I'm pretty confident in that.

QUOTE(chisox2334 @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 08:43 PM)
TUCSON, Ariz. -- Since as far back as SoxFest in January, Ozzie Guillen talked about his desire to have a quality right-handed hitter off the bench during the 2005 season.

On Wednesday afternoon, Pablo Ozuna and Chris Widger became right-handed options for the White Sox manager. In order to make room for Widger, a non-roster invitee to Spring Training at catcher, the White Sox will outright Ben Davis to Triple-A Charlotte on Thursday.

Out of minor league options, Davis was put on waivers. Guillen, who told Davis of the news after the catcher asked for a meeting to clarify his situation, explained the White Sox's desire to keep Davis in the organization. Davis could decline the assignment and opt for free agency, but he would forfeit a $1 million contract signed the day after the White Sox non-tendered him in December.

Davis, who was sidelined early last week with a torn ligament in his right index finger, declined comment after receiving the news. General manager Ken Williams was under the weather Wednesday and did not attend the Cactus League game against Arizona. But Guillen, speaking for the team, praised chairman Jerry Reinsdorf for allowing the option of keeping Davis as part of organization, even with a considerably higher salary than most minor leaguers.

"I talked to him and I said, 'We want you here,'" said Guillen of his private talk with Davis. "You never know what will happen, but it's up to him whether he wants to stay with us or not.

"To me, I think Jerry did a tremendous thing for us, for me to keep this guy in the organization. It's a lot of money involved, and Jerry did it because he wanted the team to get better, and we know we're going to need this guy. Hopefully not soon, but we will need him."

Davis, who turned 28 on March 10, came over to the White Sox from Seattle with Freddy Garcia on June 27, 2004 in exchange for catcher Miguel Olivo, outfielder Jeremy Reed and infielder Michael Morse. Davis showed signs of breaking out offensively, after batting .091 over 33 at-bats for the Mariners. He hit .407 (22-for-54), with five doubles, three home runs and 10 RBIs in 19 games from July 22 to Aug. 18 with the Sox.

But he also finished the 2004 season with a 0-for-25 slide from Sept. 14 to Sept. 29, leaving him with a .207 average in 68 games overall. Davis was slated to compete with Jamie Burke for the starting catcher's position in 2005, until A.J. Pierzynski signed Jan. 6.

Now, both Davis and Burke appear headed to Charlotte. Although Davis is a switch-hitter, the White Sox prefer him from the left side. He hit .222 with five home runs left-handed last year, but only .172 with one home run as a right-hander.

Guillen didn't want two primarily left-handed hitting catchers, and felt that Widger would handle the spot-start and pinch-hitting roles better than Burke. Widger was completely out of baseball in 2004, aside from time spent with the independent Atlantic League's Camden Riversharks, but the 33-year-old has played in parts of eight Major League seasons. His top effort was in 1999, when he hit .264 with 14 home runs and 56 RBIs for Montreal.

"We liked the way he received the ball better. He has more experience," said Guillen of Widger, compared to another right-handed catching option such as Burke. "It's hard for us to say who we keep, because Burkie and Davis are great kids who get along with everyone.

"But we tried to get the best team we can get. Maybe we are wrong, but that's why we did it."

The White Sox roster officially stands at 28. Outfielder Joe Borchard and pitcher Jon Adkins were optioned to Charlotte, Burke and pitcher Brandon McCarthy were reassigned to minor league camp and right-hander Felix Diaz was placed on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to March 25, with a strained muscle in the back of his right shoulder.

News and features:

• Pain-free outing has Buehrle ready

• White Sox notes: Thomas open to minors rehab

• Rockies just beat out White Sox

Multimedia:

• Scott Merkin reports from camp

• Ken Williams on offseason moves

• MLB.com's Scott Merkin on White Sox's offseason

Info:  Schedule  | Ballpark  |  Tickets

MLB.com's complete coverage

Borchard will play his fourth season as part of the Knights, while McCarthy, who would have made the team if the fifth starter's job remained open, said the reassignment lit a fire under him to continue fighting for improvement. Adkins, meanwhile, left the ultimate lasting impression, throwing five shutout innings against Arizona, allowing only Luis Gonzalez's first-inning double.

"It's tough with your mindset, but you have to go out there and perform," said Adkins, who will start on Opening Day for Charlotte. "You want to go out there and leave them with a good impression the last time you go out."

"Wherever you go, you can gain something," Borchard added. "Let's face it: Triple-A baseball isn't exactly easy. There are great players down there. If you sit back and say 'Here we go again. I'm going back to Triple-A,' that's not going to help you. There are guys down there who are pretty hungry to go back to this level. I have to go down there with that same attitude."

Actually, only one roster spot remains to be decided. The move with Davis becoming official and Frank Thomas being placed on the 15-day disabled list reduces the roster to 26. Left-handed reliever Kevin Walker is still in the mix, according to Guillen, as the team decides whether it needs 11 or 12 pitchers.

Dustin Hermanson's suspension being reduced to one game on Wednesday could push the White Sox toward 11. There also doesn't appear to be a spot for Walker to take, with everyone else, including Ozuna, looking to be locked in.

Then again, the White Sox proved Wednesday that they are more than willing to make a surprise move or two, regardless of the money involved. The key for Reinsdorf, Williams and Guillen is building a winner.

"We have so many guys who should be on the team, but too bad there are only 25 guys on the roster," Guillen said, before continuing on about Davis.

"It's the toughest decision I went through. The look in his face, the look in his eyes," Guillen added. "We went through a lot of things to figure out how we're going to do this, and it was not easy.

"I think this kid did everything in his power. We love this kid. He's fun. He's great as part of the team. Everyone likes him, but changes happen

I'm confused, here it says the roster is down to 28 but with Davis gone. Aren't Thomas, Widger, and Walker all competing for the 25th spot? Meaning that 27 are left on the roster?

I kind of broke down whats going on in an article I just put up @ FS

There may be some grammar errors, but it pretty much breaks down how everything stands. 

http://www.futuresox.com/phpnuke/modules.p...=article&sid=36

In other news the Chicago White Sox signed veteran RHP Robert Person, 35, to a minor league contract. Person will start the year in extended spring training. Person was expected to make a run at the #5 spot in the rotation last spring, but tore his achilles at the beginning of spring training and missed the entire season. Person last pitched in the majors with the Boston Red Sox.

The Sox got Robert Person back?!? :lol:

By the way, the reason the Sox chose to keep Widger is because chicks dig the Fu Manchu...

ph_124234.jpg

They should make a commercial for Widger like the "Hotty Scotty" Podsednik ad. :bang

Edited by Jabroni

Basically because Widger can handle catchers better. Has nothing to do with the bat, more that Widger is a more experienced catcher.

Personally I like Burke behind the plate, but he isn't as experienced as a guy like Widger.

We'll see what Widge can do playing every once in a while. One thing this move assures is that Pyrz will be getting a heck of a lot of AB's, imo, so hopefully he hits better during the season then he did in spring.

I think he will too...he's gonna be huge for the Sox.

QUOTE(Beastly @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 09:16 PM)
I still don't see why they didn't keep Burke...he's a lot better than Widger.

Davis is a piece of s***, let him go...wish we coulda gotten Kim tho instead of the Rockies.

Nah, Kim is due 6 mill or so and can barely throw 87 MPH. Politte is lightyears better then him at this point (a healthy Kim is better, but its been a while since Kim was that).

Politte is much better then he pitched in the spring anyway. Plus you can't complain about a guy like him when you think he's the Sox 5th best reliever (Shingo, Vizcaino, Hermy, Marte are all better).

I still don't see why they didn't keep Burke...he's a lot better than Widger.

Davis is a piece of s***, let him go...wish we coulda gotten Kim tho instead of the Rockies.

The Red Sox wouldn't have wanted Ben Davis. Boston took on Charles Johnson's salary and Colorado took on Kim's salary so it would be an even swap of money. The Red Sox waived Johnson right after the trade was finalized. Boston made the trade because they wanted the good prospect they got from the Rockies -- Chris Narveson. They never needed a catcher since they have Varitek and Mirabelli. Would you really want Kim considering he is coming off of an arm injury and he has a $6 million salary? Adkins is probably better than him at this point.

Edited by Jabroni

Widger was chosen over Burke because he is a better defensive catcher (take note of this JUGGERNAUT ;)). Widger was chosen over Davis because Davis only hits well from the left side. Ozzie wanted another right-handed bat available off the bench other than Ozuna. I'm sure the torn ligament in Davis' right index finger had something to do with it as well.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Mar 31, 2005 -> 03:29 AM)
I'm glad we can spend 1+ mil on our AAA catcher.

Not necissarily. Davis is being optioned to AAA which means he can choose the demotion and his contract remains or opt out and become a free agent. If he opts out then his contract is void and he doesn't get paid.