Widger??

BlackBetsy

I just don't understand keeping Widger. Widger is (1) new to the team and to the Sox pitching staff; (2) the worst hitter of Davis, Burke and Widger; and (3) the oldest.

It doesn't make any sense. Jamie Burke has done nothing but hit and play well for the White Sox. Buehrle loves throwing to him. Ben Davis has had a decent spring, albeit with injuries, and makes $1 million per year.

Chris Widger?? It just doesn't make sense.

There has to be more to this story.

It's all about flying under the radar

If we wanted an old backup catcher, why not keep Sandy?

In the end, this will not factor in a single win or loss this season.

BTW, IMHO, Widger will not be here in July. This could be a giant :finger wakeup call for Davis.

Edited by Texsox

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 1, 2005 -> 01:11 AM)
It's all about flying under the radar

If we wanted an old backup catcher, why not keep Sandy?

In the end, this will not factor in a single win or loss this season.

BTW, IMHO, Widger will not be here in July. This could be a giant  :finger wakeup call for Davis.

I've heard other teams didn't want to claim Davis not only because of his injury, but because they don't think he can handle being a backup instead of a starter.

And Sandy's got nothing left, he was brutal defensively behind the plate, perhaps Widger is an upgrade on Burke on that regard? Although, in 2002, Widger threw out 6 of 18 runners and had a CERA of 4.39, while Burke last season threw out 8 of 19 runners and had a CERA of 4.78.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 31, 2005 -> 09:19 AM)
I've heard other teams didn't want to claim Davis not only because of his injury, but because they don't think he can handle being a backup instead of a starter.

And Sandy's got nothing left, he was brutal defensively behind the plate, perhaps Widger is an upgrade on Burke on that regard? Although, in 2002, Widger threw out 6 of 18 runners and had a CERA of 4.39, while Burke last season threw out 8 of 19 runners and had a CERA of 4.78.

Once again, I wouldn't read too much into Burkes CS% as he was MB's catcher.

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ Mar 31, 2005 -> 10:05 AM)
I just don't understand keeping Widger.  Widger is (1) new to the team and to the Sox pitching staff; (2) the worst hitter of Davis, Burke and Widger; and (3) the oldest. 

It doesn't make any sense.  Jamie Burke has done nothing but hit and play well for the White Sox.  Buehrle loves throwing to him.  Ben Davis has had a decent spring, albeit with injuries, and makes $1 million per year.

Chris Widger??  It just doesn't make sense.

There has to be more to this story.

The sun times says Widger received rave reviews from the pitchers for his catching. So I guess that is it.

Was Ben hitting .350?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 1, 2005 -> 01:24 AM)
Once again, I wouldn't read too much into Burkes CS% as he was MB's catcher.

Ahh yes my bad, I don't won't you to get into a whole Juggs argument with me now. ;)

The catcher position is totally different from any other position in regards to importance. What you have is solid veteran catcher, that is not washed up ala Alomar, who knows how to work with a pitching staff. Burke, for all his magic with the bat last year, was very rough defensively. He was not a very good "receiver". He allowed too many passed balls and wasn't great a preventing the wild pitch. And the dude could not hold on to a throw from the outfield on a play at the plate, if his life depended on it. And that was before the Hunter incident. I'm sure the decision to keep Widger involved KW, Ozzie, Coop and the pitching staff to an extent.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 31, 2005 -> 08:35 AM)
The catcher position is totally different from any other position in regards to importance.  What you have is solid veteran catcher, that is not washed up ala Alomar, who knows how to work with a pitching staff.  Burke, for all his magic with the bat last year, was very rough defensively.  He was not a very good "receiver".  He allowed too many passed balls and wasn't great a preventing the wild pitch.  And the dude could not hold on to a throw from the outfield on a play at the plate, if his life depended on it.  And that was before the Hunter incident.  I'm sure the decision to keep Widger involved KW, Ozzie, Coop and the pitching staff to an extent.

You hit it right on the head. Couldn't have said it better myself. :cheers

The catcher position is totally different from any other position in regards to importance.  What you have is solid veteran catcher, that is not washed up ala Alomar, who knows how to work with a pitching staff.  Burke, for all his magic with the bat last year, was very rough defensively.  He was not a very good "receiver".  He allowed too many passed balls and wasn't great a preventing the wild pitch.  And the dude could not hold on to a throw from the outfield on a play at the plate, if his life depended on it.  And that was before the Hunter incident.  I'm sure the decision to keep Widger involved KW, Ozzie, Coop and the pitching staff to an extent.

Great post.

This should be resurrected every time somebody trots out the "why do the White Sox s*** on Jamie Burke" mantra.

I agree with Tex about this being a wake up call for Ben Davis, whether he agrees to the Charlotte assignment or not.

QUOTE(JimH @ Mar 31, 2005 -> 09:52 AM)
Great post.

This should be resurrected every time somebody trots out the "why do the White Sox s*** on Jamie Burke" mantra.

I agree with Tex about this being a wake up call for Ben Davis, whether he agrees to the Charlotte assignment or not.

Davis had his wake up call when Seattle sent him to minors before the '04 season.

Edited to add: Actually, I think he started the season on the big club, but sucked so bad they sent him down early.

Edited by YASNY

All this talk about backup catchers is a little well, meh....

IMO, if the three headed monster of Widger, Davis and Burke see more than 175 AB's this year combined we are in big trouble. AJ should and will see the majority of the playing time.

Your backup catcher should be solid defensively, be able to stay healthy and if he is able to carry a bat to the plate is good enough for me. Sandy was pretty bad last year. Burke, once again a good guy who put his time in, is nothing more and nothing less. He is below average defensively (no matter where you put him). He's well for lack of a better word, OLD, and he hit relatively well last year but I wouldnt bank on his consistent inside-out sawed-off singles into right field on a timely basis.

So lets not fret we have AJ, hopefully he stays healthy and were good to go :headbang

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 31, 2005 -> 09:35 AM)

:notworthy Epic post.

Widger is the better receiver. We need no offensive production from the backup catcher position. That said, I still think Widger has better power potential (no matter how limited).

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Mar 31, 2005 -> 10:25 AM)
Don't forget that the entire bench, with Davis, was left handed batters.  Timo, Willie and Ross.  With Widger, you have a RH batter with some pop.  Then you have your slasher with Ozuna.  Now they have a balanced bench.

The bottom line is that the powers that be felt the Widger would fit better with the team than Burke or Davis. I'm sure it's combination of pros and cons that have been weighed. I don't see what all the consternation over a career minor league non-roster invitee is all about.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 31, 2005 -> 04:32 PM)
The bottom line is that the powers that be felt the Widger would fit better with the team than Burke or Davis.  I'm sure it's combination of pros and cons that have been weighed.  I don't see what all the consternation over a career minor league non-roster invitee is all about.

its called a suprise

Let's make this simple for the Burke detractors. If he holds onto the ball on the Hunter play & Hunter is called out he's the backup C. What we've learned in the first season of OZ is that OZ never forgets. If he sees a play which paints you as weak or gutless in his opinion it stays with him. He never looks at you the same way again.

That's why Lee's gone & Burke's in Charlotte. For all those people who feel a need to knock Burke's game calling & defense it certainly didn't seem to effect the win totals much. The team had 17W, 8L behind Burke & if you take out Mark's starts it's still an impressive 8W, 4L. If you scale that to a full season it's over 100 wins.

In Widger's defense I will say this much. Burke never caught Contreras or Hernandez & they are notorious for throwing pitches in the dirt. More so than Shingo & Marte. From what I've read of Widger & from the numbers it does look like he has sure hands & is adept at blocking the dirt pitches.

If ST is any indication Contreras looks worse than 04 control wise. The better glove is probably the right choice.

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Mar 31, 2005 -> 12:15 PM)
Let's make this simple for the Burke detractors.  If he holds onto the ball on the Hunter play & Hunter is called out he's the backup C.  What we've learned in the first season of OZ is that OZ never forgets.  If he sees a play which paints you as weak or gutless in his opinion it stays with him.  He never looks at you the same way again. 

I have no doubt in my mind that this play had little if anything to do with the decision to send Burke to AAA.

This statement is based on assumptions you are making and has no facts to back it up whatsoever.

Basically what you just said is that if a particular player makes a bad play in the eyes of Ozzie, he holds that against the player for good, which I don't believe for one second.

Sorry but this was just a ridiculous statement to make.

Edited by aboz56