neyer

I haven't heard/read his exact comments but I am thinking it has something to do with run differentials and how ours are always great. Rob needs to get over his anti-Minnesota angle. It really irks him that they win with an anti-moneyball philosophy. As much as I hate Minnesota, and I do, I'd love to hear what Neyer would say abotu an Anaheim-Minnesota ALCS. I'm sure he'd just call it luck,

So let me get the theme of this site right...

if you don't pick the sox you're an idiot.

if you do pick the sox you're a gas-bag.

/seems fair.

Once again, I stated why Neyer is a gas-bag. Neyer didn't even know that the White Sox had signed Jermaine Dye when he was reviewing our offseason in one of his ESPN articles. He had the Sox as having one of the 10 worst offseasons in the MLB...

"As bad as it gets"

Monday, January 31

Chicago White Sox

Gained: Tadahito Iguchi, A.J. Pierzynski, Orlando Hernandez, Scott Podsednik

Lost: Carlos Lee

It might reasonably be argued that the White Sox don't belong on this list, especially considering that I've left the Reds off the list. But that Lee-for-Podsednik trade just keeps eating at me, and I suspect that only Iguchi, who of course is unknown to most of us, is capable of saving this winter for the Sox.

And then in his next article...

"Difficult to quantify outfield arms"

Friday, February 4

Following up on another column, just as I was overwhelmed with e-mail about Dwight Evans, earlier this week I was overwhelmed with e-mail about Jermaine Dye. As in, "How could you write about the White Sox's offseason moves and not mention Jermaine Dye?"

Guilty as charged. My source for offseason moves left something to be desired (which is the source's fault) and I didn't take the time to double-check (which of course was my fault). I'm still not convinced the White Sox got much better this winter, but signing Jermaine Dye probably does remove them from the "10 Teams That Did the Least to Help Themselves" list. So if you're a White Sox fan, feel free to replace them with the Reds or the Phillies.

Give me a break, Neyer is a hack. It's nice that he picked the Sox but he's still bad at what he does. How could you miss a major signing for the team's offseason that you are reviewing?

Edited by Jabroni

I wasn't criticizing the pick, just his "likely" reasonign which I have never heard. It's just a hunch from reading him over the years. I actually like Neyer even though I often disagree with him. He's always been great about sending me back e-mail responses. He's just one of those guys with different views

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Mar 31, 2005 -> 10:13 PM)

/seems fair.

If you pick the Sox -- and praise every move they made, I think you're in the clear... :D

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Mar 31, 2005 -> 10:32 PM)
No, but if you don't even know all of the moves that a team made during their offseason or care to double-check, what credibility do you have?

Got it. A journalist who forgets a single signing (and then publicly admits his mistake) is clearly an utter moron, worthy only of derision till the end of his career.

So does this apply to posters too?

Got it.  A journalist who forgets a single signing (and then publicly admits his mistake) is clearly an utter moron, worthy only of derision till the end of his career.

Neyer did not know about the Dye signing and did not even double-check his "sources" yet he still wrote an article saying that the White Sox had one of the 10 worst offseasons in baseball. He allowed this article to be published at ESPN.com. Now he is picking the White Sox to win the A.L. Central?

Neyer may not be an utter moron but he is clearly a hack.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Mar 31, 2005 -> 05:55 PM)
Neyer did not know about the Dye signing and did not even double-check his "sources" yet he still wrote an article saying that the White Sox had one of the 10 worst offseasons in baseball.  He allowed this article to be published at ESPN.com.  Now he is picking the White Sox to win the A.L. Central?

Some could argue that the A's had quite possibly the worst offseason in the majors. Tear apart the big 3 and have 3 young starters(or maybe 2 young starters and that Japanese pitcher they signed too)? Yet they could also make an argument as to why they will win the division...a very solid offense from 1-9 and a very strong bullpen, to go along with a patchwork rotation will still win a lot of games - just ask Minnesota.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Mar 31, 2005 -> 11:55 PM)
Neyer did not know about the Dye signing and did not even double-check his "sources" yet he still wrote an article saying that the White Sox had one of the top 10 worst offseasons in baseball.  He allowed this article to be published at ESPN.com.

He made a mistake and admitted it. That's why all newspapers have the little oops square -- this happens every day.

If you want to argue with his analysis, go ahead. But the NYT makes dumb mistakes, that doesn't mean it's a "hack" paper. Deadlines mean errors, deal with it.

He made a mistake and admitted it.  That's why all newspapers have the little oops square -- this happens every day.

If you want to argue with his analysis, go ahead.  But the NYT makes dumb mistakes, that doesn't mean it's a "hack" paper.  Deadlines mean errors, deal with it.

Then explain to me why Neyer is now picking the White Sox to win the A.L. Central after saying that they had one of the 10 worst offseasons in baseball. Sounds pretty ridiculous to me. It's almost like he heard from someone else that the White Sox would be good this season so he just agreed.

HACK.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Apr 1, 2005 -> 12:11 AM)
Then explain to me why Neyer is now picking the White Sox to win the A.L. Central after saying that they had one of the 10 worst offseasons in baseball.  Sounds pretty ridiculous to me.  It's almost like he heard from someone else that the White Sox would be good this season so he just agreed.

HACK.

Umm... He changed his mind after learning of the Dye signing. From the article that YOU cited: "signing Jermaine Dye probably does remove them from the '10 Teams That Did the Least to Help Themselves' list". Did you not read this before posting it?

So if he thought they didn't improve much, but probably just had bad luck last year, he'd still pick them to win if noone else improved much (which seems obvious in this division, except arguably Detroit).

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Mar 31, 2005 -> 05:13 PM)

/seems fair.

Let's add to this list. If you don't talk about the Sox you're awful. Wow, the media is horrible these days. :bang

Umm...  He changed his mind after learning of the Dye signing.  From the article that YOU cited:  "signing Jermaine Dye probably does remove them from the '10 Teams That Did the Least to Help Themselves' list".  Did you not read this before posting it?

So if he thought they didn't improve much, but probably just had bad luck last year, he'd still pick them to win if noone else improved much (which seems obvious in this division, except arguably Detroit).

So in Neyer's opinion, signing Dye removed the Sox from the list of 10 teams that had the worst offseason and made them the favorite to win the A.L. Central?

Are you for real? The guy is a back-tracking hack. How are you defending this kind of rubbish? :headshake

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Mar 31, 2005 -> 06:11 PM)
Then explain to me why Neyer is now picking the White Sox to win the A.L. Central after saying that they had one of the 10 worst offseasons in baseball.  Sounds pretty ridiculous to me.  It's almost like he heard from someone else that the White Sox would be good this season so he just agreed.

HACK.

look up

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Apr 1, 2005 -> 12:25 AM)
So in Neyer's opinion, signing Dye removed the Sox from the list of 10 teams that had the worst offseason and made them the favorite to win the A.L. Central?

Are you for real?  The guy is a back-tracking hack.  How are you defending this kind of rubbish? :headshake

Neyer says without signing Dye, the Sox have (he admits, arguably) one of the 10 worst offseasons in baseball. If they do, then they are better than 10, middle of the pack. Minnesota and Cleveland also don't do much, are middle of the pack. The Sox had some bad luck last year, plus the fact that Minnesota has a very weak infield, means the Sox win this year. Pretty simple, entirely consistent...unless one has a bone to pick.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Apr 1, 2005 -> 12:31 AM)
Neyer says without signing Dye, the Sox have (he admits, arguably) one of the 10 worst offseasons in baseball.  If they do, then they are better than 10, middle of the pack.  Minnesota and Cleveland also don't do much, are middle of the pack.  The Sox had some bad luck last year, plus the fact that Minnesota has a very weak infield, means the Sox win this year.  Pretty simple, entirely consistent...unless one has a bone to pick.

HACK!

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 31, 2005 -> 05:51 PM)
Got it.  A journalist who forgets a single signing (and then publicly admits his mistake) is clearly an utter moron, worthy only of derision till the end of his career.

There was no excuse for Neyer to forget the Dye signing considering he called Dye the best free agent bargain not too long before writing that article.

He also blamed his "sources" for forgetting to list Dye.

He deserves the criticism.

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Apr 1, 2005 -> 12:38 AM)
There was no excuse for Neyer to forget the Dye signing considering he call Dye the best free agent bargain not too long before writing that article.

He still apologized for forgetting it (which I'll admit, is pretty dumb -- especially when you consider it your best free agent bargain) -- unlike some of our local writers... (Mariotti)

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Apr 1, 2005 -> 12:38 AM)
There was no excuse for Neyer to forget the Dye signing considering he called Dye the best free agent bargain not too long before writing that article.

This logic -- that making one dumb mistake makes your analysis automatic garbage forever more -- I don't agree with that at all. How many posters here would have any credibility left if that rule were applied? This is just a way of trying to attack someone's arguments without looking at the arguments, which I'll never accept.

I know that many people here hate sabermetrics. Fine, don't listen to Neyer. I think sabermetrics has a good deal of value, yet I'm often sceptical of his opinions. But judging from what I've read, he knows a LOT of baseball history, loves the game, and is anything but a 'hack'. Trying to throw out everything he's written on forgetting where the great Jermaine Dye signed (c'mon, "bargain" does not mean "cornerstone") is weak.

Btw, I believe he did put the A's on the 10 worst offseason list -- no?

Yep, I forgot about that. Neyer said that Dye would be one of the best free agent bargain signings of the offseason...

November 12, 2004

Neyer: To Dye for

"Jermaine Dye, Richard Hidalgo and J.D. Drew are among Rob Neyer's best free-agent OF buys for 2005."

... And then he didn't even know which team had signed Dye. :lol: :headshake

Edited by Jabroni