Kerry Wood blames Stone for '04 discord

"Wood blames Stone for '04 discord"

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-cubs-headlines

By Paul Sullivan

Tribune staff reporter

March 30, 2005, 8:57 PM CST

MESA, Ariz. -- Kerry Wood declined to get into a debate over criticism leveled against him over the reason for his shoulder injury.

Asked about Steve Stone's radio commentary, where the former Cubs broadcaster advised Wood to "go sell cars" if he doesn't want to alter his mechanics, Wood sidestepped the issue. Wood said he believes Stone ignited some of the controversies of last season.

"[stone's comment] speaks more about what happened last year," he said. "That's a sure sign of where [the controversies] started. I came to spring training, doing my job, and all of a sudden that stuff starts coming up?

"I choose not to comment on it. I choose not to say anything back. It's a waste of time, a waste of breath and a waste of ink."

As for criticism of his mechanics in general, Wood said he felt good Wednesday. He left a message for what he described as the "experts" who don't approve of his mechanics.

"Write me letters," he said. "Teach me how to pitch."

That Trib article takes Stones comments way out of context, making Stone look bad IMO

Listening to the whole interview Stone was asked by Boers and Bernstein, which Stone is a paid analyst for the Score now, about Kerry Wood's mechanics. Stone then said numerous scouts and people in the Cubs organization have told him he most likely needs to change his mechanics to have a long and healthy career, and then Stone said something along the lines of; "if you want to take all the money you made and not change your mechanics you can go sell cars, but if you want a long career you have to change your mechanics."

IMO he was asked a legitimate question about Wood's mechanics, and he basically said he needs to change them or he will be hurt all the time.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Apr 1, 2005 -> 01:47 AM)
That Trib article takes Stones comments way out of context, making Stone look bad IMO

Listening to the whole interview Stone was asked by Boers and Bernstein, which Stone is a paid analyst for the Score now, about Kerry Wood's mechanics.  Stone then said numerous scouts and people in the Cubs organization have told him he most likely needs to change his mechanics to have a long and healthy career, and then Stone said something along the lines of; "if you want to take all the money you made and not change  your mechanics you can go sell cars, but if you want a long career you have to change your mechanics."

IMO he was asked a legitimate question about Wood's mechanics, and he basically said he needs to change them or he will be hurt all the time.

I hope Soxfan101 read this.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Mar 31, 2005 -> 08:09 PM)
i did read that and he still said the comment at the end that wasnt needed,  and none the less how you you blame Wood on this he said im done with that crap no more comments.

Because he's a CUB! :headshake

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Apr 1, 2005 -> 01:47 AM)

Listening to the whole interview Stone was asked by Boers and Bernstein, which Stone is a paid analyst for the Score now, about Kerry Wood's mechanics.  Stone then said numerous scouts and people in the Cubs organization have told him he most likely needs to change his mechanics to have a long and healthy career, and then Stone said something along the lines of; "if you want to take all the money you made and not change  your mechanics you can go sell cars, but if you want a long career you have to change your mechanics."

I thought the same thing in reading the article, having heard Stone on with B+ B. Stone had a lot of praise for Wood. Yet if Wood doesn't think he needs to change his mechanics [or something] in order to start 30 games a year, he's crazy. what he's been doing up to now hasn't worked. Isn't that the definition of insanity, doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result? that's what Wood has been doing since he came up. I think Stone used more tact than Wood deserved. The guy has to learn to pitch, not just throw.

QUOTE(CubsPride34 @ Apr 1, 2005 -> 11:55 AM)
Wood's my favorite player.

Stone was out of line criticizing all last year. He needed to stay in the booth and stay out of the players' business.

I am sorry but if a professional Baseball Player gets that upset over a TV broadcaster then he needs to find a new profession.

QUOTE(CubsPride34 @ Apr 1, 2005 -> 11:55 AM)
Wood's my favorite player.

Stone was out of line criticizing all last year. He needed to stay in the booth and stay out of the players' business.

Please, dude, take off the goggles.

The announcers had absolutely ZERO to do with the Cubs' failure last year.

The Cubs gagged on the pressure of finally having expectations, then they paid WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much attention to what the announcers were saying and their substitute teacher of a manager didn't tell them to shut the f*** up and play better.

There is NO EXCUSE for Kent Mercker to call the broadcast booth whining DURING A GAME. None.

The announcers didn't fall apart like wet cardboard against the Mets, Pirates and Reds in the last week of the season. The PLAYERS did, and the MANAGER did.

Blaming the announcers for "distracting" them is a classic example of scapegoating. OOOOPS, I SAID "GOAT".....

The Cubs have enough talent to compete seriously for a championship, but it reamins to be seen if they have the stomach for the pressure.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Apr 1, 2005 -> 12:12 PM)

The Cubs gagged on the pressure of finally having expectations, then they paid WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much attention to what the announcers were saying and their substitute teacher of a manager didn't tell them to shut the f*** up and play better.

There is NO EXCUSE for Kent Mercker to call the broadcast booth whining DURING A GAME. None.

The announcers didn't fall apart like wet cardboard against the Mets, Pirates and Reds in the last week of the season. The PLAYERS did, and the MANAGER did.

Blaming the announcers for "distracting" them is a classic example of scapegoating. OOOOPS, I SAID "GOAT".....

The Cubs have enough talent to compete seriously for a championship, but it reamins to be seen if they have the stomach for the pressure.

Totally agree I hear all of this Prior and Wood stuff and can't help thinking this team had the WC Lead with 15 play and a schedule that involved @ NYM, Cincinnati at home and Pittsburg. It is a simple fact that Houston wanted it more than the Cubs

QUOTE(BHAMBARONS @ Apr 1, 2005 -> 12:17 PM)
Totally agree I hear all of this Prior and Wood stuff and can't help thinking this team had the WC Lead with 15 play and a schedule that involved @ NYM, Cincinnati at home and Pittsburg. It is a simple fact that Houston wanted it more than the Cubs

They didn't want to choke in the playoffs again, so .....

QUOTE(The Critic @ Apr 1, 2005 -> 12:12 PM)

:cheers , :bang , and :notworthy to this post. Great! Substitute teacher of a manager

I'll be laughing at that one for a long time.